X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Another 1069 question ?

I have asked Rotel this question but have never recieved a response.Why does the cd,tape, or any analog input on the 1069 sound different in bypass than the multi channel input in bypass?

I have tested both inputs and it is clear that there is a difference.I used the same same cables and same source so everything is the same .

The cd input in bypass seems to still be doinig some sort of processing and bass management.When using the muti channel inputs bass is fuller and the music is more airy and detailed.

Also I find no difference when using a digital cable from a cd palyer and letting the 1069 do the processing or letting the source cd player do the processing.

To me the only real true bypass on the 1069 is the multi channel inputs with the LFE redirect turned off.Any one else tested this?

I have oftened wondered if when they installed the video bypass board it some how routes through the audio path and by installing the board it has caused this.

I know I am not hearing things.Try it yourself to see the difference.
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Got my reply to my questions from Rotel and thought I would share them as I asked which input does the real bypass,here is the reply.

Hi Shaun,

Both the 7.1 channel Multi Input and the various analog inputs when set to Bypass do bypass all internal A/D and D/A conversion inside the RSP-1069 processor. However, this doesn’t guarantee the inputs will sound identical as the signal path is different.

The regular analog inputs for example do get routed through an additional analog switching IC whereas the Multi Input bypasses this IC. So it is normal for there to be some difference in the output between these two as the signal path is not identical for these 2 inputs.

Which to choose would really depend which sounds best to your ears. The 7.1 input does pass through less switching so this is going to be the shorter signal path in the end, thus likely to be the more ideal choice

Even with the LFE redirect option enabled on the RSP-1069 it never removes frequencies below the crossover point, it simply sends a copy of the low frequencies below 100Hz to the subwoofer output but leaves the original signal intact.

Best Regards,

Michael Sheehan

The B&W Group

And if anyone is interested here is the diagram.
    Attached Files

Comment

• maxwebster
      • Mar 2009

Thanks for the update: Which one sounds better?

Comment

• ricky_rocket
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Opus007
        Also I find no difference when using a digital cable from a cd palyer and letting the 1069 do the processing or letting the source cd player do the processing.
        What brand/model of CD player do you have ? It must have a great DAC if it sounds as good as the 1069 processing.

Also, when you hook up the CD Plaver via digital cable to let the 1069 do the processing do you have the problem with it "missing" or "skipping" the first 1/2 second or second of any songs on any CDs ?

Comment

• TommyV
          • Feb 2007

I do not use analog connections right now on my 1069. I did switch over to the multi input on my 1066 which I am using as a preamp and I can hear a difference.

Comment

• Opus007
            • Nov 2007

Even though the multichannel inputs sound airy and there is better seperation between instuments I prefere the CD analog inputs as it brings the music a little closer to you.Kind of like moving a few rows up in the seating position.

My current cdp is a sony sacd/cd 5 disk changer that I got from Sony Style refurbished for 69.00 dollars with free shipping.See my signature.I also use a Sony PS1 which is very smooth.But I find myself using the Sacd /cd more lately as it has really opened up.I bought it because in Audiogon someone was saying it was a sleeper and I could not agree more.

When I first got my 1069 I had a denon cdp but replaced it with a rcd-1072.I could never get the 1072 to sound good ... so I sold it and after I sold it I found out I had a defective 1069( when they installed the bypass board they screwed the audio section up) so to be fair I can not comment on the 1072 but I do plan to get another 1072 in the future to give it a fair shake.

As for does the 1069 in digital skip the first second of the track.Yes it does but it is more like a half second and only on the first track.But since I do not use the digital it does not concern me as the cd analog does not exibit it.

At first I though that the digital and analog sounded the same.But after further listening the digital to me is nice but a little on the bright side but that could be because my cdp only has optical digital and the cable I have is not a very good one.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Comment

• TommyV
              • Feb 2007

I have two setups now. My 2ch I am using a 1066 pro and a Denon 3910. I think the sound in amazing. I have been rotating components like a flee market. I am looking in the future to move to a 1082 preamp but it sounds sweet now. I originally had the Parasound 2100 preamp/Rotel amp but it seemed a bit bright on my CM5s. The all Rotel setup sounds perfect and I was finally able to perfectly dial in the bass on my REL which I was not able to before.

After trying the multi on the 1066, I could hear the difference but I switched back to the CD input. It just gives an overall better sound. Rotel + B&W = :T

Comment

• Opus007
                • Nov 2007

I picked up a used toslink cable from my dealer yesterday and must say I should leave well enough alone.I am now running my cdp via the optical and must say it is by far the best sound I have achived to date.

I was always under the impression that the dacs in the 1069 where sub par but have changed my mind on that.Still I wonder what a 1072 would sound like with my current setup.I see a few on Agon that are very tempting.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Comment

• jyj
                  • Dec 2008

I've been quite happy with the RCD 1072 for +2 yrs now. I use RCA cables and place the RSP 1069 in "Bypass" mode to use the 1072 DACS.

Jerry

Comment

• ricky_rocket
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jyj
                    I've been quite happy with the RCD 1072 for +2 yrs now. I use RCA cables and place the RSP 1069 in "Bypass" mode to use the 1072 DACS.

Jerry
                    I have a 1069 - where/how in the menu system do you place it in "Bypass" mode for a CDP ?

I was under the impression that if I hooked up my CDP via digital/optical cables the 1069 uses it's own DACs automatically. Or if hooking up via RCA cables it automatically used the CDP DACs. The only Bypass mode that I am aware of is for video scaler that was having problems.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

If you are using analog connections to the RSP-1069 from something like a CD player you can switch between 2CH and BYPASS by pressing the the 2CH button on the front panel or remote. The difference is in 2CH the DSP engine is in the signal path so you can use the contour (tone) controls and subwoofer. If you don't want any of that you can put in BYPASS for better sound quality. Since there is a device in the signal path to do that switching Shaun has found it sounds better going into the multi-channel input because that device isn't there on that input. If you use a digital only connection, BYPASS won't be available to you.

Eric

Comment

• ricky_rocket
                        • Jan 2008

Thanks, I have a cheap CD player so I have it hooked up via optical cable to allow 1069 to do the processing - so I've never got to try the bypass option with this configuration.

I might be getting a higher end CD player soon (CA 740C, CA 840C or NAD c565bee) let it do the processing to try and get better 2 CH sound. The CA 840C and NAD also have digital inputs to allow it to be treated as an outboard DAC as well.

I'd like to try it out first if possible before buying - as I'm not sure how much better a high end CD Player will sound vs. 1069 doing the processing.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"