X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • srd28
    • Aug 2003

RSX-1055 sub output - troubleshooting

I went to adjust the sub volume (paradigm pw2200) and there was a static spark - it was winter time and it was too dry in the basement.

After that the sub made clicking sounds each time I went to turn on - so I lived without it for several weeks. Recently I got the sub repaired and paradigm replaced two capacitors and said it was just fine.

When I go to use the sub now, the clicking sounds are gone and it appears normal. However, still no bass - I believe the problem is now on the other side being the rsx-1055.

Besides the basic connections, how can I go about testing either the amp or the sub, without any other gear (spare amps, spare subs). I have a multi-meter.

Any help is appreciated.
    Steve
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Steve,

You should be able to test your amp and sub from the menu of the 1055. Go to the speaker setup section and choose the test tones. It will send a signal to the connected devices. If you do not get any output, then it could definitely be the 1055. If it is under warranty, contact your dealer.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• srd28
      • Aug 2003

Everything else seems to work, but no sound from the sub with tone test either....thanks.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

You also need to rule out the cable and the sub (even though it was fixed). Move the cable to one of the other outputs and see if it gets sound. A lot of times you can just tap your finger on the end of the cable (touching both the pin and ground) to make the sub hum.

If you get sound, then the 155's output is bad. If not, try a different cable and repeat. If you still get no sound, they didn't fix the sub.

Kevin D.

Comment

• srd28
          • Aug 2003

Tried the other sub output, however, no luck. But I do get the hum from the sub when I move cables around -- guess it's the 1055 then (thanks).

Not sure if it's worth fixing given the age of the unit - I'm certainly not current with the technology changes over the past 5 years or so. Biggest thing I think I'm missing is the conveniences like hdmi switching. I don't have any hdmi yet, but new projector and blue ray are definite upgrades in the new year.

Guess it comes down to budget and figuring that out - then prioritizing. Which makes me think that I should get it fixed if < $150; if more, then buy a new unit. Opinions appreciated.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

They might be able to fix just that output since it's obvious how it failed. If they have to replace the digital board you're looking at around $600 for just the part.

Kevin D.

Comment

• srd28
              • Aug 2003

Will get service estimate - thanks for the speedy replies.

Steve

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Steve,

If you bought it from an authorized dealer and it within 5 years, it should still be under warranty. I believe the receivers all have 5 year coverage. Hopefully, this will be the case.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• srd28
                  • Aug 2003

Bought this unit from Mr. Platt some 5 years ago or thereabouts - has served me quite well.

If anyone knows any good techs in the Toronto - Hamilton areas please send pm.

Cheers
                  Steve

Comment

• JRachwalski
                    • Jun 2008

Does the receiver have L/R outputs?
                    If so feed those into the sub, set the speakers to LARGE and use the subs crossover.
                    Not ideal, but it will work.

Comment

• srd28
                      • Aug 2003

Pic of back panel attached. Can I use any of the L/R pre-outs with the same sub cable?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• JRachwalski
                        • Jun 2008

Either one will work.
                        This will send a signal from the Rotel to the sub. You can use the same cable.
                        The downside is your mains will not have a high-pass cross over and they may play the same freq as your sub, which is not always a bad thing.

If your sub has Stereo input then you should use a stereo cable (two cables rather than just one).

If your sub only has one input then you may want a Y cable to sum the L/R ouputs from the Rotel to send to your sub.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"