X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

1069 problems

Let me start by saying that I have never been completely satisfied with the sound of the 1069 .I have always felt that there was something going on with it.When I first brought the 1069 home for audition I loved it.Then it was sent off to have the bypass board installed.When I got it back it just did not seem to sound the same.And I was having intermittent problems with the left and right channels going out.It sounded as if some of the tonal quality of the music(and movies) was being stripped away and the bass was being limited.I had only had it for week of listening before I sent it in for the bypass board and upgrades.So I was not 100% sure that the sound had changed as it was gone for a month before I got it back.
    Well yesterday the left channel kept going in and out and I had to wiggle the IC to get the channel back.For the longest time I thought I had a cable issue.So I contacted my dealer and they contacted Rotel and Rotel is sending me a new 1069.
    Since I did not want to damage anything in my system I removed the 1069 and picked up a RSX 1057 receiver to hold me over.Since I got the 1069 after the bypass board was changed I have done the cable search and have bought and sold cables trying to get the 1069 to sound good.No mater what cable I tried it still seemed that tonal quality and bass where being stripped away.So I bought a rcd 1072 and that made the sound worse.So I sold that too.I was about to upgrade my speakers today and get the B&W 804s thinking that it must be the speakers.Well......when I installed the RSX 1057 last night everything changed.A night and day difference.The bass was full and extended in the analog bypass mode.The tonal quality has returned.It is no longer scratchy and emphasizing every detail to the extreme.It is almost hard for me to get use to this as it has been so terrible and now so smooth .
    So my question is does the bypass board in some way mess with the analog bypass audio?Why is the 1057 a night and day difference when I thought the 1069 was a better piece?Or did Rotel just screw something up with the first 1069 when they installed the bypass board?Could the preouts since they cut in and out from time to time of been the cause?Should get the new 1069 in a couple of weeks and am hoping better results with this new one.Any thoughts?Thanks.
  • hery19
    • Jul 2008

Opus, I basically have the same setup you have: a 1069 with 1075 amp and old CM series speakers. My 1069 came new with the bypass option already installed so hopefully your new one will sound better. I have no complaints soundwise but just feel like I'm missing something after you see all the features out there that the Rotels don't have such as Audyssey, Dolby Volume, better video processing, and the list goes on and on. So I might look elsewhere (Denon 4310 as prepro)
    TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
    Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
    Amp: Monolith 7X
    Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
    Sub: SVS PB 3000
    Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
    Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
    Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• Ken49r
      • Dec 2007

I have the 1069 pre. and the 1072 cdp. and both match very well together.

Well yesterday the left channel kept going in and out and I had to wiggle the IC to get the channel back.For the longest time I thought I had a cable issue.
      You may have a bad unit. I wonder if all the cable changeing caused one of the input conections to come loose from the board?

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
        I have the 1069 pre. and the 1072 cdp. and both match very well together.

You may have a bad unit. I wonder if all the cable changeing caused one of the input conections to come loose from the board?
        My thoughts exactly about the changing cables so many times but still I felt the sound had changed when they installed the bypass board.Will see when the new unit arrives.

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

Well my new 1069 arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW.It is a complete night and day difference to the one I am sending back.Let it run in overnight and it sounds soooo good.
          Rotel thinks they screwed something up when they installed the bypass board on the previous unit and if I had of not screwed up the preouts trying so many different cables to get it sound good I would of never known what a joy the 1069 is.All I got to say is Rotel is top notch for not sending me a B-stock or trying to fix the bad one.Not sure where they had the new one stashed but it is brand spanking new. Two thumbs up to Rotel. :T :T

Comment

• peepaj
            • Jan 2009

Thats great to hear opus007, i have the 1069 and i have no complaints with it, very good sounding. I see you sold your 1072 would have like your thoughts of the 1072 - 1069 combo. The wife and I really like the combo. Anyway enjoy the music.
            jeff

Comment

• hery19
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Opus007
              Well my new 1069 arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW.It is a complete night and day difference to the one I am sending back.Let it run in overnight and it sounds soooo good.
              Rotel thinks they screwed something up when they installed the bypass board on the previous unit and if I had of not screwed up the preouts trying so many different cables to get it sound good I would of never known what a joy the 1069 is.All I got to say is Rotel is top notch for not sending me a B-stock or trying to fix the bad one.Not sure where they had the new one stashed but it is brand spanking new. Two thumbs up to Rotel. :T :T
              Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy :T
              TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
              Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
              Amp: Monolith 7X
              Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
              Sub: SVS PB 3000
              Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
              Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
              Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• Opus007
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by peepaj
                Thats great to hear opus007, i have the 1069 and i have no complaints with it, very good sounding. I see you sold your 1072 would have like your thoughts of the 1072 - 1069 combo. The wife and I really like the combo. Anyway enjoy the music.
                jeff
                I sold the 1072 because I thought it was terrible.I wish I had never of sold it now as it appears it was not the the 1072 but the 1069 was defective.Bummer.The reason I bought the 1072 was of all the good reviews on it.I will probably get another one soon and will let you know my thoughts with the new 1069.

Comment

• peepaj
                  • Jan 2009

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Comment

• mcaula
                    • May 2009

1069 software

Hi:
                    I bought a 1069 online and has an old software,
                    Main: 1.1.1 070706
                    Video 1.40
                    No response from Rotel about how to upgrade or get the software, the only option I have is to pay 250 dollars for the upgrade in an HiFi store. Is it a big difference in sound to have the latest software, am I missing something?..
                    The other thing is, how do I know that the unit has the bypass option already installed?.
                    I would appreciate any comments

I love this place, you guys are amazing

Marcelo

Comment

• hurin
                      • Sep 2009

250$ for five minutes of work, what a ripoff :-D

You can get the firmware and instructions here. Beware, if you flash the unit with the wrong firmware, 250$ could end up looking cheap.

