X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gianluca
    • Oct 2008

HDMI to analog 7.1 decoder

Hello all,

Anyone here need one of these, seems this company has done it. ETA is for March. Anyone know of other ones?? Price seems fair... Anyone know this company and other products they make?

Found this tid bit aswell...

The new HDS Octava-A71 also has audio inputs and outputs useful to interface with multichannel amp without HDMI inputs when using sources that have only a single multi-channel audio output via HDMI (eg Sony PlayStation3). The Octava has a 24/192 DAC BurrBrown of PCM1681 (type Delta-Sigma, SN ratio and dynamic range of 105 dB).

Luca
    Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |
  • HiRez
    • Aug 2007

Thanks for sharing this Gianluca.

I, for one, would very much like to see something like this from Rotel.
    At the very least, Rotel could oem this or similar product and give it a Rotel face; that way foreign objects (i.e. non-Rotel gear) in my setup would be minimized.
    While I am in wishing mode; SACD-DSD and video processing would not hurt either.
    This is especially important for the RSP-1098 owners because:
    i.The owners of the flagship product are not left on their own. That would speak very highly of the investment protection value proposition a high-end company would like to make.
    ii. Will there be a replacement for RSP-1098 anytime soon? I have not heard anything from Rotel yet. Other high end manufacturers such as Parasound (Halo or otherwise) do not have anything new(HDMI audio processing) either as far as I can tell.

This external co-processor approach would not be new to Rotel.
    They used to have a pre/pro, can't recall the model number (probably 900 series), and a seperate box for DolbyDigital and yet another seperate box for DTS all connected via DB25 cable.

Please Rotel, help me keep my beloved RSP-1098. ;x(

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Gianluca
      Hello all,

Anyone here need one of these, seems this company has done it. ETA is for March. Anyone know of other ones?? Price seems fair... Anyone know this company and other products they make?

Found this tid bit aswell...

The new HDS Octava-A71 also has audio inputs and outputs useful to interface with multichannel amp without HDMI inputs when using sources that have only a single multi-channel audio output via HDMI (eg Sony PlayStation3). The Octava has a 24/192 DAC BurrBrown of PCM1681 (type Delta-Sigma, SN ratio and dynamic range of 105 dB).

Luca
      Nice, and needed, idea. There are 2 others that are similar. BTW, none will decode any of the HD codecs, so, if you are planning on using it for BluRay, you need a BDP that can decode them to PCM (rather than bitstream them).

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HiRez
        Thanks for sharing this Gianluca.

I, for one, would very much like to see something like this from Rotel.
        At the very least, Rotel could oem this or similar product and give it a Rotel face; that way foreign objects (i.e. non-Rotel gear) in my setup would be minimized.
        While I am in wishing mode; SACD-DSD and video processing would not hurt either.
        This is especially important for the RSP-1098 owners because:
        i.The owners of the flagship product are not left on their own. That would speak very highly of the investment protection value proposition a high-end company would like to make.
        ii. Will there be a replacement for RSP-1098 anytime soon? I have not heard anything from Rotel yet. Other high end manufacturers such as Parasound (Halo or otherwise) do not have anything new(HDMI audio processing) either as far as I can tell.

This external co-processor approach would not be new to Rotel.
        They used to have a pre/pro, can't recall the model number (probably 900 series), and a seperate box for DolbyDigital and yet another seperate box for DTS all connected via DB25 cable.

Please Rotel, help me keep my beloved RSP-1098. ;x(
        Although there is nothing official yet, it looks like there will be a replacement for the RSP-1098. The model number that is being used is RSP-1590 and the preliminary price is $4000.00US. The tentative time frame is Q4 this year. Look for something to be announced at CEDIA in September. Of course this is not official so things can change. I've posted info on a different thread.

Eric

Comment

• Gianluca
          • Oct 2008

The search I have done on this unit does not make any reference to bass management or speaker delay/distance. It would then not be any good since most pre/pro's or integrated units bybass all of these ajustments when multi channel is used. I emailed the company with some questions and will post reponse if I get one. Funny thing is they make it look like it is perfect for PS3 owners, but the PS3 does not have bass management or delay settings.

This unit would indeed help those who wish to keep non HDMI units. I for one would keep my RSX-1056 a little while longer...

Luca
          Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• bnieman
            • Jun 2006

Very nice! I may just buy one of these and call it a day. I've been trying to sell my RSP-1068 but what I can get for it hardly puts a dent in the price of the 1570 and I have been very happy with the 1068.

All I want is HDMI switching and the ability to use the new surround sound formats. And on paper, this little unit looks like the perfect fit.

