X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

RB1072 + tube preamp = ?? :)

Does anyone here use this combo? I am thinking of trying a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE tube preamp with the RB1072 on my soon-to-be-mine Zu Druids. I am hoping that the combo will be a perfect match.....but of course only listening will tell that.

I just picked up an Onix SP3 tube integrated for the time being....it makes my B&W M-1s sing for sure. So I will have at least something to compare too.

Any thoughts? Discuss.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I use a Carver C-19 tube pre with Sovtek tubes, Rotel 980BX amps, and my DIY Natalie P’s designed by Jon Marsh. I had previously been using my RSP-1066 for pre duties, and though it is not known for excelling at two ch music, it did a fair job. When I added the Carver for handling the analog out from my CA 640C v1, it transformed my entire system. The only way I can describe it is to say that an ‘edge’ was removed. Music seemed much more natural and realistic. I typically listen at 80 to 95 db, and as volume is increased, the music doesn’t get louder, it gets more dynamic. I also noticed a reduction in listening fatigue after long (4 - 5 hr) sessions.

I would highly recommend auditioning a tube pre with systems that have bright or edgy synergy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wkhanna; 16 April 2007, 07:03 Monday. Reason: CDp is used analog out to pre, not digital
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"