Rotel 1060 Video connection with 1098/Plasma.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • >>Angel<<
    • Jan 2006

Rotel 1060 Video connection with 1098/Plasma.

Dear Rotel enthousiasts,

Yesterday I bought a Pioneer plasma screen to complete my Rotel setup
    After concluding all the (required) connections I found out that there's a problem displaying (progressive or not) an 1060 image on the Plasma screen.
    I really hope you guys can help me out with this annoying problem

The equipment setup:

DVD-1060
    RSP-1098
    RMB-1075
    XBOX360
    PDP-506XDE (Pioneer Plasma)

The (Video) connections:

XBOX > 1098
    Component Video Out> Component Video In (input 3)

1060 > 1098
    Component Video Out> Component Video In (input 1)
    Composite Video Out > Composite Video In (input 1) - use of TFT screen 1098

1098 > Plasma
    Component Video (monitor) Out > Component Video in (only one input available)

The equipment Menu settings:

XBOX: HDTV (720p) Out
    1060: Progressive Scan On & Component Video Out
    1098: Progressive V1 & V3 On
    Plasma: Component Video On

The equipment hardware settings:

1060: Switch on backpanel set to PAL

When I activate the XBOX and select the 1098 input number 3, the plasma screen nicely displays the 720p image. In other words the connections are ok . When I activate the 1060 and select the 1098 input number 1, the plasma show the Rotel logo for 1 sec and then it dissapears again for 1 sec, and it comes again for 1 sec..etc. The 1098's TFT screen on the other hand nicely displays the Rotel logo (in color). There's no difference in the (Plasma display) result whatever the settings of the 1060 are: Progressive or Non-Progressive

In my previous configuration the 1060 image was nicely displayed on the CRT screen using the RGB SCART connection...it only was Black and White :cry:

I really tried everthing to solve the current problem: e.g. setting the 1060 to Non-progressive, 1098 to Non Progressive, 1060 factory reset....nothing seemed to help. The only setting I didn't try is to hard switch the 1060 to NTSC on the backpanel. I don't think this will have any influence on the desired result, right?

Guys, I really hope you can help me out with the 1098's TFT display during Progressive playback of the 1060 & the most important issue: how to get the 1060 to (consistently) display on my Plasma screen (progressive or not).

Thanx in advance for your help!

Regards,
    Angelo
    *RSP-1098*RMB-1075*RT-1080*Mission M5 series*Marantz DV-9600*Samsung LE52-F96*
  • Marcel B
    • Nov 2004

1. I've never seen a Rotel logo from the 1098 , so I think that comes from the 1060
    2. Connect the 1060 directly to the screen, then you can find out if that's the problem
    3. repeat step 2 with the other component cable (the one that is now connected between 1060 and 1098
    4. disconnect the composite cable, maybe that's causing some interference in the 1098

I think you should start with step 4. If it works alright after that you can't use the screen on the 1098

Marcel B

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

A couple of things.

1) Make sure you have set the 1060 to component instead of SCART.
      2) Progressive is only available when the 1060 is switched to NTSC and only activated when a NTSC disc is inserted. PAL disc are always 480i.
      3) If you leave the switch to PAL, try setting the 1098 to PAL output.
      4) Like Marcel said, go directly to the plasma with the 1060 and figure out exactly how it works, then go through the 1098 and see what changes.

Kevin D.

Comment

• >>Angel<<
        • Jan 2006

Thanx guys for your quick response!

Marcel, the indicated Rotel logo is, as you reckoned, coming from the 1060.

2. Connecting the 1060 directly to the screen is a bit of a problem due to the fact that I can't easily get to the backside of the equipment, for this I have to disconnect (and move) the plasmascreen..not a pleasant action

3. Using the other Component Cables is also a bit of a problem, see 2.

4. I already disconnected the composite cable...same result

Kevin:

1. The 1060 has been set to Component Video out.
        2. I live in Europe (The Netherlands), and therefore have to use the PAL setting on my equipment (576i instead of 480i). Are you sure that progressive scan can not be used on European Rotel equipment that are set to PAL?
        The owner manual doesn't mention anything about PAL progressive scan restrictions.
        3. The 1098 was already been set to PAL

