X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deaconblues
    • Mar 2006

RSP-1570 - Issues All Resolved?

I will be purchasing a Rotel RSP-1570 pre/pro next week....if the issues that I've been reading about have been resolved.
    Could somebody who owns a 1570 let me know how pleased (or displeased) you are with the unit and why.
    Thanks very much.

Regards,
    Rick
  • Alfred
    • Apr 2009

Hi Rick,

I'm waiting since a lot of weeks for the first official firmware update for the 1570. Some members contacted Rotel directly to achieve a pre-version of the update. So officially the issues are not resolved. I have currently no list with all bugs, but perhaps somebody could post the inofficial list of fixes in the updates.

But in summery it was a good decission to buy the RSP-1570. I only have some issues with handshake and the EDID handling. Hopefully that is part of the first official firmware update.

Regards,
    Alfred

Comment

• deaconblues
      • Mar 2006

Thanks, Alfred. I appreciate the feedback.

Regards,
      Rick

Comment

• ray5
        • Dec 2008

Rick,
        I am not aware of unofficial firmware. I contacted my dealer and he was able to send it to me in a couple of days. I had some issues with Dish network video switching and that got resolved. I don't know what issues you or others are facing.
        Ray

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Yes, all firmware if official. Any firmware will most likely never be posted on their website if that's what you would call official.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Alfred
            • Apr 2009

Sorry that was my faute. I used the wrong word. Should we say not officially posted to the web sites?

Regards,
            Alfred

Comment

• Bostonears
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Any firmware will most likely never be posted on their website if that's what you would call official.
              Why would that be the case? Rotel posts firmware for its other pre/pro models on the website.

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

There seems to have been a policy change with the 15 series because apparently so many (incompetent?) people have bricked their equipment by wrongly applying updates in the past. The actions of a few, as always, effect the many. Yes, I'm sad about this too, but Rotel will release their software updates if either you or your dealer ask very nicely.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Bostonears
                  Why would that be the case? Rotel posts firmware for its other pre/pro models on the website.
                  The 1069 and 15 series utilize three firmware files and two different update programs. Rotel doesn't feel comfortable to have that out for the masses. That and 90% of people will need a USB to RS232 adapter that have a greater chance of problems.

I would imagine that the number of support calls for problems from people that don't even need an update would be would be high. People are more inclined to 'try things out' when they see an update readily available.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

Unfortunately, this is one aspect of Rotel that turns me off lately. I am more inclined to go with a product that makes updates readily available to customers who have plunked down their hard-earned cash, and should be able to make that decision for themselves. My current receiver does auto firmware updates via its Ethernet connection, as do several of my other components, including my blu-ray player. This is the way of the future, and hopefully Rotel will find a way to support this update model.
                    Brad

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Yes, I agree, an Ethernet connection with auto-firmware updates via the Internet is the way to go.
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by mjb
                        Yes, I agree, an Ethernet connection with auto-firmware updates via the Internet is the way to go.
                        That would be awesome, but I think a lot of people aren't realizing how small of a company Rotel is.. There's no way for them to make stuff like that happen cost effectively.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Mikael
                          • Aug 2007

Hi Kevin

please don't take this the wrong way, but why are you always defending Rotel with the same old saying,That they are a small company. It is that kind of saying that keeps them small. If they(Rotel) would listen to what the customers want a product do to and do it right,maybe they would sell more products and grow bigger.
                          I have and love Rotel's products, but lately they have been a lot of faults with some of them. I hope that Rotel in the future would take a little more time on testing before putting a product on the marked.
                          Just my 2 cents

Comment

• Bostonears
                            • Mar 2004

That Rotel made its latest series of products even more difficult to update than the last series seems inexcusable. And they kept the RS-232 interface, knowing that virtually no computers sold today have such a port?
                            Last edited by Bostonears; 18 June 2009, 15:28 Thursday.

Comment

• ray5
                              • Dec 2008

I found my dad's 6 yr old laptop useful for this!! At least that clunker came in use sometime!! It is indeed strange that they use ports that almost no laptops have anymore. Small company or not that is poor designing.
                              Ray

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

I know to the hobbyist it seems like outdated technology, but keep in mind the RS232 port's primary function is advanced two-way control for remotes/automation systems.

Even the newest/greatest automation controller's main choice of control is RS232. Network control is still fairly new and not widely supported. Most dealers should have the necessary hardware to perform an update and that's who does 90% of the updates performed.

