X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • watchnerd
    • Sep 2008

Oppo BDP-83 with Rotel RSP-1570

I just got the early access version of Oppo's forthcoming Blu Ray player, the BDP-83.

The BDP-83 features VRS video upcoding by Anchor Bay.

What's the best way to configure this with the RSP-1570?

Should I turn off the feature in the BDP-83 (it's allowed via Source Direct)?

Or should I turn something off on the RSP-1570? If so, what and how?

Or should I just leave everything at the default?
  • yourtoys7
    • Feb 2006

I would asume that oppo is more superior, I would bypass it.
    Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
    PSB T6,
    Velodyne SPL 1000R
    Rotel RSX-1057
    Rotel RB-1070
    OPPO 103
    Apple TV
    [

Comment

• watchnerd
      • Sep 2008

Okay, in that case, how does one turn off the video upscaling in the RSP-1570?

I can't find any setting that does that.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The scaling via HDMI in the 15XX is permenately bypassed. No need to turn anything off.

Kevin D.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

If you don't mind, would you mind doing us a favor?
          Could you compare the the audio quality of the HDMI decoded by the Rotel vs the analog outputs of the Oppo?
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• urlawyer
            • Feb 2009

All video outputs are scaled to the Video Out Format which you set to send to your monitor which can be 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. I.E. if your monitor's resolution is a 1080i, like mine, all inputs will be scaled to 1080i. So a 1080p will be scaled down to 1080i and a 420 from a DVD will be scaled to 1080i.

Since you have the OPPO you can set it to the output to the native resolution of the TV set and the 1570 should not do any internal scaling.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by urlawyer
              All video outputs are scaled to the Video Out Format which you set to send to your monitor which can be 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. I.E. if your monitor's resolution is a 1080i, like mine, all inputs will be scaled to 1080i. So a 1080p will be scaled down to 1080i and a 420 from a DVD will be scaled to 1080i.

Since you have the OPPO you can set it to the output to the native resolution of the TV set and the 1570 should not do any internal scaling.
              Sorry, check the manual again. There is no scaling done to the HDMI inputs. No matter what the resolution you set in the Rotel menu, what you send in is what you get out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• urlawyer
                • Feb 2009

Page 19 right side of page of the manual states: "The output resolution is specified in the VIDEO/HDMI setup menue. All signals from all sources (any resolution) are converted to the desired resolution."

Therefore, as I read it if you set the output resolution to the monitor to 720p, all inputs regardless of their resolution will be converted to 720p.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

That's probably not changed from the 1069's manual. If you look on page 18 and the conversion chart, HDMI in at XXXres only outputs at XXXres and HDMI inputs are never sent to any other output.

In any case, I can verify it doesn't. A little surprised since I used that feature in my 1069 to scale 720p PS3 games to 1080i.

Kevin D.

Comment

• urlawyer
                    • Feb 2009

Interesting, my RSX 1500 states on page 49: "VIDEO OUT FORMAT: Specifies the video resolution and format of the video output at the TV MONITOR outputs. The receiver will scale all video inputs up to this specified resolution for a perfect match with the native resolution of your HDTV monitor. Can be 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p." And it does this very well. So well that I have put off buying a Blu-ray player because it up scales my DVD to 1080i (native resolution of my TV monitor) perfectly. It, also, does a great job on VHS tape and Directv, when not being sent as 1080i.

It appears to me that the RSX 1570 is just the preamp without the RSX 1560 amps built in and, therefore, works the same. In fact I am using my 1560 as a preamp for the first 5 channels and the sixth and seventh channels for my back speakers.

I read the manuals for both before buying the RSX 1560 because I was tempted to buy the RSX 1570 but decided that having the built in amps could serve a purpose should one of my external amps die.

From reading the manuals, for both, it appears to me that the specs for both preamp sections are the same. However, I could be wrong, if I am please let me know where and what the differences are. And if the differences are for the better, I may kick myself around the block for not buying the RSX 1570.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Is your DVD player and DSS hooked up with HDMI and are you using the HDMI output? That's the only things that are bypassed. Using any other input or the component output will use the scaler.

Kevin D.

Comment

• urlawyer
                        • Feb 2009

Let's see:

RSX 1560 HDMI output to Monitor - set to native (1080i),
                        Directv HDMI to RSX 1560 input #1 - set to HDMI and HDMI,
                        DVD S-Video and Optical to RSX 1560 input #2- set to S-Video and Optical,
                        VCR analog to RSX 1560 analog input #3- Set to S-Video and analog,
                        Turntable output to phono head amp analog to RSX 1560 input #5 - set to analog and no vidio, and cassette tape unit to RSX 1560 Tape in.

Also, the Directv and DVD anologs are plugged into the RSX 1560 so that the tape output can be sent to head phone amps, on hard wired and one blue tooth.

ALL inputs a scaled according the the Rolel manual and I have not found anywhere in the manual that indicates that the HDMI inputs are not scaled.

As I said earlier, I read both manuals and neither states that the HDMI inputs are not scaled to the output setting.

I think I will leave it at this. You read it one way and I another.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by urlawyer
                          Let's see:

RSX 1560 HDMI output to Monitor - set to native (1080i),
                          Directv HDMI to RSX 1560 input #1 - set to HDMI and HDMI,
                          Is your Directv box set to native or is is set to 1080i? This is the only input you're using HDMI for, and the directv box uses it's own scaler unless you enable every output and set it to native.

I think I will leave it at this. You read it one way and I another.
                          Here's the chart that's in both manuals. If you send it 720p over HDMI, the only available output will be 720p.

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I concur - the chart is AFAIK correct: HDMI sources are pass-thru and not scaled to the set output resolution. It makes sense, otherwise 1080/24fps would not work.
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"