• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuon
    • May 2011

Power conditioner for Rotel equipement

Hello,

I'm asking a lot of question lately

Anyway, I'd like to give proper conditioner power to my rotel equipment (RSP-1570 + RB-1582). But I don't know what I should use.

I looked at the furman gears, and they are not expensive, but I was wondering what you guy used.

Cheers

Nicolas
  • hemmex
    • Jun 2011

Power Conditioner

Hi,

I'm new to HTGuide but I'll throw my two cents worth in anyway. I looked around for a while and found that Thor Technologies offer a good range of power conditioners. I have the model before the current PS10 and paid from memory $1100 about 3 years ago. Does a fantastic job, never missed a beat. I have peace of mind my gear is protected from the constantly fluctuating power out of the socket. You would be suprised just how much the voltage goes above and below 240v. It makes a bit of a clunky sound (alarming at first) when it powers up and when you get a brown out. Probably the internals doing their job but a bit noisy in the process. New model PS10 may have refined this noise!? Not sure. Otherwise the noise happens every now and then. Any good Hifi store should be able to get one if its not carried. Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Cheers

Hemmex

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Welcome to forum, guys!

FWIW, I use the APC H15. It’s basically the same as one Rotel sells(/sold).
      I like it cuz it filters, protects from surges, uses a fairly large toroidal transformer & has auto current limiting. But mostly, I like it for its sequential power-up which keeps my breaker from tripping during turn-on.

Look around, you can often find them on sale.

APC H15

Oh, and most importantly, the black one sounds better. :W

link

Enjoy!
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wywong
        • Jan 2005

Power conditioner

I have try the Furman 15PFI. It didnt do too much noticeable improvement and in my opinion made the sound more harsh and less detail. So if you are not looking for surge and voltage protection, then it is not worth it unless you pay big dollar to get the high end power conditioner from PS audio or others. On a separate note, I was surprise when I replace the stock power cable with the $99 Shunyata Venom 3 power cord on my processor and amp. The sound improvement is quite big and worth every penny of the cable cost. Now I just plug my processor with the venom 3 into a $100 monster power bar and my amp directly into the wall outlet. The sound improvement on my Classe setup is big.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Put a blindfold on and have somebody disconnect and re-connect the power conditioner.....listen and and evaluate the results. I'm not convinced about the power conditioner thing, and whether it makes a difference. Not saying it does not......but just skeptical is all.........

You must get the results right 100% of the time for it to be a major factor in my opinion.....
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• kuon
            • May 2011

Thanks, I guess I won't use a power conditioner for now.

Comment

• gtopaul
              • Jun 2010

I have the Rotel RLC-1040 until last week when a lightning strike in the neighborhood fried it along with my RSX-1055 receiver. Funny, everything was grounded correctly and didn't lose the RB-1070, NHT powered sub, Plasma TV, or DVR, that were also plugged into it. Will be using a cheap power strip now which should blow at the first signs of increased power. Oh, everything was off too with lightning in the area and I didn't have the TV cable routed through the RLC-1040. As far as the unit working, it did seem to properly control the house current to the components since my house current tends to be a few volts high.

Comment

• paazel
                • Apr 2007

I live in a prewar apartment building, so in the summer the power is a bit dodgy (especially when it is air condition season). I use a APC J15 for my Rotel 1550 & Velodyne sub. And an APC H15 on the plasma, tivo & blu-ray. The battery backup/voltage regulation on the J15 is used on the audio end as they need fast power delivery for dynamic sound tracks.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gtopaul
                  I have the Rotel RLC-1040 until last week when a lightning strike in the neighborhood fried it along with my RSX-1055 receiver. Funny, everything was grounded correctly and didn't lose the RB-1070, NHT powered sub, Plasma TV, or DVR, that were also plugged into it. Will be using a cheap power strip now which should blow at the first signs of increased power. Oh, everything was off too with lightning in the area and I didn't have the TV cable routed through the RLC-1040. As far as the unit working, it did seem to properly control the house current to the components since my house current tends to be a few volts high.
                  Guaranteed protection - contact Rotel for details. Should be same coverage as tha APC H15.

Comment

• RoMan
                    • Jan 2007

I'm using a Furman PFi 15 power conditioner and am quite happy with it. It is does what it is supposed to do and that's protect my equipment from surges, over voltages etc. It was a decent price that I paid and am pleased with its performance. I don't expect major improvements from it and all I really want it to do is protect my gear in the event of a catastrophic power surge etc. My suggestion is do your research, email suppliers, talk to dealers of various power conditioners etc, try and get the best price off of the dealer and go for it. Some good suggestions on this thread here too. Good luck kuon.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"