X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cug
    • Jan 2008

RA-1062 vs. RC-1082/RB-1072

Hi.

Last year we bought a RA-1062 integrated amplifier after comparing it (blind A/B) to a RC-1070/RB-1072 combo. We heard no difference with the B&W 804S speakers.

We heard now, that this might have had two reasons:

- listening volume was not so high (test room was quite small)
    - the RC-1070 is not that good a pre

A sales rep told me in a little bit of small talk (no sales talk) that he did the comparison with the bigger Rotel pre the RC-1082 and the difference was very well audible.

So, personally I think the RA-1062 is great little amplifier, but if we think of upgrading (and for the sake of staying with the same style, staying with Rotel), what combination would make sense for driving 804S? RC-1082/RB-1080? Or the "D" class RB1072? Or the RB1092?

But if we do that, we could ditch the harmonic look and evaluate a Bryston integrated "reference class" amp, that might deliver an even better sound for the same price or less ...

What I'm most interested in:

Did someone here do listening tests with the different Rotel separates compared to the RA-1062 integrated? Any conclusions?

And I'm not talking about power, just sound with moderate volume. The 60W should be good enough for our room as long as it is delivered without distortion.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Nigel.

Comment

• cug
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by bigburner
      Thanks for the hint - haven't seen that thread. Don't know what I will do in the end. Might even stay with the RA-1062 or tend to the other extreme and get Classé ... Freaky ...

Comment

• lvhung
        • Jun 2005

for me more power more detailes, seperated power always sound more impressive

Comment

• cug
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lvhung
          for me more power more detailes, seperated power always sound more impressive
          That's marketing talk - a good integrated will beat any cheap separate combo hands down. It all has to do what you can do for a given price. Two enclosures, two power supplies, and so on cost money. So a good integrated for the same price as separates from the same manufacturer will probably sound better.

Comment

• radiohead
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cug
            Hi.

Last year we bought a RA-1062 integrated amplifier after comparing it (blind A/B) to a RC-1070/RB-1072 combo. We heard no difference with the B&W 804S speakers.

We heard now, that this might have had two reasons:

- listening volume was not so high (test room was quite small)
            - the RC-1070 is not that good a pre

A sales rep told me in a little bit of small talk (no sales talk) that he did the comparison with the bigger Rotel pre the RC-1082 and the difference was very well audible.

So, personally I think the RA-1062 is great little amplifier, but if we think of upgrading (and for the sake of staying with the same style, staying with Rotel), what combination would make sense for driving 804S? RC-1082/RB-1080? Or the "D" class RB1072? Or the RB1092?

But if we do that, we could ditch the harmonic look and evaluate a Bryston integrated "reference class" amp, that might deliver an even better sound for the same price or less ...

What I'm most interested in:

Did someone here do listening tests with the different Rotel separates compared to the RA-1062 integrated? Any conclusions?

And I'm not talking about power, just sound with moderate volume. The 60W should be good enough for our room as long as it is delivered without distortion.
            I own a Rotel RA 1062. Has anyone tried using the 1062 as a pre-amp, hooked to a more powerful power amp like the RB 1080? would there be a significant improvement in terms of sound quality and detail? TIA.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"