Thanx for your help, I will try to perform some cable shifting

Regards,
        Angelo

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by >>Angel<<
          2. I live in Europe (The Netherlands), and therefore have to use the PAL setting on my equipment (576i instead of 480i). Are you sure that progressive scan can not be used on European Rotel equipment that are set to PAL?
          The owner manual doesn't mention anything about PAL progressive scan restrictions.
          I'm not postitive, but according to page 18 in the manual on Rotel's website:
          Progressive Scan (NTSC only) Images appear on a TV monitor by rapidly displaying a series of horizontal scan lines. The conventional method for displaying these lines is interlaced scanning. Half of the horizontal lines are displayed followed by the other half, the two groups visually merging to form
          a single video image. Interlaced scanning is always used in the PAL video standard and has been the standard for all analog NTSC video in a format referred to as 480i.

HDTV-ready digital TVs are capable of displaying a larger number of scan lines than offered by standard 480i signals. To take advantage of HDTV monitors, the RDV-1060 offers progressive scanning which uses advanced digital
          interpolation to combine two frames of standard interlaced video into a 480p signal with 480 lines displayed at one time for a flickerfree, high-density picture.

To enjoy progressive scanned video, your TV monitor must be an NTSC HDTV digital monitor and you must connect the DVD output to the TV with Component Video cables to an input that accepts 480p signals.

NOTE: The Progressive Scan feature only works with NTSC HDTV monitors. The feature is only available when the NTSC/PAL switch on the rear-panel is set to the NTSC position. A disc encoded with PAL standard video will always
          be played with standard interlaced video, regardless of the Progressive Scan feature.
          Kevin D.

Comment

• >>Angel<<
            • Jan 2006

Thanx Kevin for your reply.

The section you provided from the 1060's owner manual is not present in the manual I have

Regards,
            Angelo

Comment

• Vicente
              • May 2004

Angel, don't worry about progressive for PAL. As you say, you live in Europe and the 1060's in Europe do have progresive scan for PAL. I have a 1060 in Spain and I use it with a Pioneer 435XDE and it works perfectly in progresive.
              I have the 1060 connected directly to the media receiver thru components so I don't know exactly about your problem with the TV, but as I guess you have selected in the plasma menu "input2:component", why don't you try other options in 1098 (not only 1098: Progressive V1 & V3 On).

Maybe someone more experienced can give you a better input and I hope you can fully enjoy your new 1060.

Regards

Comment

• >>Angel<<
                • Jan 2006

Vicente,

Thanx for your reaction also.

The reason I hooked up the XBOX and the 1060 to the 1098 is the fact that 1. I want to use the progressive scan function of the equipment 2. The plasma media receiver only has one Component Video input.

Looking at the situation I can only come to the following conclusions:
                1- The (input 1 and/or 3) videoboard on the 1098 is defective
                2- (one of) the component cables from the 1060 to the 1098 is/are defective
                3- I missed out some required software settings on the used equipment, e.g. 1098

What I did found out, after close investigation, is that the XBOX picture on the plasma screen is not that perfect either. Dark colors on a relatively light background result in a shadow, which spreads out to the right side, for that part of the image. Looking at this I really think the problem lies with the Videoboards of the 1098.

I think I will take the following actions:
                1- bring back the DVD player to the retailer and buy one with a HDMI connection which is also capable of displaying an image simuntaneously through composite video and HDMI > using the TFT display of the 1098
                2- connect the xbox directly to the media reveiver > Component video
                3- connect the DVD player directly to the media receiver > HDMI
                4- Sell my MIT Component Video Cables;-)
                5- Don't let the defective videoboard of the 1098 be repaired, too much of a hassle & I won't be using it any more;-)

Do you know when the successor of the 1060 (read: 1092) will be available? Maybe a good alternative;-)

Angelo

Comment

• Vicente
                  • May 2004

I´m waiting too for the new 1092, that someone said it will be launched pretty soon, but if it costs what is being said, I´ll have to think it twice before buying it.

There are now already a lot of DVD players with better picture quality that the 1060, that play all kind of media (DVD Audio, SACD, DVD-R/RW, DIV-x....), with HDMI output and upscaling to 1080i for a mere 350 Dollars/Euros.

Sure they will not reproduce CD's with the same quality, but the DVD scenary will change very soon with the HD-DVD/Blue Ray discs and expending so much money in the 1092 is crazy IMHO.

