X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WayneGrow
    • Apr 2008

RB-1072 Compared to other Icepower Dclass

Hi guys,

First time poster after lurking for a while.

I'm interested in people's opinions of this Icepower amp. RB-1072
    I'm looking to add it into my ht system to give my Dynaudio mains (86db,4ohms) a bit more grunt.
    As opposed to the other small icepower amps on the market eg. d-sonics,
    bel canto, channel island audio, has anybody compared the RB-1072 to these guys.
    My understanding is that the modules come complete and really the only
    thing to it is adding a quality power supply and bits and pieces to the chassis.
    It's obviously more technical than that, but have Rotel crossed all of the T's
    in the construction area.
    There are very few reviews on the net about the 1072 and I'm just looking
    for owner's opinions re. construction, reliability and sound quality in comparison to the others mentioned.
    In Oz this thing retails for $ 1199, a RB-1080 about $ 1500.

WayneGrow
    Brisbane , Australia
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I've got no RB-1072 experience, but I'm very happy with my 1077. The 1072 uses newer (some say improved) modules (there are other threads on this). Apparently, Rotel 'tunes' the modules to their own taste, but otherwise they're standard. Build quality is very good. D class amps are excellent with low(er) impeadance speakers.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• cug
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mjb
      I've got no RB-1072 experience, but I'm very happy with my 1077. The 1072 uses newer (some say improved) modules (there are other threads on this). Apparently, Rotel 'tunes' the modules to their own taste, but otherwise they're standard. Build quality is very good. D class amps are excellent with low(er) impeadance speakers.
      And the RB-1072 is a very excellent value. It compares very well to the RB-1080 because of the "impedance tracking" abilities of the ICEPower modules.

I also love the 250W modules because I think that's the best compromise for my 804S but I couldn't find a nice integrated with these modules. So I got a Musical Fidelity A5 which also has 250W and a similar smooth, but very controlled sound.

Comment

• WayneGrow
        • Apr 2008

Thanks for your responses

The Icepower modules that it uses seem to be the 200ASC models.
        As far as power amps go they seem to be also used in the following:

Bel Canto e.OneS300  
        D-SONIC MAGNUM 200S
        PS Audio Trio A-100
        Channel Islands audio D-100

In Australia, the Rotel is $ 1199 , so probably could get it about 15% off
        or just under a grand. The others are dearer for me to acquire even though we are nearly at parity with the US dollar.

If there is no real benefit in dropping the Rotel for one of the others then the Rotel it is.

Ideally the new RMB-1085 would be a better bet for me, but it's not being sold at all outside of the US.

If anybody has the inside word from Rotel that this thing will be in Australia shortly then I'd probably hold off as it's a damn sight cheaper than the 1077.

Anybody have any word on if and when the 1085 will be sold in Asia.

Ta

WayneGrow

Comment

• Carrotman
          • Mar 2008

FYI, the Channel Islands amp uses a Hypex UCD180-module with a conventional power supply. You're right about the others using the ICEpower200ASC.

/U.

Comment

• WayneGrow
            • Apr 2008

Carrotman, Thanks for the correction.

The more I mull over this the more my brain starts turning to jelly.
            D-Class overload.

None of the other D-class amps are supported by local distributors
            except the Bel Canto's which are about $ 900 dearer.
            It's a bit of a risk importing these things.

As there is no RMB-1085 in sight, I guess the RB-1072 will be it.
            Gonna order one tomorrow.

Leaves me with a bit of extra cash to shout myself a nice interconnect from my Harman Kardon to the Rotel. I use a Nordost Blue Heaven from
            Nad cd to HK and it is really nice and detailed. Might buy another though they are a bit exxxy !!! Any other suggestions for a pre to power rca cable.?

WayneGrow

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Great cable for the $$

Comment

• Ferres
                • Jan 2007

I find rca cables are more revealing between the amp and pre-amp. From the CD/player side, when it reaches a certain quality level they start to sound the same.

Comment

• Mikael
                  • Aug 2007

Hi Waynegrow

Did you get your RB 1072 or? and if so how do you like it?

