X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heavygen
    • Oct 2005

A few issues with the RSX-1056

I puchased a floor model 1056 from one of the local dealers a few months ago when upgrading much of my home theater audio equipment. Over the last few months, I've noticed a few issues (that I consider significant) that I would like to get some feedback from the experts on before taking any action.

1. The OSD does not work in HD. When watching HD cable through the receiver, the entire signal becomes garbled and tries to revert itself to SD. As more and more TV programming/DVDs, etc become HD, I see this as becoming a serious inconvenience. I have upgraded the software and flashed the firmware to the most up to date versions with no improvement.

2. My listening room is relatively small 10X12 feet-ish and when listening to 2Ch music, I hear a significant amound of white noise/hiss from the 2 rear channels. Similar noise is coming from the center channel, although i don't really notice it during regular listening. It seems logical that nothing should be coming through the unused channels.

In general, I am happy with the quality of the music/sound that this amp and my new JM Lab-Focal speakers are producing, but if these issues cannot be resolved, I may consider returing the unit and looking at the Arcam equivalent if it solves these problems. Thanks for any advice in advance. This is a great resource and community.

Cheers,
    Heavygen
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Did you read the manual, or just dive in like the rest of us? You need to set the 1056 up and tell it what component inputs have 480p or higher coming to them. The OSD can only display information over a 480i signal. When you tell it that the input COULD have higher signals, it will disable the video while using the menu system.

On the hiss, people have complained before that the rears and center do produce noise when in two channel mode. I cannot remember if this was related to the crackle/pop problem the first units had. Since it was a floor model, it could very well be one of the first run units and need to be serviced. Do you get any form of crackling/popping when turning the volume up/down or switching surround modes? Usually it's from the rears only.

Kevin D.

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

As far as the 2 channel mode - yes, it does defy logic. The center and surround channels are NOT muted in 2 channel mode.

I really wish they were, but they are not.

The amount of noise seems to vary with owners. Some have very little hiss from them, others have more. But they are not muted, so whatever amount of noise you are experiencing with the combination of your 1056, speakers and AC power situation, you will probably have to live with.

Unless Rotel decides to address the muting with a software update, which should be technically doable.

If you're listening, thanks in advance, Rotel!

Comment

• Heavygen
        • Oct 2005

Kevin,
        Manual, what's a manual? ops: I'll be checking that out ASAP. Now, if the rear channel noise could be fixed in the future with a software upgrade (which I thought was discussed here or elsewhere and thought not possible), I would be thrilled.

Cheers,
        Heavygen

Comment

• mtodde
          • Jan 2005

I was apprehensive when buying my 1056 after reading the stories of hiss. I find that I can't hear it unless I hold my ear up to the tweeter. I sit within 2 feet of one rear speaker and can't hear anything from that distance.

I'm so happy with the upgrade from a HK receiver that I don't mind. If it was as strong as some describe I'm sure it would get annoying.

I just bought a RMB-1075 so I can move toward separates; right now I'm planning to ditch the 1056 in March for an Arcam AVP700 or maybe an Anthem.

Comment

• Heavygen
            • Oct 2005

My listening room is pretty small, 10X12 (actually half of a long 10X26 foor room). With volume at 34-40 (reading levels for me), I can quite easily hear the hiss from the rear channels when 5 feet away (sitting in the sweet spot). I actually went to the dealer last night and they have asked me to bring it in. I hope something can be resolved one way or another. This is my only complaint with the 1056, but it does significantly reduce my listening pleasure.

Cheers,
            Heavygen

Comment

• Kens1
              • Mar 2005

I would say it is a first run 1056 that is faulty. I had a bad one the first time around but it was a cracking popping sound not hissing. My second 1056 is perfect. Although the surrounds and centre are not muted I cannot hear them unless I put my ear an inch or two away from the speaker. The sensitivity of the speaker probably has some effect as well on this issue. With my set up I love my 1056. Hopefully you get a new one and all will be well.
              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"