X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evan Scussel
    • Jan 2003

RB-1050 and Anthem Compatability Issues...Please Help

Recently I sold my Anthem MCA-5 power amp to upgrade two channel performance. The amp I ordered for main L/R is on order and I decided to buy a used Rotel RB-1050 to power surround speakers down the road, but until my main amp arrives, the RB-1050 is my main amp. I bought it used.

Immediately after hooking it up to the Anthem the sound was horrible. Flat, lifeless, with no real dynamics. I was sure it was a connection problem.

After checking the connections and running numerous tests, here is what is happening. It almost seems as if the signal is "filtered" to the amp...like the output from the Anthem isn't full strength to the Rotel. The reason I deduct this is that at low volumes (around 50db) the Rotel will actually engage auto shut off from the signal triggering feature, even though the signal is clearly audible, even from 10 ft away. I know the gain on the amp is completely full. I also know the input impedance on this amp is less than my previous amp, so there should be no adjustment needed to the output gain in the Anthem to the amp.

I have hooked this amp directly up to my Sony SCD-555ES by adjusting the gain in the Rotel down and I get the sound I am looking for, clear, dynamic and effortless.

I had my previous amp hooked up via XLR and cannot run the Rotel that way because of the fact that it only accepts RCA. I know that a full calibration is in order because running RCA results in a 6db signal loss. I have already done this.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this combo and experienced anything similar. For those of you who have this amp in conjunction with other processors, do you notice the amp engaging in shut down at volumes that would normally be much greater than what you would expect for this behavior to trigger?

Normally I would say the Anthem is at fault here because it seems fine when I run the amp direct to the source, but the fact the amp shuts off automatically is disconcerting. My previous amp also had a signal trigger and it NEVER shut off automatically in 15 months of use no matter how faint the signal. It literally wouldn't exhibit this behavior unless I had NO signal engaged.

Of course I really cannot tell if it's the amp or the processor or a combo of the two until the order for my main amp comes in. Until then I am looking for suggestions. Thanks guys.

Weird.

Still searching for that elusive "perfect" sound.
    Still searching for that elusive "perfect" sound.
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

Evan,
    I won't have my 1050 until Saturday, but Levesque(who's a forum member) has one mated with the 1095. Maybe you can give him a shout.

Oh yeah, BIG TIME congrats on being a moderator. With your passion for music, and knowledge of Anthem gear they couldn't have choosen a better guy.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater
    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"