X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

HDMI Audio Ouput or Pass through from Receiver

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading to the RSX-1560 but have a question regarding HDMI output on receivers.

Is audio sent with the HDMI output on the receiver? If so is the audio the same as the source or does the receiver process the audio in any way (volume, surround processing, etc)?

I ask because I want to use the HDMI output to go another zone of my house where the HDMI will be run directly into another TV. I want to know if the receiver will strip all audio and send a silent video signal to my other zone or if it will pass audio through to the other zone.

Are all HDMI receivers (Rotel/non-Rotel) pretty much the same in this regard?

Thanks!
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I'm sure it works like the 1069 where you have a choice of stopping the audio signal at the unit, or passing it through unchanged to the TV.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Awesome Just what I was hoping

I am thinking of using an external HDMI switcher the opposite way of its intention. The port labeled "Output" will be the input of the Rotel HDMI receiver's output, and all the labeled "Inputs" on the external switcher will go to different zones of the house. I can then run those into TVs or Receivers throughout the house... That means Blu-Ray, SACD, DVD-A, Dish Network HD DVR to all rooms... (although only one at a time... but it's just my girlfriend and I here)

Anyone see any flaws with this logic aside from only one zone use at a time?
      Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Most HDMI switchers are not passive. They have to negotiate as well. You will probably run in to issues trying to feed through it backwards.

Why not get an HDMI splitter and run all outputs all the time.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"