X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dingaling2004
    • Jun 2007

Rotel RSP1068 and RMB-1077

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I am running the above gear at the moment and have it hooked up to 5 x 8 inch in-wall speakers. They sound OK, but I have purchased some new in walls for the new house (and a dedicated home theater). I don't know the efficiency of the speakers I have now, but I really do have to turn the volume up to between 85 and max to get higher SPL's from the speakers.

The replacement speakers have an efficiency of 91db, and I plan to run 7 speakers off the RMB-1077. My room is 7 metres long x 4.5 metres wide. Do you think the 1077 will be powerful enough, or do you think I may need to invest in a higher efficiency speaker system, such as the range from Klipsch. Anyone have any recommendations on in wall speakers with high efficiency?

Thanks

Greg
  • Ferres
    • Jan 2007

Is the 1077 new?

You could go into the 1068 controls and turn up the db's max 10.

Comment

• Dingaling2004
      • Jun 2007

Hi there Ferres,
      Thanks for the reply. On the 1068, are you talking about turning up the volume through the volume control or is there another means of doing this through the menus? The 1077 is only about 30 hours old, and I have read somewhere that they do take a while to work themselves in. That may be the cause.
      Cheers.
      Greg

Comment

• Ferres
        • Jan 2007

The rmb-1077 needs a week or so to work itself out. You'll notice there is hardly any descent bass coming out of it right now. In 3 to 4 days that will change.

You can go into the 1068 menu and go to 'test tone' and bring up the db to max. Note that test tone is not accessable in 'bypass' mode.

My current volume setting is '50' on my rsp-1068. I go up to '64' with movies and '56' for older CD's and movie soundtracks.

Cheers.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Turning the volume up in the test tone menu is only going to make the number lower, it's not going to give you more volume. Plus you will want to run an SPL meter when you get the new setup and set them correctly.

Right now, are you just running the two old in-walls, or multiple in-walls? If you are just running the two and the entire speaker is 5x8 inches, I think you're asking too much from a little speaker. It's probably a 4" mid-range in there that's just not going to have enough output no matter what wattage you send it. Plus if there isn't insulation behind them either, you're dumping a lot of wattage trying to produce bass with too large of air volume.

Two of my 1077's channels are running some large in-walls fine, and there's a guy on here who bought two 1077's to run seven sets of in-walls all over his house. You should be fine in the new house with the new in-walls.

Kevin D.

Comment

• BassThatHz
            • Jul 2006

Assuming your 1068 and RMB-1077 aren't broken, it should have enough power output to 7 speakers to hit annoyingly loud levels, way louder than any TV set i know of; in fact it could probably pump enough juice to rip a 4" mid range cone apart :W

You may have a wiring problem, in particular if your using 50ft+ of cheap, thin, old cable out of phase. If you have a multi-meter you could check the resistance of the cable and voicecoil to know for sure, if it is more than 16ohms combined you could have a potential problem.

It could also be your source, if it is not sending enough signal voltage to your 1068 then it will cause this effect, even if the rest of the system is perfectly normal. Some TV decoders and mass market tuners are known for this.

In a truly full range system most of the sound pressure is from the <80hz range, however the most audible is .5 to 3khz, in-walls in a room that big just aren't going to cover the low end job regardless of efficiency (btw 91db is enough). You may want to look into Velodyne's in-wall subwoofers if you need this will no visual impact.

Perhaps you’re not use to the lack of distortion. If before you had sound+noise and with the better system you have removed the noise, it will sound quieter as a result. For the most part a good system will sound live and real, not loud per se.

Comment

• Dingaling2004
              • Jun 2007

Thanks so much guys.
              Sorry for the delay in my reply...wife just had a little fella so home theater took a bit of a back seat (sorry!)

Really appreciate your input.

Regards,
              Greg

Comment

• Club1820
                • Jan 2006

Congrats!
                Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Dingaling2004
                  • Jun 2007

Thanks mate. Many a sleepness night is being enjoyed at this end.

Enjoy.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"