I have installed it myself and can confirm it works.

The cable to connect the 1069 to a COM1 port, should be in the box, otherwise contact the seller or ask Rotel to send you a new one.
                      In case you don't have an old computer, it is in fact possible to buy an USB to COM1 emulator.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

I would send it to Rotel and have them install the HDMI bypass. With firmware that old, the bypass isn't installed. Rotel will do it for free and update the firmware to the latest available. The only thing you will have to pay for is shipping.

Eric

Comment

• mcaula
                          • May 2009

thank you hurin for the info, I will try to update the software myself, I do not have the invoice, so I cannot send the unit to Rotel... but for what I paid ... no complaints

Comment

• hifiguymi
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2007

You don't have to the the original owner to get the HDMI bypass installed at no charge. They will do it even for second and third owners.

Eric

Comment

• mcaula
                              • May 2009

Thanks Eric:
                              I found and authorized rotel service 5 minutes from my house, I will check with them and see how free is it in canada.

Comment

• golfgod
                                • Jan 2010

1069 issue

Hey Gents,
                                before I purchased my 1069 I read many threads and info on it. I assumed all was good when I connected it.
                                BUT, hear is my concern. Oh i guess I should explain my cuurent hook up:

1) 1069 to Pani pz750(1080p) via Hdmi
                                2) denon 2930 to 1069 via hdmi
                                3) 8300 pvr to pani via hdmi & to 1069 via component and coaxial audio

Question 1) is... why does the audio "lock up" when in the OSD?
                                When I am in the OSD menu, and I move from one source to the HDMI audio mode it locks up. The audio reappears when moving back to a source in coaxial mode. But in order to get the HDMI audio source up again I have to shut the 1069 off and the Denon off.

2) Is this normal?
                                Should I be getting the firmware update? (my version is: main v1.12 & video v1.40)

3) What other issues will a new firmware update solve that i haven't come across?

4) i haven't noticed and video issues...then again i really haven't looked closely. Will I not have video issues since I have a 1080p display and PVR running 1080i?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                I would send it to Rotel and have them install the HDMI bypass. With firmware that old, the bypass isn't installed. Rotel will do it for free and update the firmware to the latest available. The only thing you will have to pay for is shipping.

Eric

Comment

• timjclark
                                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by golfgod
                                  Hey Gents,
                                  before I purchased my 1069 I read many threads and info on it.

Should I be getting the firmware update? (my version is: main v1.12 & video v1.40)
                                  Hi Golfgod,

I do not know the answers to any of your questions, but the versions of firmware that I have are:
                                  main - 1.21
                                  video - 1.48

I do not know if the problems you are experiencing are a known problem of the earlier versions or not. I tend to like the latest versions installed once they are deemed to be stable.

Best of luck! I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with more input for you...
                                  -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                  -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                  -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                  -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                  -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                  -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• golfgod
                                    • Jan 2010

Thanks, I'll wait for some input.

I know I have older versions of the software. I guess another question would be... Is the the new software going to do me much good since I don't have the Bi-pass installed?( I now know this because I don't have an option for the Bi-pass in setup menu and my serial # is before the ones noted on web site.

Just would like to know before I make that long waited call to Rotel which I'm expecting.

Originally posted by timjclark
                                    Hi Golfgod,

I do not know the answers to any of your questions, but the versions of firmware that I have are:
                                    main - 1.21
                                    video - 1.48

I do not know if the problems you are experiencing are a known problem of the earlier versions or not. I tend to like the latest versions installed once they are deemed to be stable.

Best of luck! I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with more input for you...

Comment

• hurin
                                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by golfgod
                                      2) Is this normal?
                                      I had the same type of problems. Although you don't need to turn anything off. If the problem happens using video1, just press video2 and video1.

The problem will be solved once you update the scaler firmware.

Comment

• golfgod
                                        • Jan 2010

Hey Hurin,
                                        Did you have to have the Bypass also installed or just have the scaler update done?
                                        In otherwords, Did you have the bypass in place before your update or did you have both done to correct that issue?

Thanks

Originally posted by hurin
                                        I had the same type of problems. Although you don't need to turn anything off. If the problem happens using video1, just press video2 and video1.

The problem will be solved once you update the scaler firmware.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2007

If you look at the release notes, it looks like you should get the HDMI bypass installed before updating to the current firmware. You can send an e-mail to Rotel at techsupport@bwgroupusa.com and ask them if it's required. I'd strongly recommend getting the bypass installed either way.

Here is a link to the page where you can find the release notes and the updates.

Eric

Comment

• timjclark
                                            • Apr 2009

Great link Eric! They have revised the release notes and updates website since I bought my 1069 in April. The new site is much much better! Yeah!!

Office system:
                                            -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                            -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
                                              • Feb 2007

Yes thank you! Now I am motivated to buy that serial card for my PC and update mine to 1.48. I kinda was going to blow it off but now with detailed release notes like that it makes sense.

Comment

• timjclark
                                                • Apr 2009

As opposed to a serial card, you can use a USB-Serial adapter. That is what I used and it worked just fine.

Office system:
                                                -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
                                                  • Feb 2007

I have heard those are tricky. Plus I got a HTPC I can use right next to it with an open slot.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                    • Feb 2007

Well I bought a USB thingy and it worked perfectly. I am now all up to date but I am still redoing all my settings. I should have written them down. :M

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2002

Should of downloaded the setup utility available on the same website..

Kevin D.

Comment

• TommyV
                                                        • Feb 2007

I did but I erased all my distance, levels and stuff when I did the factory reset. Hey Kev I want to roll back to 1.18. Do you have the hex file somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"