X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRSpalding
    • Apr 2009

RSX-1560 issue

First off, I have installed and been using my new RSX-1560 surround receiver for almost a week now. It is very nice. My old NAD-2700 amps must have been really worn out because the magic is back in the theater room. I am waiting to get a BR player when the new Pioneer Elite systems hit the street, but it is set up fully now. Here is the component list:
    • Pioneer PRO141fd monitor 60" plasma (new)
    • Rotel RSX-1560 Surround Processor/Receiver (new)
    • DirecTV HR-22 HD DVR (HDMI connection) (new)
    • Philips DSR6000R1 DirecTV TiVo (very old, still functioning!)
    • Pioneer DVL-91 Elite LaserDisc/DVD player (very old, still functioning!)
    • Sony CDPC700 CD player (old but still functioning)
    • Marantz VCR (the problem child, more later)
    • Snell THX Multimedia speaker system and subs (5.1)
    • Marantz MA500 amps driving the two subs
    • Paradigm Studio 20 rear speakers

It all works great except for the VCR which I cannot get audio from at all (except if I choose the DVD as the input from the RSX1560 and the DVD is off, leading the 1560 to go find an analog signal, which picks up the VCR audio!). I have it hooked up to the video 2 composite and the r/l rca audio connectors directly above it. The input setting is set to analog. I have tried the "tape" input as well as video 5. Nothing seems to work.

Firmware versions are as follows:
    Man: v 1.1.2-081218
    Video: v 1.01-Dec26.08
    Audio: v 1.12-081215

Any hints?

Thanks!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Everything is assignable except for the analog inputs. So if you plugged it into the analog right above composite 2, the only input you will get sound on is video 2 (which according to the remote default is DVD).

When you try video 5 (or tape) you will have to move the analog cables to the video 5 or tape analog inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DRSpalding
      • Apr 2009

Ahh. I see. BTW, the DVD input is hardwired to Vid1 though, not Vid2. The input label for that one cannot be changed. Weird. Why not just make them all assignable? It would make life so much easier.

I'll give it a try here in a bit to see if I can hook it up to the tape audio inputs, which works fine for me since I won't be recording to VCR anyway.

Comment

• DRSpalding
        • Apr 2009

All right! VCR audio now works via the TAPE inputs. It is too bad the manual seems to imply that the audio will always come from the corresponding video port rather than numbered port based on the input selection. Lesson learned.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by DRSpalding
          Ahh. I see. BTW, the DVD input is hardwired to Vid1 though, not Vid2. The input label for that one cannot be changed. Weird. Why not just make them all assignable? It would make life so much easier.

I'll give it a try here in a bit to see if I can hook it up to the tape audio inputs, which works fine for me since I won't be recording to VCR anyway.
          Video label on the remote or the unit? The labels on the unit should all be assignable. In fact none should come with a label from the factory.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DRSpalding
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Video label on the remote or the unit? The labels on the unit should all be assignable. In fact none should come with a label from the factory.

Kevin D.
            The label for VID1 in the receiver unit is hardwired to DVD. I didn't try to change the remote since I had already placed the DVD on VID1 after finding out I couldn't change the input label in the receiver. The inputs are still assignable, but the name on it is not.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Very strange.. Under the input setup menu, default is INPUT: VIDEO 1 LABEL: ______

If everything else seems ok, I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel like writing down all your settings, you can try defaulting the unit and see if you can change the input label.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DRSpalding
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
                Very strange.. Under the input setup menu, default is INPUT: VIDEO 1 LABEL: ______

If everything else seems ok, I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel like writing down all your settings, you can try defaulting the unit and see if you can change the input label.

Kevin D.
                I don't get it. I tried again to reset the video label, and it frackin worked this time. Maybe I was not doing it correctly the first time, but I could have sworn that the receiver wouldn't let me change it before. Oh well. I'll redo the wiring tomorrow so that it is coherent and doesn't have the wires going all different directions.

Thanks for your help too. It was invaluable. To be fair, the dealer came back today with the same answer too, so they seem to know their stuff.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"