X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digitalshah
    • Nov 2008

Question for Rotel RSP-1098 Owners

I just got a used Rotel RSP-1098 Processor. Do you reccomend keeping the display on the front panel on all the time, the sleep mode or just keeping it off. Just concerned that keeping it on or the sleep mode (turning it on and off) can shorten the display life. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I have mine on sleep mode. I really don't think that being a TFT Display that either way will really hurt it.

I wouldn't recommend constantly turning it on and off, but normal usage I'm sure won't hurt it.
    -Joe

Comment

• Kreyfish
      • Feb 2008

I have had a 1098 for about two years now and have had it set to both sleep mode and constantly on. Personally, sleep mode was a little annoying with the screen lighting up whenever I tweaked the volume up or down, so a year or so ago I set it to constantly on. I have noticed no degradation in the screen brightness after many hours of use and find the small image pleasant when I glance down from my Kuro.

Congratulations on your purchase Dig, the 1098 is a fine pre/pro for both multi channel and stereo listening.
      Have you checked that it has the latest firmware?
      It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

Comment

• imbeaujp
        • Nov 2007

Personaly, I keep it on 50% (movies) and off 50% (music).
        Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
        PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
        YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
        PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

• Pilroy
          • Oct 2003

BEWARE: Display sleep mode and volume adjustments

Originally posted by digitalshah
          I just got a used Rotel RSP-1098 Processor. Do you reccomend keeping the display on the front panel on all the time, the sleep mode or just keeping it off. Just concerned that keeping it on or the sleep mode (turning it on and off) can shorten the display life. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
          I strongly recommend to avoid the "Sleep Mode" as frequent volume adjustments "reactivate" the background lighting and put quite a stress on some relays. This has been my own experience:

I was not the only one:

BTW: I am am still sticking to the RSP-1098, IMHO a fantastic HT processor. Bought an Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver to use it as HT prepro ... and sold it after one week, sound wasn't up to my expectations.

Pit

Comment

• Mig17
            • Jan 2008

exellent opinion
            I will keep my Anthem D1 and need no HDMI :T

Originally posted by Pilroy
            I strongly recommend to avoid the "Sleep Mode" as frequent volume adjustments "reactivate" the background lighting and put quite a stress on some relays. This has been my own experience:

I was not the only one:

BTW: I am am still sticking to the RSP-1098, IMHO a fantastic HT processor. Bought an Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver to use it as HT prepro ... and sold it after one week, sound wasn't up to my expectations.

Pit

Comment

• digitalshah
              • Nov 2008

PS3 compatibility with RSP-1098

Kreyfish, I think it has 2.2.3 firmware and it was upgraded to HDMI switching by Rotel earlier this year by its previous owner.

Also, to anyone who knows... I am wanting to use the RSP-1098 with a PS3. Any issues for the decoding of Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master Audio? Thanks again Guys..

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

The HDMI upgrade just adds HDMI switching. There's is no audio support from HDMI on the 1098. With the PS3 not having any analog outputs, you will not be able to experience any of the new formats.

Best bet is to get the Sony S550 and run the 7.1 analog cables to the 1098's multi-inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Pilroy
                  • Oct 2003

That's exactly how I addressed my "need" for the new HD soundtracks: Panasonic BD-55 connected through its analog outputs to the 5.1 multi-inputs of the RSP-1098.

Interesting: After some serious tests, I noticed that the decoding of good old Dolby Digital 5.1 and also DTS was still (much) better when performed by the 1098 rather than the BD-55. That's why my BD-55 is also connected through digital coax to the 1098:
                  - BR disc with uncompressed PCM or Dolby HD / DTS HD tracks -> I switch the 1098 to multi-inputs (analog),
                  - DVD -> switch to coax digital input and let the RSP do decoding + bass management best ;-)

Pit

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"