X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfinneru
    • Nov 2003

my rotel gear arrived this afternoon!

hey! I found this forum today, searching for info regarding rotel products.
    The last 5 years I have used Denon recievers in my HT. First the avc-a1d
    and until last friday avc-a1se. Then I sold it and today I put in an order for
    Rotel RSP1098
    Rotel RB 1090 and Rotel RMB1095.
    Hopefully I will get the gear in two days 8)
    I just can't wait to get it in the house
    Now a question regarding firmware upgrade. Should I ask the dealer to instal the newest firmware before I pick it up , or do I have to download it myself? As I understand, the cable connecting my pc to the preamp comes with the preamp?
    brgds joern

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
    brgds joern

• mazuly
    • Feb 2003

Hi,

Welcome to Club Rotel and congratulations on your new gear. That is a killer gear you bought . I am sure you will love the sound of it.

As for the upgrade, it is very easy to do. First press and hold the mute button on the remote to see which version of the firmware you have. If it is not the latest one, then download the firmware and the upgrading procedure from here. Just make sure that you print and read the instructions before you do the upgrade and it should be very strait forward.

Good luck and let us know if you require any other help.

Thanks,
    Maziar

Comment

• jfinneru
      • Nov 2003

tnks for reply. can't wait to get the units home from the dealer. 8)

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Holy nice gear! 8O Congrats on the purchase, let us know how it goes when ya get it

You wouldn't want to trade equipmeent by any chance...? Think of it as charitable work, your sure to get into heaven

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• jfinneru
          • Nov 2003

my kind of charity is to invite good friend over to watch a movie im my HT, eat , drink and have a blast of an evening
          the rest of the gear I will use together is as follows:
          front speakers: acoustic research 312 ho
          center and rear speakers: acoustic research 308 ho
          rear side speakers: paradigm
          Sub: mirage 12"
          projector: davis dpx-16 xga dlp
          240cm x 240 cm screen.
          Denon dvd5000 dvd player
          Denon TuS10 tuner
          Nokia mediamaster 9802 digital satelite tuner
          panasonic 32w television
          playstation2, with wheel and pedals

it's cold in Norway during winter, so it's plenty of time to spend in the HT.
          brgds joern

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• jfinneru
            • Nov 2003

hey! picked up my rotelgear today. wow! heavy stuff!
            But now I think i got a problem.. :cry:
            I connected the 1098 to the poweroutlet and fired it up. I wanted to see ob the display what firm ware it is on it. The problem is that the picture on the screen goes from one side of the screen to the other (fast like an old pc screen with vertical/horisontal sync problems) What am I to do with this? return to dealer and get a new one?
            Pls, need quick respond to this issue

I sorted it out myself 8)
            I just connected everything to it and fired it up.
            the only "problem now is that I now need to carry my pc to my HT to upgrade the software. Or get a long enough cable.. :?

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• mazuly
              • Feb 2003

Hi,

Good to hear everything has worked out for you.

If I were you, I would listen to some music and watch a movie or two. I am sure you can upgrade the software later

Have fun and keep us posted with your first impressions.

Thanks,
              Maziar

Comment

• jfinneru
                • Nov 2003

Hey! my first impression is very good
                I find the sound to be more detailed and more"3D"
                I also hear differences in dynamics of the sound. probebly because of all the power reserves the amps have. And it's still not breaken in. I have only used it 5 hours..
                I remember some here in this forum said when turning off the screen it would still glow a little. mine don't, totally black when turned off.
                one question: I played it with around 75 on the volume. what is the maximum number on the volume?
                also, what would be the best setup for bass managment? now I have main,center and side surround set to large. (12" bass in front and 8" in center and rear) the sub also have a crossover knob(40-150)
                any ideas?
                joern 8)

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• ht_addict
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jfinneru
                  I also hear differences in dynamics of the sound. probebly because of all the power reserves the amps have. And it's still not breaken in. I have only used it 5 hours..
                  I remember some here in this forum said when turning off the screen it would still glow a little. mine don't, totally black when turned off.
                  one question: I played it with around 75 on the volume. what is the maximum number on the volume?
                  also, what would be the best setup for bass managment? now I have main,center and side surround set to large. (12" bass in front and 8" in center and rear) the sub also have a crossover knob(40-150)
                  any ideas?
                  joern 8)
                  Great to hear your enjoying your new setup. One question: Are you having the dreaded buzz that everyone talks about?

As far as your questions go I would set my speakers to small and let the subs handly 80hz plus LFE. Set the sub crossover in the 1098 to 80hz and turn the knob on the subs to 150 to prevent any problems. This lets the 1098 handle all crossover as only anything from 80hz down will be sent to the subs. As far as volume goes have you calibrated your setup with a sound level meter? If not do so. Volume on the dial is really irrelavant if you calibrate your speakers to 85db at a specific spot on the dial.

Kevin

Comment

• jfinneru
                    • Nov 2003

hey. I have buzz in the sub, but thats because of an amplifier error in the sub. it needs to be replaced. with sub off, no new buzz from the rotels. the sub buzz I can live with since I don't hear it watching movies or listen to music. in norway we have 230V and ground connection on every poweroutlet, so buzzing might not be so much of a problem here. looking forward to get home from work and fire up the rotels again! a lot of fine tuning/tweeking and reding of instructionmanuals etc etc. but good fun. next week I have a week vacation... It will be spent in my HT (and also in the gym.. not just in the sofa) 8)

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jfinneru
                      any ideas?
                      joern 8)
                      I just went through this myself with my new 1066, 1075 and Energy C-series speakers and this is what I found:

Experiment with your setup. Don't just blindly set speakers to large or small. Depends a lot on the sensitivity of your speakers and what amps your using to power them among other things. I personally like playing mine full range like you have yours set up, however that does not appear to be the common or popular method. Based on the size and I presume capabiliies of your speakers and that you have a lot of high powered amps to power them with (especially if you're using the 1090 on your mains, which I presume you are), you probably can run them as large and contrary to popular belief it could sound quite fine. But by every means experiment and try both to see which you prefer. The thinking is that by sending more lower frequencies to the sub away from your speakers you will free up power in the amp and the speakers to more clearly play the mid and higher frequencies. But my thinking is that if the amp and your speakers can handle a full range signal(which usually doesn't go that deep in movies anyway as the engineers are quite aware of the LFE channel), and which your equipment appears to be able to handle, that then you won't be over burdening your sub with extraneous sound to create and it can concentrate it's efforts on making clear deep bass. You might decide to keep your mains large and set your centre and/or rears to small with a low crossover point of 40, 60 or 80Hz but experiment and see what you like. Whatever you chose, you are going to want to set the crossover on your sub to it's highest setting or if it has the ability to turn off the crossover alltogether, do that to avoid overlapping the 1098's crossover. Ht_addict's advice on calibrating with an SPL meter is probably the best first step you can do if you haven't already done so to improve the sound. Other than that... I hope you're enjoying all that fabulous gear as much as I'm sure I would

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                      Jason

Comment

• jfinneru
                        • Nov 2003

Hey! just one question regarding buzz. my english might not be that good, but by buzz do you mean a noise in the high frequency area or low frequence area? the reason for this question is that if I put my ear in front of the tweeter of the speakers, I can hear some noise. The source for this might be the cablesalad I have.. :?

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• DPA
                          • Nov 2003

Hi.

I got some background buzz in my speakers also with an Vincent poweramp..

worst in the Center speaker... why? have no idea!...

http://www.prisjakt.nu/galleri.php?user=Demon
                          Demon Dungeon

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"