I tried it out a while back and at first I loved it and later I thought the treble was a bit to grainy and had some S sound to it,so I put it away.I have tried it again and I just love it,no grainy treble at all.I have traded my old RB 1090 in with the RB 1072.The latter have a much better and musical sound to my ears.
                  I am going to try out a set of B&W's 683 at home with it,and see how good a match that is.

Comment

• WayneGrow
                    • Apr 2008

Mikael,

No purchases as yet. Because my front end is just a HK receiver
                    and I'm more and more listening to 2 channel, I've been contemplating
                    a nice integrated, something like a Cyrus 8vs2 or maybe a boutique
                    chinese job like a Consonance Reference 150 Linear. Mind you ,they are twice as dear as the little Rotel RB-1072.

I'm like this about everything I buy, I sit back and watch what the market does and I look and study on the net. I take so bloody long that the model I'm about to buy runs out and a new one comes out. A couple of years ago I was looking at a Sanyo Z2 projector to buy. It took me until the Z4 came out until I was ready to buy. It frustrates my wife whos a buy now type.

I might try and overcome this disease on the weekend with an impulsive
                    1072 purchase. See I've changed my mind again !!!!

Wayne

Comment

• Mikael
                      • Aug 2007

Wayne

It is a good idea to take your time to decide,what to buy.I tried the RB 1072 two times before I bought it.I had planned to wait for a 200 watts ICE Power amp from Rotel,but it don't seem to be happening any time soon,so went for the RB 1072.I had also planned to wait for a new 7 series or bigger CM models from B&W but nobody knows if or when we can something like that,so again I will try something else,a set of 683.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

• Jakenz
                        • May 2008

Rotel RB-1072 & B&W 683 speakers

Mikael,

Just wondering if you've tried the B&W 683's with your 1072 as yet?

If so how did you find the combination?

I'm asking as I'm looking seriously at this combo (or potentially the RMB-1085 - which is shortly to arrive here in NZ) but alas they have different distributors?

Jake

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by WayneGrow
                          Hi guys,

First time poster after lurking for a while.

I'm interested in people's opinions of this Icepower amp. RB-1072
                          I'm looking to add it into my ht system to give my Dynaudio mains (86db,4ohms) a bit more grunt.
                          As opposed to the other small icepower amps on the market eg. d-sonics,
                          bel canto, channel island audio, has anybody compared the RB-1072 to these guys.
                          My understanding is that the modules come complete and really the only
                          thing to it is adding a quality power supply and bits and pieces to the chassis.
                          It's obviously more technical than that, but have Rotel crossed all of the T's
                          in the construction area.
                          There are very few reviews on the net about the 1072 and I'm just looking
                          for owner's opinions re. construction, reliability and sound quality in comparison to the others mentioned.
                          In Oz this thing retails for $ 1199, a RB-1080 about $ 1500.

WayneGrow
                          Brisbane , Australia
                          I may be the odd-man-out , but , for $300 I'd go with the RB-1080. An absolute BEAST of an amp. Better yet , try to find a used RB-1090. I'm not a fan of the ICE amps. In fairness , I didn't like the B&O "house sound" in 1984 either.
                          Anyway , a RB-1080 will grab those speakers by the short and curlies , and make them behave. @86 db into 4 ohms , you need lots of current. The ICE amp may sound harsh. Try to audition them both with your speakers. I know that gets said a lot , but , it's your money. If you're not happy , who gives a shit what amps you have?
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• metallo
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                            I may be the odd-man-out , but , for $300 I'd go with the RB-1080. An absolute BEAST of an amp. Better yet , try to find a used RB-1090. I'm not a fan of the ICE amps. In fairness , I didn't like the B&O "house sound" in 1984 either.
                            Anyway , a RB-1080 will grab those speakers by the short and curlies , and make them behave. @86 db into 4 ohms , you need lots of current. The ICE amp may sound harsh. Try to audition them both with your speakers. I know that gets said a lot , but , it's your money. If you're not happy , who gives a shit what amps you have?
                            No offense but i think you probably havent listened to any ICE amp personally? Using products from 1984 as a negative argument...

