Dayton RS28A consistency issues resolved?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sakura
    • Jul 2008

Dayton RS28A consistency issues resolved?

Hi,
    Anyone know if the consistency issues some were seeing with these tweeters have been resolved?

I tried searching, no luck so far...
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since the initial issue (several years ago) they started running all the units through a QC check and have a sticker to indicate this ..someone posted a pic of the little sticker on their tweeters. I don't remember who it was....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jkrutke
      • Dec 2005

I don't think the issue was resolved by PE's internal QC tests. It was Darren running the tests. I was in touch with him a few times when he was doing those. His QC test was only an impedance curve check, and it didn't do much for catching the bad ones because some with rubbing voice coils still exhibited somewhat normal impedance curves. The other issue was that some did not have rubbing voice coils, but still had "not the best" performance due to poor coil alignment in the gap. Note that it wasn't a centering issue, it was angular alignment There was a visual method to checking this out - you could eyeball the back side of the flange and see from the former perforations relative to the flange that it was glued on to the dome at an angle.

It's hard to tell the defective (or poor) ones apart from their response curve. All were nearly identical except for the top octave. The best test for this is a HD sweep at a high level, looking for sharply varying harmonic levels at various frequencies. A spectral plot might show wicked tall order harmonics in a rubbing coil, but not at all frequencies.

I consider Usher a quality brand and I would be pretty sure that the issue would be resolved by now, but I'll personally never be 100% sure until I get my hands on a new pair. If anyone has a new pair (less than a month old) I'd be happy to test it. I offered over on the PE board and all I got was about 8 guys who wanted their old RS28's checked.
      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

When CJD did the measurement work for the Khanspire's (about a year ago now), he ran frequency responses of both of my drivers. They were the newer ones with the QC sticker on them. He said he didn't see any differences between them.

John, some day I'm going to be building rears with RS28s. I would be happy to buy a pair and have PE ship them to you for testing. It won't be a rush for me. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jkrutke
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
          When CJD did the measurement work for the Khanspire's (about a year ago now), he ran frequency responses of both of my drivers. They were the newer ones with the QC sticker on them. He said he didn't see any differences between them.

John, some day I'm going to be building rears with RS28s. I would be happy to buy a pair and have PE ship them to you for testing. It won't be a rush for me. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
          As I mentioned, you can't tell anything from the response curves. Non-linear distortion tests are needed. I'm sure your ears work though, and you'd notice if you had some tweeter issues.

Sure, if a set doesn't land on my porch before then, I'll let you know. I still have high hopes for the RS28. It's got all the right ingredients to be world class and there's a good chance Usher could have pulled it together by now.
          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

John, how can I contact you? Your PM isn't working...
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

John,
              I meant that I would order them now and then you could take your time and get to it when you get to it. I'll probably start on my rears in the late spring. Prices are just going to keep going up, so I might as well order the tweeters now.
              - Ryan

Comment

• jkrutke
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                John, how can I contact you? Your PM isn't working...
                PM's turned on for the time being on this forum.

I hate to say it, but I occasionally get antisocial and shut down all forms of contact on the internet. Sometimes I need a break from it all. I get more stuff done that way.

I meant that I would order them now and then you could take your time and get to it when you get to it. I'll probably start on my rears in the late spring. Prices are just going to keep going up, so I might as well order the tweeters now.
                Oh, ok. Right off the shelf would be good to see what's up currently. Incoming PM with more info...
                Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

You can turn your PM's back off (we understand). The a pair of RS28's are ordered and should ship straight from PE to you on Monday.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• Sakura
                    • Jul 2008

Maybe this is not a question for a quick simple answer, but, given a good one with no QC issues, would you say that you like the RS28 better than the the Seas 27TDFC/27TBFCG?

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

This is an apples vs oranges question given the differences between metal dome and soft dome tweeters.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dlr
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        This is an apples vs oranges question given the differences between metal dome and soft dome tweeters.
                        Seems to me it's the most basic judgement to make. Which does one like better? Apples vs. oranges, that doesn't matter.

Dave
                        Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dlr
                          Seems to me it's the most basic judgement to make. Which does one like better?
                          That was the point I was making with the apples vs oranges analogy.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Sakura
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Sakura
                            Maybe this is not a question for a quick simple answer, but, given a good one with no QC issues, would you say that you like the RS28 better than the the Seas 27TDFC/27TBFCG?
                            Ok, then let's just ask that about the 27TBFCG (metal dome) and forget the 27TDFC (though I wonder how many people could hear a difference between those two?) Then we can disregard the soft vs metal dome aspect...

I looked around and found Zaph's opinion: ( compared to RS28 ) "There's absolutely no question in my mind that both the Seas 27TDFC and 27TBFCG are better tweeters." Zaph's Post

Anybody out there prefer the RS28? I'll go ahead and get a couple to try anyway.

Comment

• dlr
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              That was the point I was making with the apples vs oranges analogy.
                              Oops. My bad. I inferred it to mean an invalid comparison.

Dave
                              Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• Jonasz
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Sakura
                                Anybody out there prefer the RS28? I'll go ahead and get a couple to try anyway.
                                I prefer the RS28 to the more "aggressive" style of the 27TBFC/G. The RS28 have a very likeable "easy on the ears" character, the only thing lacking is a little "air" on the very top end.

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                  I prefer the RS28 to the more "aggressive" style of the 27TBFC/G. The RS28 have a very likeable "easy on the ears" character, the only thing lacking is a little "air" on the very top end.
                                  You mean a nasty peak in response. I agree with this though - I've used the RS28A and the 27TDFC - the TBFC sounds good but has an edginess to it that doesn't sit well with my ears for long listens.

Others prefer the 27TBFC.

C
                                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

I prefer oranges.
                                    - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"