It would be ridiculous for Rotel to add some other form of port strictly for firmware updates for the 10% of end-user's who want to perform it. A network or USB interface and the related hardware would add to the price. That in addition to having to keep the RS232 port to be compatible with most automation systems.

Also keep in mind the DSP upgrade program is from TI. There's a good chance it only supports updates through an RS232 port.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Bostonears
                                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                  I know to the hobbyist it seems like outdated technology, but keep in mind the RS232 port's primary function is advanced two-way control for remotes/automation systems.

Even the newest/greatest automation controller's main choice of control is RS232. Network control is still fairly new and not widely supported. Most dealers should have the necessary hardware to perform an update and that's who does 90% of the updates performed.

It would be ridiculous for Rotel to add some other form of port strictly for firmware updates for the 10% of end-user's who want to perform it. A network or USB interface and the related hardware would add to the price. That in addition to having to keep the RS232 port to be compatible with most automation systems.

Also keep in mind the DSP upgrade program is from TI. There's a good chance it only supports updates through an RS232 port.

Kevin D.
                                  I'm sorry Kevin, but I disagree with you across the board on this one.

What percent of Rotel units installed have their RS232 ports actually used for automation? I'd be surprised if it were over 5%. (We could do a poll right here on Club Rotel to see how many owners are more interested in having automation control vs. firmware update capability.)

And if you're correct that 90% of firmware updates are done by dealers, the only the reason would be because Rotel lacks an easy way for end users to do it themselves. Claiming that as an excuse for not having an easy user method is back-assward. If an easy user method were available, 100% of updates could be done by the users, and it would relieve dealers from the hassle of having to do it.

Regarding the cost of adding network or USB interfaces, there are plenty of products out there that sell for under $99 that have one or both of those ports. The bill-of-materials cost can't be more than a couple of bucks. The Rotel 15XX products sell for a couple of thousand dollars. To claim that cost concerns prevented a change like this is lame. Most likely, Rotel simply had an established hardware platform from the 10XX series that it didn't want to change. I can understand why engineers wouldn't want to change platforms, but a company held back by engineering inertia will eventually get left behind in the market.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

Not a problem to disagree, but after years of having discussion's with multiple manufacturers over the years there is extreme differences between large and small companies that are difficult to imagine.

I once had a conversation with Polk Audio. They designed a new computer speaker system, your typical stereo/sub setup that would retail for $99. The factory determined it was going to cost under a dollar per unit and they said that was too expensive.

As far as utilizing the RS232 port, a poll here would be useless as memebers of club Rotel are such a small percentage of Rotel owners. As a dealer, at least 60% of our installed Rotel processors are using the RS232 port for control.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JRachwalski
                                      • Jun 2008

Have you heard about the recent Denon upgrade problem?
                                      Due to an issue with the servers if you did an FW upgrade your unit became temporarily out of commission.

Just because you make the upgrade process easy does not guarantee it will work.

Comment

• mjb
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

The issue is not really with the serial port - its with getting your hands on the update. Net savvy poeple have become used to downloading firmwares, and so see Rotels recent stance a backward step. But I agree the update process is not as simple as it was, and there is room for error which could brick your gear, so Rotel is probably right to be cautious.

However, if you contact Rotel, ask nicely, and can prove your technical prowess, you are very likely to get the firmware and the tools needed to install it.

Serial ports: before anyone flames me, serial ports still are the defacto standard for user/equipment interfacing. This is a fact.
                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• mjb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JRachwalski
                                          Have you heard about the recent Denon upgrade problem?
                                          Due to an issue with the servers if you did an FW upgrade your unit became temporarily out of commission.

Just because you make the upgrade process easy does not guarantee it will work.
                                          Good point, and so true!
                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• pixeljedi
                                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by mjb
                                            However, if you contact Rotel, ask nicely, and can prove your technical prowess,
                                            My experience with Rotel support has shown me that it's not about proving your technical prowess to them, it's about showing you have an issue which they actually have a firmware solution that can help solve your problem. If your problem can be solved via a firmware update, I'm sure they'd send you it right away.

I work in engineering, used to code assembly in University, and transfer my code via serial many many times a day (so I'm familiar with the process). But since they didn't have a firmware update that would help my current problem with my PS3, they just told me to wait until it comes to their website.

Once you make it through to them, their support is amazing - best I've dealt with.

Comment

• hkduder
                                              • Jun 2009

What is the big deal with getting the new firmware? Just go to http://www.bwgroup-support.com, send techsupport a note and they will provide links to download the new firmware. It took me 20 minutes to update all three main, audio and scaler updates. I could provide the links too I guess.

