X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

RSP1098 DPLII-C processing

I recently started noticing something "strange" while watching TV using DPL II in Cinema mode.
    It seems like a lot of the voices are coming out of the front and rear speakers, when they should ONLY be in the center channel.
    It's always been like this, but i've noticed it's program dependent.
    For instance, most movies are fine, but series or talkshows and stuff sound "wrong" because I can definitely hear the voice of the host coming from all speakers. :roll:
    When the Emulation mode is activated (e.g. normal ProLogic) this gets a lot better, and voices only come out of the center.
    It's not that the entire voice comes out of the rear speakers, mostly the sibilants.
    Never had this on my previous receiver, voices were directly in the centerchannel, not somewhere else.
    Anyone else noticed this or is it just me again ?
    I thought all Prologic processing was done the same, regardless of the brand of electronics and that it was standardized by Dolby, maybe it's not ?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I'm just guessing here but I bet that has a whole lot more to do with how they recorded the audio than how your 1098's decoding it....

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• mazuly
      • Feb 2003

I have noticed the same thing as well, and that is as you pointed out on series or talk shows. I have never had this problem on a DVD that was presented in 2 channel surround though. A 2 channel material can only be broadcast in surround using DPL, if the 2 channel recording is done properly and the surround information is recorded in a way that can be processed by the DPL algorithm. If the recording does not represent this information properly or another words not coded properly, then DPL stirring logic can get confused and therefore it will send information to wrong channel(s). In case of Rotel processors, I think the chip used is more sensitive in order provide the best possible ambient sound possible and when it gets the wrong information, it just gets confused easer. IMO the signal is faulty and not the processor.

Of course this is all speculations on my part and I may be completely wrong on this

Thanks,
      Maziar

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

Yeah, that's one of the things I had thought about too.
        Seeing as it works perfectly with movies on TV, where not a single note is placed in a channel where it doesn't belong.
        But on talkshows, which either are not DPL encoded, or encoded in the wrong way (i'm betting on the 1st option though) it totally screws up placement of voices.
        We're just gonna have to nag some more until Rotel adds a discrete code to the remote for selecting Dolby ProLogic Emulation, where it now only has a code for DPL II-C and DPL II-M.

Comment

• mazuly
          • Feb 2003

That is a good idea

Thanks,
          Maziar

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Dr Boom and Mazuly,

You'll be pleased to know that this feature is already in the Wish List 3.0b under "Remote Control Codes" and the request for "Direct Select for All Sound Modes". For clarity I have explictly listed the Dolby Prologic Emulation Mode in the draft of V 3.0c that I have waiting

Geoff Costello

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"