X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usul
    • Nov 2003

rotel RTC965 vs. 2007/2008 models

Hello all..

For the time being, I'm using the Rotel RTC965 Surround Pre.

This Is my first Rotel surround sound processor..

I have my eye on the new Rotel RSP 1570...

Now, the question..

How much difference do you think I will notice from this old series to the newer RSP Series?

I know the newer rotels have more advanced bass managment, and better parts, but what kind of sound difference?

Thanx all..

I really need to know before I buy another Rotel Surround PRe.
  • Ferres
    • Jan 2007

Even if the sound improvements are marginal, the real selling point of the 1570 is the hdmi connectivity and the new HD audio decoding. Assuming you plan on moving to blue-ray.

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

And of course the new look of the 15-series are very different.

If you are going to move on to Blu-ray, then HDMI audio connectivity is a must. The 15-series also added HD audio decoding, which is missing in the RSP 1069. If you want to stick with Rotel, then the 1570 is a very worthy upgrade, considering that Rotel marks its MSRP the same as the RSP 1069.

If you can wait a little bit and do not mind trying other brands, then you may also consider the Emotiva UMC-1 and see how that compares to either the Rotel 1069 or the 1570. The Emotiva unit would cost about $1000 less than either Rotel units.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kmcheng
        And of course the new look of the 15-series are very different.

If you are going to move on to Blu-ray, then HDMI audio connectivity is a must. The 15-series also added HD audio decoding, which is missing in the RSP 1069. If you want to stick with Rotel, then the 1570 is a very worthy upgrade, considering that Rotel marks its MSRP the same as the RSP 1069.

If you can wait a little bit and do not mind trying other brands, then you may also consider the Emotiva UMC-1 and see how that compares to either the Rotel 1069 or the 1570. The Emotiva unit would cost about $1000 less than either Rotel units.
        usul,

I agree with the HDMI/Blu ray assessment. If you are going BR, then having the lossless formats is a must. They are truly awesome. The HDMI connectivity is also a very good feature.

As to your original question, how much a difference will going to the 1570 make. My opinion is that it will be substantial. I had the RSP 985. I then went to a RSP 1068. There was better performane all across the board. Better two channel. Definitely better in HT. The bass management alone will help you to integrate your system better. In the end, your system will sound better and disappear more, because it will be much more cohesive. It will also be more detailed and dynamic.

If you can do the 1570, I would definitely recommend it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• usul
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by htsteve
          usul,

I agree with the HDMI/Blu ray assessment. If you are going BR, then having the lossless formats is a must. They are truly awesome. The HDMI connectivity is also a very good feature.

As to your original question, how much a difference will going to the 1570 make. My opinion is that it will be substantial. I had the RSP 985. I then went to a RSP 1068. There was better performane all across the board. Better two channel. Definitely better in HT. The bass management alone will help you to integrate your system better. In the end, your system will sound better and disappear more, because it will be much more cohesive. It will also be more detailed and dynamic.

If you can do the 1570, I would definitely recommend it.

Hope this helps.
          thanks to all for the input..

I for sure am going to use blu-ray, and very much will like to use the new audio formats...

I had other pre-amps, like Anthem D2 v.1, Lexicon MC12 ,Yamaha, etc, but always was curious about Rotel Surround Pre.. I even had a rotel 2 channel pre for a while and loved it.. until I got into the Digital hype...

Many years ago, when looking into a preamp for HT, I heard the Rotel back then, and the Lexicon.. In the back of my mind, the Rotel was more exciting, more dynamic.. but... I got the thinking that paying more is better.. ops:

I love Rotel, as I have 2 power amps from them.. Like the 5 channel 200 watt RMB-1095, and the RB-993,,, BTW,, LOVE THE AMPS!!!

Now that I have this RTC-965 pre, I like the sound, but compared to the other pre's I had, something is wrong.. Like bass is a little boomy, and surround are a little too much Mid bass.. Me Thinks this is because this pre is old, and outdated..

But after the suggestions, I now have faith that the new series will fix these issues, and I will get the awesome Rotel sound I need.. without the hype about Room Correction... I hope... :W

Comment

• usul
            • Nov 2003

AFter listening to more and more of the RTC965, it sounds good, but......

I find the bass is very boomy .. and very chesty from subs and speakers (expecially center speaker).

I'm a little scared of this, but think maybe it mostly due to the poor bass management of this unit? and that the slopes for the cut-offs are not steep like the new units...

Can anyone confirm that the RSP series (the newest one before the new 15 series) is less boomy or very clean sounding..

thanx..

Comment

• kmcheng
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by usul
              AFter listening to more and more of the RTC965, it sounds good, but......

I find the bass is very boomy .. and very chesty from subs and speakers (expecially center speaker).

I'm a little scared of this, but think maybe it mostly due to the poor bass management of this unit? and that the slopes for the cut-offs are not steep like the new units...

Can anyone confirm that the RSP series (the newest one before the new 15 series) is less boomy or very clean sounding..

thanx..
              usul,

You know, a lot of this depends on your speakers, your room, and the settings on the processor. Chances are that with proper tuning and room treatment you will get rid of the boominess you are experience with your 965.

Of course, that should not discourage you from upgrading to the 1570. The lossless tracks on Blu-ray discs are really something else. For example, someone on AVSforum compared the Bluray version of "Transformers" and the HD-DVD version. The Bluray version contains the lossless track, and the review said it blows away the HD-DVD version, which contains a DD+ track.

I recently acquire an RSP-1069 and it sounded clean and not boomy. I am sure the new 1570 will sound fine too.
              Last edited by kmcheng; 19 September 2008, 11:23 Friday.

Comment

• usul
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by kmcheng
                usul,

You know, a lot of this depends on your speakers, your room, and the settings on the processor. Chances are that with proper tuning and room treatment you will get rid of the boominess you are experience with your 965.

Of course, that should not discourage you from upgrading to the 1570. The lossless tracks on Blu-ray discs are really something else. For example, someone on AVSforum compared the Bluray version of "Transformers" and the HD-DVD version. The Bluray version contains the lossless track, and the review said it blows away the HD-DVD version, which contains a DD+ track.

I recently acquire an RSP-1069 and it sounded clean and not boomy. I am sure the new 1570 will sound fine too.
                Thanx for the reply..

Me thinks that most of the muddy sound is from the not so steep crossover in the RTC...

Can't wait for the advanced audio...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"