First, im only speaking from my own experience with Rotel RB-1092 (which is the only class-D ive listened to). I have compared this amplifier with serveral other amplifiers in my home (such as vincent monoblock sp-998,rotel BX990,denon POA2800 and sunfire 300), speakers was Infinity Renaissance 90 (87dB/4ohm/recomended effect 400watts).

The result from my comparisons is that the rb1092 sound much smoother at the top, have more punch and sounds more natural/transparent (the opposit from what you can read from older class-d amps). And when turning it up a bit the rotel BX990, denon poa2800 and vincent sp998 goes down on it knees and starts to sound harsh with an uncontrolled bass. The Rotel RB1092 (and sunfire 300) just gets louder and clearer, much more control and better bass handling.

I have also compared my RB1092 against RB1090 at a friends house with a pair of von schweikert 4 something with the same result. I honestly think that RB1092 sounds better then RB1090 with more punch and clearer sound. Not a big difference, 2 persons prefered RB1092 and 1 person prefered RB1090, both are very nice amps!

Give the ice amps a chance and compare yourself and maybe you will find the same result as i did.

/Daniel

Comment

• Mikael
                              • Aug 2007

I am going to try out the RB 1072 and B&W 683 combo this weekend,I will be getting the speakers tonight.I'll get back with a report as soon as I have heard them.

I got my RB 1072 today.I stil got the one that I lend from the dealer.that one is going back monday.I will do the test with the "old" RB 1072,so I'll get the right sound from the amp and speakers,they are both burned in.

Comment

• miner
                                • Mar 2005

I have had my RB-1092 since it was released and I am one who likes to upgrade often. I haven't been able to find an upgrade that is worth the extra outlay of cash for what little audible improvement there was. I have lsitened/compared to Mac, Classe', Krell, BAT, Bel Canto and Parasound. I'll keep my Rotel for now.

Comment

• Warpdrv1
                                  • Dec 2006

I took the leap with a D-Sonic 2000-5 IcePower amp using the 1000ASP modules, paired up with my Paradigm Sig S4's and C3.... 525w for the front 3 and 250w for the rear 2 channels, which doubles at 4ohms...

I have to say that this amp sounds phenomenal, and has really brought my system to life... It pretty much runs idle most of the time with those wattage ratings, but certainly has tons and tons of headroom... I'm really thrilled with the results of adding this amp into the mix... Extremely Dynamic and powerful.

I have yet to A/B it against my Rotel 1095 that pushes my Studio 100 system but I will be getting to that soon enough....

For the price compared to buying Bel Canto, PS Audio, Jeff Roland using the same exact modules, its a great amp although minimalistic in the looks dept, I have all my equipment tucked neatly downstairs in the basement, so it works for me... Color me thrilled with Icepower modules.

The 1000ASP modules have been stated to have the best sound out of all the prior and smaller powered units...

Good luck on your hunt...

Comment

• len73
                                    • Jan 2005

Hi There !

Maybe off-topic, but as the new 15 series is comming, and wanting to upgrade my current system, I wanted to now if it makes sens to mix high-current poweramp with class D one ?

In clear, I currenlty drive 5.0 Monitor Audio Gold Series through a RMB-1075. I plan to add two more channels (new house and dedicated room !!), so I need a second amp (stereo). I planned to get the RB-1072 for the front (GS-20) and drive the center and all backs with the 1075.

Does this sound good to you or should I preferably stay to high-current poweramp or, event better (??) sell the 1075 and go for the 1077 to drive all channel equally on a class D basis ?

Thank you for your advice !

len
                                    Last edited by len73; 16 September 2008, 04:22 Tuesday.

Comment

• mjb
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I wouldn't mix the amps, especially across the front three. Your best best is probably to go for the 1077.
                                      - Mike

Main System:
                                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Mig17
                                        • Jan 2008

I have Rotel 1080 driving Dynaudio Audience 52 with exellent result
                                        The new 1077 and 1072 is very attractive in compact size
                                        When my traditional Rotel die I certainly go for it

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"