X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

New AppleTV on Rotel 1570

Hi gang.

Anybody out there tempted to purchase the new Apple TV as a music server?

I'm currently using the "older" 160GB version connected via HDMI, digital toslink and analog cables. I use the HDMI connection for watching movies and have another input mapped to the toslink connection for listening to 2 channel (avoids that lousy 2-3 sec audio delay!). I also have a set of analog RCA's connected to a tape input on the 1570 in order to send the audio to Zone 2 and 3 in my home.

Since apple have removed the analog output connection, I have no current way of sending out to the other zones in my house. I've been looking at using either a "standard" digital to audio converter: (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-...3&sr=8-1-spell)

or purchasing a dedicated DAC like Arcam's new rDac or Cambridge Audio's DacMagic.

Has anybody out there used an external DAC with the Rotel?
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

The DacMagic is a wonder external DAC and will solve your future problem.I have not used it with Rotel but I don't see how that would even matter. The sound quality is as good as any DAC I have ever used. I also use the current Apple TV 160g for a music server, Picture server and movies sometimes.

I also use it in my 2nd and 3rd zones. I also plan on using the DacMagic as I work for a cambridge dealer.

Comment

• chanlon
      • Sep 2003

I've been auditioning a DacMagic for the past few days.
      I have my current ATV connected via toslink to the Cambridge unit which is connected to the Rotel 1570.

I find the sound of the DAC a little warmer than the internal DAC's of the Rotel.
      However I find it a shade less detailed. I find the high end frequencies are not as "hot" but vocals lack a little of the clarity. I can't justify the $450 for the DAC for a "slightly different" not necessarily better sound imo. To each their own of course. Its nice to know that the Burr Brown's of the Rotel measure up!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"