The only thing I'll regret is that I won't get the cool faceplate the Rotels have.

Or maybe the new Rotel is the bomb and so good that we will forget about the price. Who knows?.

Please Rotel tell us something about your new DVD player or many people can change to another brand.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Vicente
                    Please Rotel tell us something about your new DVD player or many people can change to another brand.
                    Latest word is second quarter this year for the RDV-1092 and RVE-1070 scaler.

Kevin D.

Comment

• >>Angel<<
                      • Jan 2006

Thanx guys,

A shame that it will take another couple of months for the 1092 to be available, I really need one on a very short notice

Aside the 1092, do you know a good dvd player that has a HDMI (incl. progressive scan, 720/1080 capabilities)& composite connection and is able to send out a complete video signal through both outputs at the same time?
                      With a max. of 2000 Euro/Dollar? And the wife wants is to be silver :W

Regards,
                      Angelo

Comment

• DL86
                        • Sep 2005

Give the Marantz dv9500 a go.

Comment

• Vicente
                          • May 2004

I agree with you with Marantz. When I told you about the cheap DVD players I was thinking in the Marantz 6600. (about 350-400 Euros and full of features).

Probably not too many differences in picture quality with the 9600 but I don't know about musicality.

If someone has compared both one versus the other or anyone of them with Rotel dvd's please give us your opinion.

I know this is a Rotel Forum, and I love Rotel but we have to know how it compares with its competitors and in my opinion they are starting loosing buyers because of the delay in adding the latest technologies to their units, specialy in the video field that is changing so fast.

Having to wait to mid year to something that other companies provided already some months ago at a ridiculous price (compared to Rotel), and that probably will be soon outdated, says nothing good about the Rotel development department.

I work in the automovile world and if you don't have the latest technologies and designs you loose customers, and a customer is very easy to loose and very difficult to recover.

And same or more applies for electronics.

Comment

• >>Angel<<
                            • Jan 2006

Thx for the advice, I ordered the 9600;-)

Just to make sure:

When I connect the DVD player using the HDMI connection to the plasma screen I can enable progressive scan, right? I mean that you normally must use the component video connection in order to make use of this functionality, this type of connection is relative new to me. Another thing is the sound: can I disable the sound activation through HDMI in order to make use of the conventional Coax connection to the 1098? Do you know if this player is able to display images through both the HDMI and composite video connections simutaniously?

Can anybody also indicate what HDMI cable I should use to set this up with my 1098? Are there differences in quality?

Thx in advance.
                            Angelo

Comment

• Marcel B
                              • Nov 2004

On www.hifi.nl I saw a comparison of some HDMI cables (in dutch)

Marcel B

Comment

• >>Angel<<
                                • Jan 2006

Ok, I just found out that the problem lies within the 1098; both the component video connections 1&3 deliver a poor video quality output :M

Just to give you a taste of my experience of Rotel equipment the last 6 months:

- Bought a 1068 which was defective from the moment I connected it: loose connections. Also the remote control was defective: lights did not work.
                                - Also bought a 1060; was defective out of the box; DVD tray was not working properly.
                                - 2nd 1068 was giving popping sounds through the speakers and eventually ended up dead
                                - 2nd 1060 constantly stopped playing during a movie playback
                                - Got a 1098 as a replacement for the 1060; this one now has some defective video boards
                                - Remote control of the 1098 did not respond correctly...still waiting for a replacement

The good side though is the fact that the 1075 worked correctly from day one ever since;-)

I was wondering if I am the only one experiencing these issue with Rotel equipment.

Regrds,
                                Angelo

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

You will find issues with Rotel equipment here, but we do get a lot of people who just come here with problems. So to what extent the problems are is unclear.

For some reason though, it seems most people with a problem have recurring problems!

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
                                    • Jan 2005

Angleo,

I know this doesnt help you, but I've never had a problem with the 6 pieces of Rotel equipment I purchased. My understanding is that some shipping companies are *very* hard on the packages they ship. I did have a speaker get damaged in shipping. Perhaps the problem isn't Rotel, but the shipping company? Again, I know this doesn't FIX your problem, but, I'd be very uncomfortable with the equipment I purchased if I'd had your luck. If it turns out to be the shipping company, at least that can restore some confidence in your Rotel gear.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"