X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • griffithstrife
    • Apr 2009

Can The 1560 handle b&w 803s

Hey guys just wondering if the 1560 could handle the b&w 803s ? I only use 5.1 so I would be using the extra rears to bi amp the fronts. So please let me know what you think

Please also tell me if you think there is a better speaker for the money 6000 minus 4 percent that's the price they are selling them to me. I know that's not a good deal but I hate to buy online

thanks
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by griffithstrife
    Hey guys just wondering if the 1560 could handle the b&w 803s ? I only use 5.1 so I would be using the extra rears to bi amp the fronts. So please let me know what you think

Please also tell me if you think there is a better speaker for the money 6000 minus 4 percent that's the price they are selling them to me. I know that's not a good deal but I hate to buy online

thanks
    I would look for another dealer as 4% off is a terrible deal.Even if I had to do some driving as there are betters deals out there.Just my opinion.Can not comment on whether there is a better speaker for the price.Have little knowledge of the 1560 but am sure someone will help you out there.

Comment

• griffithstrife
      • Apr 2009

what do you think is a good deal? Knowing what to shoot for would help greatly, I know of another dealer about 100 miles away. If I know want to shoot for it would be worth making the trip,thanks

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Most dealers will give 5% to 10% off.Some will give up to 15%.And it is not unheard of to get above 15% but not by a lot.I would go see the other dealer or call them and tell them you are getting x amount off locally and what will they do for you.If the other dealer gives you a better price you can haggle with the local dealer.They do not want to lose a sale.I have gone into my dealer locally and been given a price with a fair knock down but know they can do better.As soon as I mention another dealer the price comes down further.Is this unscrupulous?No, as I know what the dealers headroom for profit is and I guarantee you they are going to make a profit. Good Luck and happy hunting.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

griffithstrife,

Rotel and 800 series B&W's are a nice combo. I have a couple of thoughts on your questions.

* 800 series speakers love current. The 1560 will drive the 803S's nicely. But 100 watts maybe on the light side of things. Especially as the power supply is shared with the other channels. However, a more powerful external amp will really give the 803S's the current they can use. You would notice an accross the board improvement with an outboard amp as compared to the receivers amps (even as good as they are).

I would look at the the Rotel RB-1582 (Class AB design, 2X200 watts) or the RB-1572 (Class D design, 2X250 watts) or even the RB-1552 (Class AB, 2X120).

Rotel music systems feature stereo components including integrated amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, stereo preamplifiers, DACs, and CD Players.

* I've tried biamping my main speakers two different times. After spending $$ on interconnects and speaker wire, I didn't get much bang for the buck. Will bi-amping help? A little bit, IMO. But an outboard amp will do much better.

* I agree with Opus007. A 4% discount is lame. 5-10% is standard. For 800 series, I would expect closer to 10%. Also, in this economy, I've seen dealers do better, and in some cases much better than even the 10%. I hope your dealer comes around. You really can't order new B&W's or Rotel online.

I would look at a package deal with the B&W and Rotel, hopefully including a stereo amp.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by htsteve; 27 November 2009, 10:39 Friday.

Comment

• Antus
            • Apr 2008

my dealer give around 15% off retail on 800 series. so i think you can do better.

however, the "S" on the 800 are discoutinued, and the new line is expected to increase a lot in price. Perhaps that's the reason why dealers are not so willing to give discount.

$6000 on 803S a good deal or not? This is what i think.
            next year, the new line up for 800 series will be diamond only. so it would be something like
            800D, 801D, 802D ($15K), 803D (10K) 804D (7K). 805D(5K)
            I am pretty sure the upcoming 804D will beat current 803S in sound quality, and not much more expensive. I think the best deal now is 804S and 805S, which i beleive will hold their value exterely well should u are selling them in the future. On the other hand, the current 803S will be in an awkard position.

Comment

• rhinopilot
              • Jan 2009

For what it's worth I went to a dealer to demo some speakers this weekend and he offered me the 803D demos for $6000! :E It is out of my price range, but one hell of a smokin' deal. His words were, "Cash is king right now and having a $9K set of speakers on demo isn't doing much for me." Look around and as it has been said the current lineup is changing so you can probably find some great deals out there.

Comment

• griffithstrife
                • Apr 2009

Well I am gonna head there tomorrow to see if I can get a better deal I would love to get the 803d for 6000 that would be pretty sweet. I had no idea they was changing lineups thanks

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"