X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goe2112
    • Feb 2005

Can a LCD TV display both NTSC and PAL

My question is, can a LCD TV display both NTSC and PAL signals if the signals are originating from a multiformat ( multi region ) DVD player ? Does the TV require a special tuner that converts both signals ?

Thank you for input and time.

Joe
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Hello Joe,

What multi-format player are you using? I'm looking for multi-format player also. When I used a LG multi-format player on a rear projection HDTV (Toshiba 57' HDX????) no issues. But the LG was a piece of #*@%. We now have Sony's HDTV XBR2. This question is now very interestingggggggg.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by goe2112
      My question is, can a LCD TV display both NTSC and PAL signals if the signals are originating from a multiformat ( multi region ) DVD player ? Does the TV require a special tuner that converts both signals ?

Thank you for input and time.

Joe
      if the universal player is outputting 720p or 1080i / p at frame rates the tv can handle then it is no problem

if for some reason you want to watch standard def then you have a problem of needing a screen that can display at both 480p/60 and 540p/50

none of the big names offer this in their screens intended for the us

but some import such models for such purpose but you'd really have to track a merchant down in a city like NY where there is demand

the logical choice is obviously getting a player that can convert pal to a usable frame rate which i believe most do when converting to HD resolutions

edit- just saw you are in Switzerland

will update response when i get more time

Comment

• goe2112
        • Feb 2005

Added info: Currently I have a 10 year old Samsung multisystem TV, which can be display both NTSC and Pal TV signals due to the tuner and also video signals from multisystem DVD player. I'm assuming that I have about another year or two before it goes tits up. When this happens I'll be in the market for a new LCD TV.

Can a LCD TV display both format signals if the signal comes from a multisystem DVD player, not TV signals that require a tuner ? Does the signal path go through the tuner or does it bypass the tuner ? For example If I hooked up a multisystem dvd player to a stateside LCD TV ( video inputs ) and played a PAL DVD would it display the program ?

I have a LCD computer monitor and I'm able to watch both NTSC and PAL DVD's through my computer with the help of DVD Fab software, but this is a computer monitor not a TV. So can a LCD TV act as a monitor like my computer monitor if the signal is routed through the video or HDMI inputs ?

I hope I explained my question correctly and appreciate your time in replying.

Joe

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by goe2112
          Added info: Currently I have a 10 year old Samsung multisystem TV, which can be display both NTSC and Pal TV signals due to the tuner and also video signals from multisystem DVD player. I'm assuming that I have about another year or two before it goes tits up. When this happens I'll be in the market for a new LCD TV.

Can a LCD TV display both format signals if the signal comes from a multisystem DVD player, not TV signals that require a tuner ? Does the signal path go through the tuner or does it bypass the tuner ? For example If I hooked up a multisystem dvd player to a stateside LCD TV ( video inputs ) and played a PAL DVD would it display the program ?

I have a LCD computer monitor and I'm able to watch both NTSC and PAL DVD's through my computer with the help of DVD Fab software, but this is a computer monitor not a TV. So can a LCD TV act as a monitor like my computer monitor if the signal is routed through the video or HDMI inputs ?

I hope I explained my question correctly and appreciate your time in replying.

Joe
          here is a sony xbr as an example
          it is an international model i referred to previously

my understanding is as follows :
          it has ntsc and pal tuners built in
          and in turn its video processing can handle 50 (pal) frames per second @ 576 lines and 60 frames per second (ntsc) @480 lines
          so it will work with SD tv and dvds in any country

so yes it will work with your current dvd player
          but i dont think you would want to since any lcd is capable of looking much better- you will probably just go with blu-ray when the time comes

now what is not clear to me is what frame rate the HD contend displays at in Europe
          i will assume 24, 30 and 60 fps
          i dont know if EU (i know your not EU) hd consists of 720p/ 60 1080p/60 or uses the 50 frames per second- regardless i dont think it matters in your case but i am just curious. in my mind 60fps is more desirable as the last time i was in Switzerland (im a citizen) i noticed a flicker in all the tv sets (maybe my imagination) not to mention that 60fps correlates better with films 24fps

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"