X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Blu-ray Player and RSP-1098 Multi Channel Inputs

Hi Guys,
    I suspect the answer will be "No", but I would appreciate some confirmation. I recently purchased a Sony S300 Blu-Ray player. I have the 5.1 analogue outputs connected to the 7.1 multi-channel inputs on my RSP-1098. I use splitters to break the rear channels into the rear and side channels for the RSP-1098 inputs.

Ok, For some reason I don't understand, Sony has not put distance, levels or delay controls into the S300 Blu-ray player! All you can tell it is that you have 5.1 speakers connected to its analogue outputs. So, is there any way you can get the RSP-1098 to apply digital processing to the Multi channel inputs?

Its not a big deal as the LPCM 5.1 analogue output from the S300 (playing a blu-ray disk) sounds outstanding via the RSP-1098's multi-channel inputs.

Regards,
    Stephen
    My Home Theatre
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I don't believe you can...at least I cannot on my RSP-1068. Unfortunately, this is one of the limitations (all?) of the new HD players. I've got a Sony BDP-S1, which also lacks these settings. The only thing it provides is a fixed crossover (100Hz I believe) for bass management. This is useful to me, since I'm using monitors rather than floorstanders. Fortunately, my fronts and rears are symmetrical, and are about the same distance from my sweet spot.

However, as you say, the sound quality with Uncompressed PCM and Dolby TrueHD is so much better that I don't feeling I'm missing anything!
    Brad

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Unfortunately you're only going to get the same 100hz crossover (that's you can turn off). Though if you want to improve on that a bit, you can get some more equipment (used as both are discontinued).

The Outlaw ICBM provides advanced crossover control for all channels and the Parasound CSE 6.1 will take the stereo rear output of the player and give you a decoded 4 channel output for 7.1.

The CSE should really be better then splitting the 5.1 rears. I've seen them go for about $100 on Ebay. The ICBM is good if you need better crossover control. You could then add some line-level volume controls if you need volume adjustment.

Of course it might be cheaper to get a new Blu-ray player that had more control of the outputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• whmacs
        • Oct 2003

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. It's probably not worth worrying about. I have Jamo THX speakers all round that all have a hard 80Hz cut off. I watched 'Kung Fu Hussle' on blu-ray last night (first full movie since receiving the player) and I was very impressed with the sound quality. I didn't notice any major delay issues or cross over problems.

I'll probably follow your advice Kevin and hold onto this player for 18 months or so, then replace it with one that is more feature rich. Saying that, I can't complain about its audio or video quality.

I picked up the idea of splitting the rear channels on the forum here. Such a simple idea works very well. The splitter cables where only a couple of bucks at the local electronics store.

As you say Brad, uncompressed PCM absolutely rocks. I also have the S300 connected via coaxial to the RSP-1098 and can flick between the dolby digital and uncompressed PCM track (via the multi-channel inputs). Its like night and day. LPCM just opens up the whole sound stage and the room just comes alive.

Regards,
        Stephen
        My Home Theatre

Comment

• whmacs
          • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
          I posted the below almost a year ago. Overall, I've been very happy with the sound output from the BDP-S300. I now however plan to replace it with a Sony BDP-S550. This player has 7.1 analogue outs, distance settings and delays available for configuration.

I'm now trying to decide if I should connect all 7.1 channels from the S550 to the 7.1 inputs on my 1098 (I have a 7.2 speaker setup). Otherwise, I tell the S550 that I only have a 5.1 system and split the side channels and feed them into the sides and rear inputs on the 1098 (like I'm currently doing with the S300). My reasoning here is that a great number of Blu-ray disks are only 5.1. Using a 7.1 to 7.1 connect I will lose sound from the rear channels with a 5.1 blu-ray disk. Correct?

I would really appreciate peoples thoughts on the best way to proceed.

Regards,
          Stephen

Originally posted by whmacs
          Hi Guys,
          I suspect the answer will be "No", but I would appreciate some confirmation. I recently purchased a Sony S300 Blu-Ray player. I have the 5.1 analogue outputs connected to the 7.1 multi-channel inputs on my RSP-1098. I use splitters to break the rear channels into the rear and side channels for the RSP-1098 inputs.

Ok, For some reason I don't understand, Sony has not put distance, levels or delay controls into the S300 Blu-ray player! All you can tell it is that you have 5.1 speakers connected to its analogue outputs. So, is there any way you can get the RSP-1098 to apply digital processing to the Multi channel inputs?

Its not a big deal as the LPCM 5.1 analogue output from the S300 (playing a blu-ray disk) sounds outstanding via the RSP-1098's multi-channel inputs.

Regards,
          Stephen
          My Home Theatre

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"