X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

another issue with RDV 1060

My code free RDV 1060 is slightly over 40 months old and it's been repaired once for some faulty drive etc... The loading time has been really slow since I got the player back, but I could live with it.

The PAL/NTSC switch at the back of the unit was always set to NTSC after I extensively tested the picture quality for Code 1 and Code 2 DVDs in my collection. I used to live in the States therefore amassed some DVDs in Code 1, later in Europe which led to DVDs in Code 2.

Yesterday I felt like watching Lucky Number Slevin one more time and I own that DVD in Code 2. I started the movie and noticed that the picture quality was really terrible. I was forced to halt the movie and started testing all the settings. When I set the PAL/NTSC switch to PAL, the picture quality of Code 2 DVDs is back to normal. For Code 1 DVDs I have to set it back to NTSC... something is broken AGAIN and the warranty has expired of course as well...

Guys, which players come with a 10y warranty these days? :twisted:
  • TYR
    • Jun 2007

Have you recently switched to progressive scan mode?
    Both PAL and NTSC look god in interlaced mode with the RDV-1060's switch in the NTSC position, but in progressive mode you must put the switch in the correct position for the disc you are watching.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your player.
    Regards
    Hendrik

Comment

• fordster
      • Feb 2005

Sorry to hear you are having more problems. My 1060 is set to NTSC as if I play a region 1 disc with it set to PAL it's awful but region 2 discs seem fine converted to NTSC. Why they can't do an auto output like other players is beyond me!

Interestingly though I have my progressive scan set to on and this doesn't seem to be a problem. As it is connected to an LCD TV which deinterlaces anyway I might try turning off the progressive scan to see if it makes any difference.

Hope you get it sorted out. As for which players come with 10 year warranties.... None that I know of but I've got an old Pioneer DV535 that is still going strong after 6 or 7 years. Having said that it doesn't get heavy use these days as it used to be my main player but was relegated to a bedroom player 5 years ago. That said it has outlasted a Denon 2800 and never needed repairing (unlike my RDV-1060 - twice). I've probably cursed it now and it'll blow up the next time I use it!
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"