X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al K
    • Feb 2004

RSX1055 Subwoofer on, off, max?

When in the on screen display RSX1055 speaker input, there are three choices for the subwoofer ( sub= yes, none, max). When and why would it be appropriate to use the MAX position? Any help appreciated.

AL
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

What the MAX setting does is copying the bass from your main channels and sending it to the subwoofer too.
    So if you've got your front speakers set to Large, they will be reproducing bass, if you have the subwoofer set to ON, it won't get any bass (except LFE channel for dolby and DTS) at that time because it's already going to your main speakers.
    If however you set the sub to MAX, it also gets that same bass your main speakers are allready reproducing, so you get double the bass that you're supposed to have.
    I don't see why anyone would use the MAX setting, perhaps some bass lovers that can't get enough of bass

Comment

• Al K
      • Feb 2004

DrBoom,

Thanks for solving my curiosity!

AL :tv:

Comment

• thor
        • Jan 2004

hi guys,

what would be the best setting for a rsx 1065, 4x b&w 603 s3 1x B&W LCR600 and a b&w asw650 ? waiting for it to arrive :-)

any suggestions ? would help me to set the stuff up

thank you,

thor

Comment

• Al K
          • Feb 2004

Thor,

Some guidelines,but not gospel since potential variables could come into play. For theater(surround modes Dolby, DTS, etc) Set front, ctr. and rear speakers to small. Set base mgmt in the 1065 to 80hz, the most common position for theater. Make sure your sub is set for ext. crossover and not the int position. This way your receiver will control the crossover via the LFE channel. Not sure how familiar you are with HT equipment in general. This is simply a beginning. One could go on and on.
          Hope this is helpful and not to basic. I know your going to enjoy your new setup when it arrives. When it does, be patient until those 603 S3s break in and open up.

Enjoy,
          AL

Comment

• Tha Freak
            • Jul 2003

I have tower mains that can handle a good amount of bass (Energy Connoisseur C-6) and they are set to LARGE for now, I don’t have a sub (I live in a condo)…when I will have a sub, should I also set them to small?

If I understand correctly, here some situations:

1- If my mains are set to SMALL and sub to YES, the receiver send to the sub the LFE channel plus all the frequencies below the selected crossover point. (suggested 80Hz)

2- If my mains are set to LARGE and the sub to YES, the receiver send to the sub ONLY the LFE channel, and full range frequencies to my mains.

3- If my mains are set to LARGE and sub to NO, my mains will receive full range frequencies plus the LFE channel.

4- If my mains are set to SMALL and sub to NO, I will loose all frequencies below the crossover point.

4- If I listen to a CD in stereo, and my mains are set to SMALL, the sub will receive the frequencies below the crossover point.

4- If I listen to a CD in stereo, and my mains are set to LARGE, the sub will receive no info at all.

Setting all speakers to LARGE would disable completely the internal crossover of the receiver??

Do I get this right?

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
            -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
            - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Al K
              • Feb 2004

Tha Freak,

The following is based on my software! My RSX1055 has never had a software update. I'm not sure how updates may or may not effect the LFE or bass mgmt. Your correct except for the following:
              1. In cd stereo if mains are set to large, the sub will recieve info below crossover setting of the reciever.
              2. Setting all speakers to large does not eliminate internal crossover of receiver. The crossover would still be active.
              3. If the sub is set to none in speaker setup, then the LFE is disabled.
              4. The receiver crossover can be turned off in the receiver allowing full capabilities of the sub.
              5. Of course you can switch your sub to its own internal crossover and overide the external setting controlled by the receiver. This assumes your sub has an internal/external crossover switch. Also this is usually a better way to use a sub with cd stereo. It won't be as loud or possibly over powering as when set to ext for HT. However this really depends on your personal preference and associated equipment.
              Keep in mind this applies to my software ( never updated). I suspect its pretty much the same for later versions.
              I would also recommend keeping your speakers set for small during HT surround with the RSX1055, and it should sound terrific! If you decide to add a more powerful amp to your mains, then you may reconsider and decide to keep your front speakers set for large. You don't want to run out of juice during those scenes with explosions, car crashes and who knows what! The 1055 should handle anything within reason.

AL

Comment

• Tha Freak
                • Jul 2003

don't forget that:

Originally posted by Tha Freak
                I don’t have a sub (I live in a condo)…
                if I don't have a sub, I don't have the LFE at all? are you sure? I tough it was re-routed to the mains?

- - - - - - - - - -

-Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Al K
                  • Feb 2004

Tha Freak,

You are correct! The LFE info is redirected to the appropriate speakers if there is no sub. When I said the LFE is disabled, I should have said the LFE channel is disabled as evidenced by the lack of LFE being displayed on the front window of the 1055 and thus the LFE info is redirected. ops:
                  Also, when I recommended setting your speakers for small, I was referring to the time when you add a sub . :roll:

AL

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"