X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • obiwan
    • Jul 2005

RMB1077, DEQX and biamp fronts??

Hi guys, ages ago I said I was keen to get a DEQX(digital equaliser and xover) for my Dynaudio Special 25's. Well now I've done that and biamped them using (at the moment) my Rotel Michi 200Wper channel power amp to the bass drivers and 2 of the 3 channels on my ROtel 993 power amp for the tweeters. This sounds fantastic other than now I have no rears(as the amps for those are now going to the front tweeters) and I now have major buzzing/groud loop.

I can reduce the buzzing by plugging the amps into a distant outlet via extension cord.

But anyway, I'm not here to ask about the buzzing, I here to sort out what to do with power amps.

One option is to get 2 Bel Canto S300 stereo amps to biamp the mains and keep the Rotel 3 channel power amp for the centre and rears.

The other option is to get the RMB1077 and use four of the channels on that for biamping the mains and use the remaining 3 channels for the centre and rears. A nice small one box power amp solution.

But is this RMB1077 really up to the task, or would the Bel Canto's significantly smoke them.

Money is not an issue, either way will work out the same dollars, I just want what sounds the best. It would be nice to have a one box solution, but not the expense of sound.

Any thoughts?
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

obiwan,

I can't speak to the Bel Canto, but I have the 1077. It is currently bi-amping B&W N804's and an HTM1 (6 out of the seven channels). I used a different am for my rears and a second zone. The clarity, soundstage, bass and integration betweem the front three is outstanding. Everything is powered by the same amp. You might consider this approach, bi-amping the front three and using the 993 for the rears. That might be interesting. Of course, the 1077 as an all in one solution should work very nicely as well. One thing to consider is using amps from different makers. Right now you are using two Rotel amps. These should generally have the same 'sound'. Most likely the Bel Canto's, as good as they are, will have a different 'sound' than the Rotels. This may or may not be a good thing in the long run. If you could audition the two amps, this would be ideal.

As for the 1077 being capable, it run's my fronts with great results. I believe they would be able to drive the Dynaudio's. Don't let the 100 wpc fool you. It's can certainly deliver.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

The idea behind the 1077 is that you can run an entire 7.1 system with one amp that is small, runs cool, yet has the power to get the job done. And it does that very well. In my post, I mentioned our demo with a 1077 powering 803D, HTM2D, and 4 LCR8s. And it had no problem with that load....and it got LOUD and stayed clean and dynamic with no signs of stress.

Of course thats not the only way to use it.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"