X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

rmb1077 or sunfire cinema grand ?

I was ready to pick up a sunfire cinema grand 200x5,when i ran accross a rotel rmb1077 costing a little more than the sunfire.The rotel i know is only 100 x 7 but how would it compare to the wattage of the sunfire.Reason i ask is that there seems to be a raving about the 1077 even though it's only 100watts.Does the 1077 actually drive speakers better ?Could someone explain this to me,i'm not amp savee.Trying to see which would be the better amp.The low profile is also a big plus for me.thanks
  • Pez
    • May 2004

When it comes to watts its about quality vs quantity, more is not necessarily better. Best thing is listen to both amps if possible. I went from a 300 wpc amp to 100 wpc when I got the 1077 and havent looked back. I dont much about the Sunfire but I would stronly consider the 1077 before making a purchase. Search online reviews to help if you cant listen to both amps.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

pez pretty much summed it up. The RMB-1077 is a great sounding amp in its price range and handles most speakers very well. I haven't listened to a Sunfire amp in a long time, but I've always liked Rotel more. Try if you can to listen to them both and decide for yourself.

Eric

Comment

• triumph
        • Feb 2007

Okay I have the cin. grand and it indeed is a fine amp. I purchased it to match the sunfire processor 3 i have also. As i have said the combo is great, and i might add it's cool running. I do also have a 991 rotel 2 channel which i am also fond of. The choice is yours. You can't go wrong with either.
        CD/DVD Denon 2910
        Pre Sunfire Grand Processor III
        Amp Sunfire Cinema Grand
        Polk LSi9s (front)
        Polk LSiC (center)
        Polk LSiFXs (rear)
        Sub SVS 20-39+
        Panasonic TH-58PX600U Plasma
        Rotel 991 2 channel (sides)
        Cambridge s-300 Multipole (sides)
        Blue Jean Cables

Comment

• cfrizz
          • Apr 2006

I wasn't impressed when I heard the 1077. Compared to the 1080 it sounded anemic.

I liked the 1091 & 1092 much better & were comparable to the 1080.

I love my Sunfire with it's 405wpc but only weighs 43lbs!
          Cathy
          ---------
          Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

thanks i appreciate the responses

Comment

• Ferres
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by cfrizz
              I wasn't impressed when I heard the 1077. Compared to the 1080 it sounded anemic.

I liked the 1091 & 1092 much better & were comparable to the 1080.

I love my Sunfire with it's 405wpc but only weighs 43lbs!
              Was that 1077 broken in yet?

Comment

• cfrizz
                • Apr 2006

Hi Ferres, I honestly don't know. Quite honestly I want my gear to sound good right out of the box, I don't want to have to think about break in.

My Parasound 1500A sounded outstanding brand new when I hooked it up to my system. If it got better with more use I never noticed. Same thing with my RCD1072.

If I have to wait for something to break in before it sounds good, how do I know that will ever happen? I'm not about to get stuck with a piece of equipment that never sounds good. So it better sound good from day 1!
                Cathy
                ---------
                Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• Ferres
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by cfrizz
                  Hi Ferres, I honestly don't know. Quite honestly I want my gear to sound good right out of the box, I don't want to have to think about break in.

My Parasound 1500A sounded outstanding brand new when I hooked it up to my system. If it got better with more use I never noticed. Same thing with my RCD1072.

If I have to wait for something to break in before it sounds good, how do I know that will ever happen? I'm not about to get stuck with a piece of equipment that never sounds good. So it better sound good from day 1!
                  I see. This break in period maybe distinctive to the D-class amps. The RB-1092 may have sounded better out of the box because of the shear power it can deliver.

When I first got the rmb-1077, it sounded anemic with the bass and volume was a little on the weak side compared to my Parasound HCA 1200II's. I was infact using my subwoofer in the first couple of days with the 1077, I don't use the sub anymore after the break-in.

Now, it easily beats my old 1200II's and 2200II. Not to mention the size and efficiency benefits. :T

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"