Comment

• maxwebster
                                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by hkduder
                                                What is the big deal with getting the new firmware? Just go to http://www.bwgroup-support.com, send techsupport a note and they will provide links to download the new firmware. It took me 20 minutes to update all three main, audio and scaler updates. I could provide the links too I guess.
                                                Big deal is I left messages everywhere except there - I'll give it a shot.

thanks

Comment

• maxwebster
                                                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by maxwebster
                                                  Big deal is I left messages everywhere except there - I'll give it a shot.

thanks
                                                  This worked !!!

Thanks duder

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                    • Sep 2003

So, are there any lingering issues with the RSP-1570, or is it working well for everyone at this point?
                                                    Brad

Comment

• ray5
                                                      • Dec 2008

One issue that I am now facing is when I use my DVR. When I forward or rewind something and then hit play there is a 5 second delay for the audio to come back on. I have updated my firmware already. I have a Dishnetwrok DVR I beleive the 611.
                                                      Ray

Comment

• JRachwalski
                                                        • Jun 2008

The two issues I have noticed so far:

Remote doesn't work in the dark. I have to shine a light on it
                                                        HDMI Audio delay - 3-5sec with either DVD or HTPC.

Comment

• pixeljedi
                                                          • Apr 2009

I had the same issue and got a replacement remote. Contact Rotel and they'll set it up for you through your dealer.

Comment

• mjb
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Switching HDMI between sources is a big issue for me. It can take 30 seconds or so before a picture arrives - or not. Sometimes I have to power cycle things to make it work

Want to go into the 1570's menu to adjust something? You can't do this on the fly anymore, because the video source will switch to composite, loosing the audio (if it was set to HDMI). OK, exit the menu, and chances are after 30 seconds, there's still no picture or audio. In my case, I have to power cycle the sat reciever to make it work again :cry:

This HDCP stuff is for shit. Every manufacturer says its the other guys fault, firmware updates required all over the place, and it still don't work right :M

I was happier switching component on my old 1098 to be honest. At least it was fast and wife friendly, even if the picture was a little worse.

When you do get a picture, the HDMI audio delay issue applies. This has been reduced with newer firmware, but its still around 3 seconds.

I now have a toslink cable form the sat box to reduce this delay (when channel surfing), but there is a software issue with AppleTV, and the audio will dissapear from Toslink (over time) if an HDMI cable is connected. This is reported on Apples support site too, so its not just me! (I see an update came out for the AppleTV yesterday, perhaps this has finally been addressed).

All in all the 1570 is a nice unit, but I think I pulled the trigger too fast. I was happy with my 1098, but upgraditus got the better of me. Now I'm plagued by quirks and software issues, mostly to do with this HDCP rubbish I think.

End of rant :B
                                                            - Mike

Main System:
                                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• FST
                                                              • Mar 2007

I sold all my old 10-series stuff because I was interested in the new HD-formats. I tried to wait as long as possible to order any new parts to assure the latest possible firmware.

Finally in Mars I picked up an RSP-1570 along with the RMB-1575. The firmware was the first 1.0.0 so I experienced all the problems already reported on this forum. The remote was also totally useless and did not work unless used very close to the RSP-1570.

I went back to my dealer and the unit was sent for repair. I am still waiting and the latest news was that the HDMI-section was going to be replaced. Don't ask me why.
                                                              Together with my error-list I suggested that perhaps a firmware upgrade would solve most of the problems but probably not the remote control. It is summer vacation period now so I guess I have to wait another 2 months for the unit to be partnered up with the RMB-1575 again. So at this stage the $2800 I paid for the RSP-1570 was a no good investment.

/FST

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                • Oct 2008

ouchie, im getting my combo next week and I'm a little leary now.
                                                                Chase

---------------------------------------------------
                                                                Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• Industrial
                                                                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by cdika17
                                                                  ouchie, im getting my combo next week and I'm a little leary now.
                                                                  Once the sounds start its amazing. But if you use that combo like I do with a HTPC connected you keep missing all the pc sounds because its always losing digital synch. Like if I start a AVI it has a slight delay then the audio starts. However most PC alerts etc are only a couple of seconds long so it doesnt have long enough to get in synch.

