X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dooher
    • Jul 2010

RSP-1068 still viable?

i have an RSP-1068/RMB-1075, and honestly use it more for music then anything else. Will the 1068 still be viable in a Blu-Ray player + DirectTV HD box + 1080p monitor setup, e.g. what would be the best use of the 1068's inputs to gain maximum advantage (both 5.1 and stereo modes), e.g. should I use the multi channel analog inputs for the BD player, and run TOSLINK for the connection to the DirectTV HD box? Recommendations for this particular setup? Again, love the sound from the 1068, so if I can get away with a decent setup, I want to keep it. Make sense?

Thanks all (in advance).
  • dooher
    • Jul 2010

should have added, "still viable in this world of HDMI...".

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

I can work in that setup but you might want to start considering a rsp1570. This will give you everything over HDMI and have the ability to decode all current audio formats.

The rs1068 is a fine preamp and does sound wonderful , I know I owned it. Toslink to Direct tv and 6 channel out of Blu ray.

It's a HDMI world , it's pretty nice to live in it. All of my gear is connected HDMI , Blu ray / SACD / DVD AUDIO / DVD / CD player , Cablebox(FIOS) , Xbox 360 , Apple TV.

Think about it.

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

dooher,

i have the same hook-up. but i use a oppo 83 because of the 6-channel outputs. you can get the new audio format by using your 6-channel inputs on the rsp-1068. i loved it so much i have a rsp-1066 / rmb-1075 & a sony s550 in the bedroom. love the new audio formats
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• dooher
          • Jul 2010

Cool. I'll take the advice and pick up a new Oppo 83 asap. Thanks all.

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

dooher,

please keep us posted after you demo a few hd audio formats. what's your speaker system?

i'm paradigm ref in main room, energy in bedroom.
            June
            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• dooher
              • Jul 2010

Speaker system is Vandersteen 2Ce's up front and W2q sub off in the corner (for the price, you'd be hard pressed to beat the sound from the Vandy's). I'll be adding the center and rears soon.

Comment

• Bostonears
                • Mar 2004

If your TV/monitor has multiple HDMI inputs, and your Blu-ray player has multi-channel analog outputs, you have little or nothing to gain by "upgrading" to a pre-pro with HDMI switching. The Blu-ray player will handle any audio format conversions. (I highly recommend the Oppo BDP-83 player.) Your current set up will avoid possible HDMI handshake issues that sometimes crop up with HDMI switching components. And, you can wait until the whole HDMI 1.4 and 3D TV stuff settles down before you buy into the next generation of gear.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

I guess it would depend on what you would want to upgrade to. If you stayed in the Rotel family the RSP-1570 (as well as the RSP-1069) are better sounding preamps than the RSP-1068. You would not only get HDMI capability but you would have better audio performance.

HDMI still isn't perfect but it's getting better all of the time and the RSP-1570, as well as the Rotel receivers, have been pretty solid. There is a beta code that dealers have been testing that will pass 3D for the 15 Series units and it's been successful so far. I have it but haven't been able to verify it myself (although I hope to soon) but it sounds like Kevin D has and it works.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"