X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roteller
    • Nov 2007

Help..Right channel blown

Anyone know how difficult it is to check for a blown fuse on a RB 1090. I have sound in left channel and extreamly low sound comming out of the right...you have to put your ear to the speaker to hear anything. checked all cables, swaped speaker wires etc. My amp came with 2 small fuses in the bag with the manual, could this be for such an occasion? Can it be changed yourself or do I have to take it to the dealer? Thanks
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Just verify it's the amp. Move speaker wires and make sure the issue moves. Move RCA's and make sure the the issue doesn't move.

I haven't done a 1090, but the 1080 is pretty easy to check. The included fuses are for the power supply spots on the back I think. Just check those, then pop the cover and look for fuses. The fact that it plays but a low volume, lets me think it might be a pre-amp or cable problem.

Kevin D.

Comment

• NMG
      • Oct 2004

I tend to agree with Kevin. If the fuse was blown, I'm not sure you would get any sound from that channel. I blew the fuse on the left channel for my RB-1080 and I had no sound whatsoever from that channel. For what it's worth, it was a very simple fix. I just had to pop the cover and replace the fuses. They were easy to locate, pull and replace. I'm not sure if the RB-1090 would be as simple or not.

Comment

• DL86
        • Sep 2005

I opened up my rb-1090 the other day. There are 4 x 10 amp rated at 250V fuses inside located on two seperate pcb's i assume for left and right channels I live in Australia so the fuse rating might be different depending on where you live.

You would have to unscrew the top plate to gain access to them after you have removed the enclosure. It seems very simple to replace just see if the fuse is blown first if so take it out and find a replacement for it. No harm in opening up your amp just a lot of screws make sure you don't loose them. If this thread was opened earlier I would have taken pictures of if it to show you.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

If only one of the two fuses are blown you will get very low audio output. It does sound to me like that is what happened. Do as Kevin suggested just to verify though.

Eric

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Be sure to ground yourself; especially in the winter air - lots of static.

Comment

• windshear
              • Dec 2004

Make sure you unplug the amp from the electrical mains before opening anything..........

Comment

• Roteller
                • Nov 2007

Bad Very Bad

First off, thanks for all the suggestions. This is where things get a little strange. A little while back I took my amp to an authorized dealer to have a faceplate replaced approx 7 weeks ago. After bringing home the amp I decided it was time to give the HT Room a little facelift (fresh paint, new carpet etc..) So the entire setup was dismantled until the room was completed. So finally I decided to put the system back together. This whole time the amp that I had brought home from the dealer had never been out of the box. So after firing everything up I stick in a cd and only one channel giving me sound. So I go through the cable swaping, problem still there. After swaping the speaker cables the problem jumped over to the other speaker which made me think right away that it was the amp. So thats when I opened it up looked at the fuses they were all fine. Get the amp back in the rack hook it all back up and..........hold on to your hats......both L.E.D lights lit up for about 3 seconds went out and then that smell, that smell you NEVER want to smell comming from electronic equipment, especially your home audio eqipment....something burning inside 8O . So I pulled the main plug out of my RLC 1040 as fast as possible and just starred at the amp in total shock!!!! Today I took it right back to the dealer and explained to them what happened and asked them if there was any possible way that the technician that worked on the faceplate could have somehow goofed up when repairing the faceplate. He assured me that they would look into it. But you want to talk about being pissed off. I bit my tounge during the entire time I was talking to this guy. I am so worried about how much damage was caused during that few seconds before the amp finally shut completely down.

Well thats my horror story for the week. I hope the hell nobody ever experiences what I just did. Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep you all posted on the final damage when I find out, both physical and financial.

Comment

• Roteller
                  • Nov 2007

Well I got my RB 1090 back today, hooked it up and sounds just as good as the day I bought it. The problem turned out to be a soft turn on switch or board, not quite sure what that is, but it cost 150.00 to replace. Dealer could't really explain what happened or why it happened just that it did happen. Anyway I'm happy to be back up and running. Thought I would let everyone know what the problem ended up being. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem or even heard of this problem happening? Take care everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"