Comment

• mvdveek
                                                                    • Mar 2009

Got the 1570 and the 1575 combo. Apart from the hdmi delay and an awfull looking and working remote I'm having much joy of my new setup.
                                                                    So no need to get leary

Comment

• Alfred
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2009

In the last days I had a strange behavior. After the update to the newest firmware version, the DSP runs well, but a few days later, the DSP was unable to decode the bitstream of my two Denon players ( DVD-3930 and DVD-2500BT ). It sounds like a grinding video tape. A restart of the DSP has not solved the issue. Only a reset to the factory default brought the needed effect.

Regards,
                                                                      Alfred

Comment

• pixeljedi
                                                                        • Apr 2009

Hey Alfred, What is the latest firmware version out now?

Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2002
                                                                          • 4601

Originally posted by Alfred
                                                                          In the last days I had a strange behavior. After the update to the newest firmware version, the DSP runs well, but a few days later, the DSP was unable to decode the bitstream of my two Denon players ( DVD-3930 and DVD-2500BT ). It sounds like a grinding video tape. A restart of the DSP has not solved the issue. Only a reset to the factory default brought the needed effect.

Regards,
                                                                          Alfred
                                                                          Did you reset it to factory defaults right after the firmware update? That's part of the procedure.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Alfred
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2009
                                                                            • 26

I reset the RSP after each update step to the factory default, as it is described in the manuals. In my first tests everything worked fine, but a few days later, I got the described DSP issue. At first I thought that my DVD player has a problem, but also the BlueRay player brought the same strange sound. I checked the disc with my PS3 and PCM stream to the 1570. Everything worked fine. The tests with other DVD's and BlueRays brought the same result. I started a further reset to factory defaults and the sound was excellent.

@pixeljedi:
                                                                            DSP 112
                                                                            HDMI 112
                                                                            Mainboard 116

Regards,
                                                                            Alfred

Comment

• JRachwalski
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2008
                                                                              • 29

#39
                                                                              The two issues I have noticed so far:

HDMI Audio delay - 3-5sec with either DVD or HTPC.
                                                                              Rotel sent a new remote, problem solved.
                                                                              They also sent a black sticker to place over the blindingly bright power button LED.

Bright blue sure is the fad these days....

No fix for the HDMI delay. Really annoying, even if I just pause the movie it takes 3-5sec for audio to come back.

As well I am unable to get the Rotel to accept a digital signal from my HTPC (ATI HD2400 video card with HDMI audio).
                                                                              No problems with my Denon 4308ci with HDMI audio from the HTPC.

Comment

• WelshOne
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2009
                                                                                • 117

#40
                                                                                Hi All,

Could someone please tell me how I find out what FW version my 1570 has? For the life of me I cant remember.

Thanks!

David

Comment

• maxwebster
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2009
                                                                                  • 52

#41
                                                                                  Rotel sent a new remote, problem solved.
                                                                                  They also sent a black sticker to place over the blindingly bright power button LED.

Bright blue sure is the fad these days....

No fix for the HDMI delay. Really annoying, even if I just pause the movie it takes 3-5sec for audio to come back.

As well I am unable to get the Rotel to accept a digital signal from my HTPC (ATI HD2400 video card with HDMI audio).
                                                                                  No problems with my Denon 4308ci with HDMI audio from the HTPC.
                                                                                  Congrats - did you get the new remote through your dealer or direct?

(I have the same problem with mine)

thx

Comment

• JRachwalski
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2008
                                                                                    • 29

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by maxwebster
                                                                                    Congrats - did you get the new remote through your dealer or direct?

(I have the same problem with mine)

thx
                                                                                    Direct.
                                                                                    Look to your dealer first though.

I would love to hear about any more bugs users have encountered.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 1483

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by WelshOne
                                                                                      Hi All,

Could someone please tell me how I find out what FW version my 1570 has? For the life of me I cant remember.

Thanks!

David
                                                                                      Press and hold the "mute" button.
                                                                                      - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• WelshOne
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2009
                                                                                        • 117

#44
                                                                                        Press and hold the "mute" button.
                                                                                        Great, thanks!

That simple :roll: :B

Comment

• cdika17
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2008
                                                                                          • 113

#45
                                                                                          Having issues upgrading hdmi13_v112mar2509.hex, im connected to com 1, connection is ok, goto load hex and get this error: Error: Invalid project file, Error: re-load the project hex file. I try to re-extract the file to my desktop, i try to load hex and it don't work, is the file maybe bad? Does anyone have the file so i can try it? Anyone else have this problem?
                                                                                          Chase

---------------------------------------------------
                                                                                          Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"