X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

RB-1050 with 804S

Hi there,

I just got an Arcam AVP700 Pre-amp and because of this i do not have much cash left for an amp to do justice with my 804S. Because of this I have considered the RB-1050 which i believe is rated at 70W x 2.

To give you a little background I am currently using a Yamaha 5.1 100W receiver which is not bad. The only problem is that when i really want to jam the receiver shuts off.

How do you think the performance would be coming from my Yamaha with the RB-1050? My room is 17' x 11', do you think i can get enough SPL out of this amp or am i wasting my time?

BTW, this would only be temporary until i have enough for a Bryston!

Thanks,

Steve
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

The RB-1050 will not be enough power - nothing less than the RB-1070 or you will be wasting $$$.

Comment

• Marcel B
      • Nov 2004

Buy used

Marcel B

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by scanido
        i really want to jam
        Then step up to the plate and get those 804's some power... there is no substitute for high amounts of current to a quality loudspeaker.

The 1050 would be money wasted... live with the receiver as a band-aid until the budget is there... don't get anything rated at less than 200w per channel.

If you can ju$tify a plasma (or 804's for that matter), you can ju$tify proper matching audio gear.

No power, no jam.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

You're all right, these 804S need proper amplification! I'll live with my receiver until i can get at least 200w into them.

It kills me just having this AVP700 sit here though! I was hoping the AVP700 coupled with the RB-1050 would at least be world's better than my Yamaha, because Rotel says the amp is "High" current, I guess not.

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Well, the amp is high current, just not high power. A used RB-1080 on Audiogon can be had for $600 (a new RB-1070 lists for $700). My RB-1070 (130w/ch) did just fine with my N804 - just glad I upgraded to 500w/ch.

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

The RB1050 will sound better than the receiver, no doubt about that. However, when you're going to spend, might as well spend it right - even if it's not on a Bryston. Buy used and stretch it just a little and get yourself an amp that you're not wasting your 804S on. Get the 1070 used or 1080 used.
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Boombox
                • Oct 2005

I would agree with Joey_V...

Adding the 1050 will sound better; in addition it will jam and it will not shut off...HOWEVER...your spl will not improve much and the bass will suffer...I don't think you will notice this at first until you add the 1080...get at least the 1070.....you can still trade this one when you are ready to upgrade to the 1080 or Bryston...very few people are interested in the 1050...
                Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I recently bought an RB-1050 and I think it is a great amp. I got it new, heavily discounted at my local dealer.
                  BUT, I bought it to power my rear surrounds Kef bookshelfs via an RSP-1066 with the setting to Small (limiting the LF signal) for the rear channels. In this application it performs admirably, and I have no regrets.

However, I would certainly not recommend this puppy for front mains of the caliber of B&W 804’s. Save up a little more ca$h and buy a used amp of no less than 150-200 wpc IMHO, and you will not be wishing for more power six months down the road.

Trust us, a little more patience and you will be very happy when it's all set up and your getting the most out of that new Arcam.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• shep
                    • Dec 2004

I have the RB-1070 with the 804s, and have been happy with this combo for more than a year. Started looking for a little more 'something' in the music, and made the upgrade to the RB-1090, feeling that the 1080 would not make enough of a difference. Wasn't looking for high SPL, although you will have no problem with this amp. The RB-1090 just improved the bottom end, the low-level dynamics (I'm listening more to jazz and classical), and the sense of presence in the music. All a matter of degree, as these qualities weren't lacking in the 1070, but enough for me to justify the upgrade.

If you are looking for a nearly two year old RB-1070 in excellent condition (w/ original box), PM me. I am in Maryland.

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by shep
                      If you are looking for a nearly two year old RB-1070 in excellent condition (w/ original box), PM me. I am in Maryland.
                      If only i knew this yesterday I would have got it from you! That's alright, thanks anway!

Comment

• miner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by scanido
                        If only i knew this yesterday I would have got it from you! That's alright, thanks anway!
                        Does that mean you made a final decision?

Comment

• scanido
                          • Apr 2006

Thanks for the help everyone!

I decided to push my budget, and borrow some extra funds to pay for a better amp. I usually neveer buy on credit, but you guys swayed me enough to get something more inline with what the 804S's deserve!

So I got the amp i always wanted, a Bryston 4B-ST for a great deal. It's not the newer SST, but i saved a bunch and I probably would not hear the difference.

Thanks again for the advise! I can't wait to hear this new combo out, I'm sure i'll be blown away from the upgrade! Yamaha AVR -> Arcam AVP700 + Bryston 4B-ST :B :B

Steve

Comment

• shep
                            • Dec 2004

You will enjoy it. The better the amp, the better the speakers will sound.

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Bryston 4-B!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

NiiiiiiiCE Choice!!!!!!!!!
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• foeth
                                • Apr 2006

Well, if you have the money, it's hardly a choice :T

Comment

• grit
                                  • Jan 2005

Hehe, thats gonna rock! Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"