• Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Htm3s + ((804s + Asw825) Or 803s)?

I am trying to decide which is the better option
    1. HTM3S + 804S + ASW825
    2. HTM3S + 803S

The price is similar (a little more for option 1), and I know option 2 could be upgraded in the future with the ASW825, but I have to limit myself a little.

I feel the 804S is perfectly matched to the HTM3S: same drivers, same cross-over frequency, same weight.

Some of you may remember, I listen to 90% SACD surround (always with center channel), and 5% CD with DTS Neo (5% CD/SACD is better just plain 2ch). That means, 3 equal channels up-front is recommended. You may also remember, I have found the HTM7 is not a great match to the 704.

Am I kidding myself, that the HTM3S is perfectly matched to the 804S? Will it dissappoint me again like the HTM7 relative to 704? or is a 3rd 804S the only real option (but there is a problem of integration with the screen for HT)

I feel the 803S, with bigger bass drivers, and cross-over at 250Hz instead of 350Hz, is not a great match to the HTM3S. I also feel that the difference boils down to the reproduction of frequencies 35-250Hz, since the FST and tweeter handle the rest, and that is helped with the bigger drivers and cabinet of the 803S... but the FST is handling 250-4kHz in the 803S, and 350-4kHz in the 804S, so there is an advantage to the 804S.

I will probably cross-over the sub at 60Hz, so the 803S is a lot more for the small frequency range where it is better than the 804S... and option 1 with the sub, will definitely be better at 20-40Hz (maybe even 20-60Hz)

Thanks
    Christophe
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Chris, I have the 803S, the HTM3S and the ASW825. The 250Hz crossover point you noticed is a typo. It is actually 350Hz like the 804S and the HTM3S are. With the exception of driver sizes the HTM3S actually specs out closer to the 803S. As far as sound goes, I think it matches very well with the 803S's.

I have my HTM3S sitting on the B&W stand which stands about 12 inches high. Ideally it would be nice to have it stand about 29 inches high to get seamless timbre across the front soundstage, but then that would be impractical for me as well as others, I am sure. Baring that, it still produces a very nice presentation and I sometimes forget that it is even there.

Since you are a big multi-channel music listener I would stongly suggest you go with your second option and get the sub later. I actually play most of my two-channel music without the sub and I am very statisfied. I think you will be happier in the long run this way.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

Thanks Rebelman. Interesting about the typo, B&W site does show 350Hz crossover on 803S, printed documentation shows 250Hz both in english and french (that's why I didn't triple check!)

All the specs point me to believe the 804S is the best match to the HTM3S, what makes you say the contrary? It is difficult to make a decent comparison on the topic of center channel front stage integration at a dealer, it takes a long time, so your advice is appreciated. If someone tells me they are not satisfied with the integration for multichannel music, I have to rethink... maybe setup a 3x804S dedicated audio system in another room (the garage!)...

Now, if I put the constraint that I can never buy the sub with the 803S, would you still recommend it? "never" is a very long time, of course, probably at least 1 year in this case, so a future upgrade possibility is always nice, but as you say, "Live as if you'll die today". Or is it, "Dream as if you'll live forever"?

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Well, aside from the physical characteristics (in which case the 804S and HTM3S are more similar) the areas in which they primarily differ is in the frequency range/response and power handling. I discount the comparisons made between (minimal) Impedence (because the differences are negligible) and Distortion (because the 803S is better than either and that is a good thing). Everyting else is a wash (the same).

In terms of frequency range/response the HTM3S matches with the 804S better (but the difference between the 804S and 803S here is small).
        In terms of power handling the HTM3S matches with the 803S exactly (and the difference between the 804S and 803S here is large). This is, therefore, why the 803S specs better.

Ultimately, however, it will depend on what you think blends better sonically. Personally, I think the 803S blends better because it fills in the low-end that the HTM3S seems to lack better than the 804S does and because it has a much larger presence. While I didn't spend a lot of time comparing the two in this arrangement, I felt the 803S had the edge.

By the way, the FS-HTM stand that mates with the HTM3S is adjustable. I have mine set for the max of 8 degrees. I believe this also plays an important part when adjusting the soundstage for seemless integration.

About the sub. If you listen to moderate (or loud) volumes then yeah you can get away with it for a while, maybe even up to a year. As far as never goes, well, I wouldn't.
        Last edited by RebelMan; 25 May 2005, 01:07 Wednesday.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"