X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ldgibson76
    • Aug 2011

RSX 1550 vs RSP-1570 for Pre Pro duties

For a long time, i've been considering replacing my RSP-1069 with the RSP-1570 or a RSP-1572, if I could find it at an obscenely low price which right, now I know is highly unlikely.

That being said, the likely scenario was the 1570, until recently, someone brought the RSX-1550 to my attention. He explained that there's virtually no difference between the 1570 and 1550's pre-amp functionality. Mainly, the only difference is that the 1550 has speaker terminals and A/B amplifiers. Audio and Video processing chips, capabilities and functions are virtually the same.

I can get the RSX-1550 NIB for a very low price. Even when compared to a pre-owned RSP1570,the price point is much lower.

Looking at the performance measurements of both components, they are virtually equal other than the physical, weight 1550 slightly heavier (amps), profile height 1550 slightly taller. They look like the replicants.

So for the Rotel gurus out there, is it fair to consider the 1550 as an equivalent to the 1570 when it comes to pre-pro duties only?

The reason for the consideration of either is because of the firmware upgradability for 3D pass thru.

For amplification, I'm using two Anthem amps.
    Most recent Images of setup
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Regards,

ldgibson76
    My Setup
    The 2 Channel Within
    "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
    -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ldgibson76
    So for the Rotel gurus out there, is it fair to consider the 1550 as an equivalent to the 1570 when it comes to pre-pro duties only?
    From a technical purist point of view, the RSP-1570 will have its circuitry shielded in a separate enclosure with its own dedicated power supply whereas the RSX-1550 will share its power supply with the internal amplification and have its preamp circuitry in proximity to the amplifier circuitry and larger power supply.

That being said, I would venture that the majority of people would not be able to tell the difference between the two while the minority will say they are able to hear a difference.

From an efficiency, ecological and operating cost point of view, the RSP-1570 will consume 60W of power while the RSX-1550 will consume 67% more power at idle (100W), even if its amplifiers are not being utilized.

In standby, they would be more or less equal, with the RSX-1550 for some reason actually consuming a hair less at 4.7W compared to the RSP-1570 at 5.5W.

Steve

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The power supplies are very different between the two. The RSP-1570, and RSP-1572 for that matter, use torodial transformers for lower noise and the RSX-1550 doesn't. The RSX-1550 is the only surround sound piece in their line that doesn't have a torodial transformer.

There are differences in the parts used in the analog stage as well. The RSP-1570 is designed as a preamp from the ground up and does sound better. You would have to judge for yourself if the difference is worth the extra cost though.

Eric

Comment

• ldgibson76
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by srb
        From a technical purist point of view, the RSP-1570 will have its circuitry shielded in a separate enclosure with its own dedicated power supply whereas the RSX-1550 will share its power supply with the internal amplification and have its preamp circuitry in proximity to the amplifier circuitry and larger power supply.

That being said, I would venture that the majority of people would not be able to tell the difference between the two while the minority will say they are able to hear a difference.

From an efficiency, ecological and operating cost point of view, the RSP-1570 will consume 60W of power while the RSX-1550 will consume 67% more power at idle (100W), even if its amplifiers are not being utilized.

In standby, they would be more or less equal, with the RSX-1550 for some reason actually consuming a hair less at 4.7W compared to the RSP-1570 at 5.5W.

Steve
        Hello Steve.

I want to start by apologizing for my late response to your reply. Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a perspective. All of your points are valid. Especially when it comes to the 80/20 rule. Most will not be able to tell a difference while few may be able to detect the minor difference if any in AQ. But on paper, the performance specs and measurements are virtually the same. So now I'm thinking it comes down to preference and snob appeal.

hifiguymi, brought up an important fact regarding the power transformers, Torrodial vs. EI Core.

Conventional thinking dictates that the Torridial design is inherently quieter than the EI-Core design. That may be true in most cases, but that's not reflected in the S/N rating of both or the frequency response or dynamic range measurements. It's the same for both.

Like most purist, I do like the concept of true separates. I will most likely go with the 1570 or if the planets line up, the 1572. :W

Thanks again for the input.
        Regards,

ldgibson76
        My Setup
        The 2 Channel Within
        "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
        -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
        -Douglas Adams

Comment

• hurin
          • Sep 2009

The 1069 is identical to the 1570 except the former has HDMI 1.1 and the latter has 1.4. So unless you really need 1.4 it makes no sence to replace your 1069.
          The 1069 can still play HD sound as long as you set audio to PCM in the bluray setup menu.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

The RSP-1570 and RSP-1069 are not the same. There were quite a few changes in the analog stage and a different DSP chip in the RSP-1570 from the RSP-1069. I've listened to both back to back and the RSP-1570 is better and it's pretty easy to hear. The detail is more defined and the midrange is more transparent. The bass is similar but I did give the edge to the RSP-1570 there as well.

Eric

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"