X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Oppo BP83SE and Blind Testing

The March issue of Stereophile showed up yesterday, and inside was the review of the Oppo BDP83SE, in the Music in the Round column. Kal, The Man, did a blind test comparing the analog audio outputs of the Oppo BDP83SE and Oppo BDP83. Way to go Kal! :T

Well, I know I appreciated it. And, I think it was very needed to restore some confidence in audio reviews, especially after the Lexicon BD30 fiasco discussed here:

He also reviewed the Lex BD30.

Just wanted to let y'all know. Those interested in the details can pick up the mag.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Was he able to tell a difference?

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
      Was he able to tell a difference?
      He heard a difference, but It didn't sound like he tested whether he could identify a difference or not. The test was just set up to eliminate bias in the review, as he didn't have ABX blind test box. So he didn't know which he was listening during the period in which he was comparing the two.

If he had someone else work the switch while he was listening he could have done that type of blind test, but I didn't see anything like that mentioned. Could have, I need to read it more closely.

But he did eliminate personal bias, and that is very good thing IMO.
      John unk:

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
        The March issue of Stereophile showed up yesterday, and inside was the review of the Oppo BDP83SE, in the Music in the Round column. Kal, The Man, did a blind test comparing the analog audio outputs of the Oppo BDP83SE and Oppo BDP83. Way to go Kal! :T

Well, I know I appreciated it. And, I think it was very needed to restore some confidence in audio reviews, especially after the Lexicon BD30 fiasco discussed here:

He also reviewed the Lex BD30. Just wanted to let y'all know. Those interested in the details can pick up the mag.
        And the winner is?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Sorry, I can't say anymore. You could get the magazine when it shows up at the store. Or, maybe Kal will see this and drop a few crumbs.
          John unk:

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah, not really any place locally that carry it Oh well though.

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

I've seen it at Barnes and Noble, probably show up there in a couple weeks.
              John unk:

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

I've seen it at Barnes and Noble, probably show up there in a couple weeks.
                I guess I need a trip at B&N
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

He heard a difference, but It didn't sound like he tested whether he could identify a difference or not. The test was just set up to eliminate bias in the review, as he didn't have ABX blind test box. So he didn't know which he was listening during the period in which he was comparing the two.

If he had someone else work the switch while he was listening he could have done that type of blind test, but I didn't see anything like that mentioned. Could have, I need to read it more closely.

But he did eliminate personal bias, and that is very good thing IMO.
                  Thanks. Yes, it would have been better to have another 'blinded' individual do the switching for ABX but that was/is not possible. It might be for a short session but my auditions were spread over about 2 weeks. Also, the situation required an attentive switcher to insure that both players had the same disc and that the single remote controlled both players in synchrony. My wife's interest and attention do not go that far.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well B&N is at minimum 45 min away. Don't make it out that way very often.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      Thanks. Yes, it would have been better to have another 'blinded' individual do the switching for ABX but that was/is not possible. It might be for a short session but my auditions were spread over about 2 weeks. Also, the situation required an attentive switcher to insure that both players had the same disc and that the single remote controlled both players in synchrony. My wife's interest and attention do not go that far.
                      Yeah, I appreciate the difficulty in setting up and conducting a good double test.
                      John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2007

Well B&N is at minimum 45 min away. Don't make it out that way very often.
                        Dougie, for about the price of a CD you could get a year subscription to Stereophile, like I do. It is Sooo worth it! Order now and you'd get the March issue, I'm sure.
                        John unk:

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Yeah....maybe. I don't generally have a lot of time where I can sit down and read something lol. When I do get that sort of time usually the kids are bothering me, if they aren't then they would be after I pull out a magazine. They like to flip through the pages of books/magazines.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

FYI

Stereophile covers everything high-end and audiophile audio. Turntables and music servers, to solid-state and tube amplifiers and preamps, to loudspeakers.

Have it either way, ink & papyrus for those of us, like me, who still crave the ability to physically caress the written word, or tech-savvy e-version (with postponed publish dates compared to the rag) of all the same goodies.

Hey! Why no Kindle version? :W
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

You could always view it on line and print it out to read it...........

Best of both worlds??? LOL.
                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I bet that violates some copy wright law of some sort lol.

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

If you are interested in reading about all kinds of good equipment and learning more about our "hobby", I really recommend subscribing to Stereophile. Good, informative, (many times) fun writing. :T

And, FWIW I'm not affiliated with the publication in any way.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Oh I know it's a great magazine, I've looked it over a few times while getting coffee in B&N.

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Oh I know it's a great magazine, I've looked it over a few times while getting coffee in B&N.
                                      No more Stereophile at my B&N Kal's article caused the shortage :T Way to go Kal

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"