Anyone have an opinion on the 24/192 DAC BurrBrown of PCM1681 (type Delta-Sigma, SN ratio and dynamic range of 105 dB)? How does this compare the the DACs in the Rotel pre/pros?
            Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Gianluca
              • Oct 2008

Hello all,

Here are some answer recieved for questions concerning this unit. I for one see no use in having it my system, it wont be able to take the PS3 HDMI and route video to TV and audio via analog multi to my RSX-1056. The serch continues or 2 grand for a new 15 series.

Hello Luca,

Thank you for your inquiry.

1, Does it have Speaker distance, size and bass management.
              No it does not.
              2, Does it support True HD and DTS Master.
              Yes, but only on HDMI outputs

3, Detailed specs ie. DAC being used, S/N
              Burr Brown

Thank You,

Customer Support

7076 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.

Suite 100

Norcross, Ga. 30071

Comment

• Nuthed
                • Jan 2007

There may be some confusion. If you read the info on the website it says it will take a decoded PCM signal and split it into up to 8 channels of analog audio.

Why does it need to support True HD or DTS MA?

As far as not being able to send video to the TV and analog audio to a receiver or pre-pro........that is EXACTLY what it claims to do. This would be perfect for PS3 owners who have legacy(non HDMI) equipment.
                Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                RB980-BX driving mains
                Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                SVS PB-12

Comment

• bnieman
                  • Jun 2006

It will work only if you have 7 speakers and a sub. If you only have 5 speakers and sub then you will be losing all the information in the remaining 2 channels. Which is exactly why it won't work for me.

Comment

• Nuthed
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by bnieman
                    It will work only if you have 7 speakers and a sub. If you only have 5 speakers and sub then you will be losing all the information in the remaining 2 channels. Which is exactly why it won't work for me.
                    I know there is more and more 7.1 material out there, but they ALL work with 5.1 systems anyway. So I'm not sure what the implications will be. What happens to 7.1 material played on and therefore decoded by a PS3 or any other BD player that outputs decoded PCM, when you only have a 5.1 system?

Even if this device did adversely effect 7.1 material that still leaves all the 5.1 dts MA and True HD out there to work fine.
                    Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                    SVS PB-12

Comment

• bnieman
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Nuthed
                      What happens to 7.1 material played on and therefore decoded by a PS3 or any other BD player that outputs decoded PCM, when you only have a 5.1 system?
                      Well if you are sending it to your preamp/processor via HDMI, you can tell the preamp/processor that you only have 5 speakers and as a result the receiver will downmix the LPCM signal from 7.1 to 5.1 making sure you are not missing any information.

It is my assumption that the Octava does not have that kind of processing built in as there would need to be a switch or graphical user interface of some sort to apply the setting.

Comment

• Gianluca
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Nuthed
                        There may be some confusion. If you read the info on the website it says it will take a decoded PCM signal and split it into up to 8 channels of analog audio.

Why does it need to support True HD or DTS MA?

As far as not being able to send video to the TV and analog audio to a receiver or pre-pro........that is EXACTLY what it claims to do. This would be perfect for PS3 owners who have legacy(non HDMI) equipment.
                        Ok it does not need to support True HD or DTS MA...I'll give you that. But for HT you must have a way to set speaker size, delay, bass management and sound levels, this it does not do. Unless I wrong I still don't see how it would help a guy like me who wants to keep his 10 series and has a PS3. Multi input is a straight bypass of all these settings so the only possibility I see for my case would be a bluray that has analog outs and the required settings built in.

Gianluca

Comment

• dmcgowan
                          • Sep 2003

Gianluca,

You're right - you either buy a configurable, analog out Blu-Ray player or you need to get a new AVR. It would be nice if there was a cost-effective Rotel box which would take the HDMI signals and process them for us but I can't see it happening...

Comment

• gd
                            • Jan 2003

If the cost of a current Rotel is prohibitive, take a look at Emotiva.

Otherwise, the Octavia decoder in the OP seems entirely useless, unless one's Bluray player is completely equipped with its own EQ configurability.

And players are so varied in capability, it seems more trouble than it's worth to find a match to implement an inexpensive short-cut box like the Octavia.
                            greg (gd to you)
                            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Nuthed
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Gianluca
                              Ok it does not need to support True HD or DTS MA...I'll give you that. But for HT you must have a way to set speaker size, delay, bass management and sound levels, this it does not do. Unless I wrong I still don't see how it would help a guy like me who wants to keep his 10 series and has a PS3.
                              Gianluca
                              You are correct Sir, and that is exactly why I have an Integra DTR 7.8 driving my main theater and a Rotel RSX-972 in the downstairs family room for the kids.

One hell of a travesty. :cry:
                              Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                              Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                              SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"