X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gusbuf
    • Feb 2006

RSP1068 trouble decoding mp3?

I recently activated mediashare on my Directv HR23-700 HDDVR, so I can play music, video and pictures on my PC through the DVR and hear them through my A/V system, and see the pics on my TV. Everything is set up properly on both my Win 7 PC and on my DVR. However, when I play an mp3 file, I get no sound from my system. All 10,000 or so songs appear on my Directv mediashare menu, I select the specific track, a box shows up on my TV with "now playing" info, yet I get no sound whatsoever. On Directv Mediashare online web forum, they suspect that my HT receiver is not decoding the mp3. I have my DVR outputting audio to my RSP 1068 via toslink digital audio cable, combined with video via component cables. I have no problem with any other audio when I watch TV or watch a DVD.

So my question is, could the RSP 1068 really not be able to decode the mp3 files on my PC? I did not have alot of time to fiddle around with it, other than leaving the RSP1068 to auto-decode the audio signal from my DVR as usual. Should I manually try different settings, like 2 channel stereo? I am hoping it is something very simple. I would think that the RSP 1068 can handle auto detecting the incoming mp3 signal, no? Any help here is greatly appreciated.
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

Try reading the manual, page 14 and 25.

And b.t.w asking questinons before reading the manual is bad.

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by hurin

And b.t.w asking questinons before reading the manual is bad.
      Does that apply to QUESTIONS as well?

Maybe he read the manual and missed that part or didn't understand exactly what they were saying? No room for error with you.

Steve

Comment

• gusbuf
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by hurin

And b.t.w asking questions before reading the manual is bad.
        Turin, I have owned the RSP1068 for about 7 years, and my manual is stored away at home, not instantly accessible. That being said, I just read the manual online and now know that mp3 decoding is part of the RSP1068's capabilities. But knowing what the RSP is supposed to do doesn't really help me in this situation. I need to know why it is not working in this situation, and what the solution is.

And btw, hurin, why can I not ask a question before reading the manual? Are you like the club Rotel gestapo? I guess based on your huge number of posts on this board that you have been designated as the ranking technical bourgeois, sole dispenser of condescending and sarcastic responses to legitimate posts by those who are actually seeking assistance.

According to your answer, hurin, you obviously had just read the manual yourself, and you could easily have simply said, "gusbuf, according to the manual on pages 14 and 25, it says the RSP 1068 should automatically decode mp3 signals." But instead, you chose to be a condescending douchebag. Thanks for all your technical expertise, Einstein.

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

I doubt it's the 1068 as I have a 1066 playing mp3s from my Windows XP desktop. I am using mediashare and a DirecTV HR24 DVR. Did you check the box allowing for sharing on Windows Media Player?
          This might seem a dumb suggestion, but have you tried rebooting the DVR with the computer already on?

Comment

• gusbuf
            • Feb 2006

Mark, I have everything all set on my Win 7 PC. Everything is marked to share properly. I actually had to do a red button reset a couple times after I upgraded my PC from Vista to WIn 7 but finally I got the music, video, pictures menu in the DVR menu (not sure if I did the resets while my PC was on, however). I can select music, and then I can see all 10,000 or so of my music files. I can select a song, and in a couple seconds the DVR puts up the "now playing" box on my TV screen with artist, song, and album info. Thus, I have deduced that my mediashare settings are ok and the DVR is playing the file. This is a real head scratcher. Do you really think another red button reset while my PC is on will help? I guess I can try that tonight and see what happens.

Comment

• gusbuf
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mark_C.
              DirecTV HR24 DVR.
              Wow. You have an HR24? Are you in one of the D* test markets? How do you like it so far?

Comment

• Mark_C.
                • Jan 2003

No, sorry. I'm thinking of the new model, but I have the HR20.

Comment

• gusbuf
                  • Feb 2006

Tversity has solved my problem! I uninstalled and reinstalled newest version of Tversity on my PC and can now play my audio files using Tversity as my mediashare client. Using WMP as mediashare client just will not allow me to hear the audio tracks when playing through my Directv HR23-700. I think the problem is that WMP is not transcoding/decoding the signal properly (Tversity IS), and thus the RSP1068 cannot play it. I have been in contact with Rotel tech support the past couple days and they claim that even though the RSP1068 manual says it is able to decode and play mp3 files, that this may in fact not be accurate and could be a major misprint in the manual. They also are having engineers look into Windows 7 mediashare compatibility with the RSP1068 and newer Pre/Pro models.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"