X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

RMB1077 and RSX1057 system

I was planning on using an RSX1057 as a processor with an RMB1077 hooked up to a pair of B&W 804s and a HTM3s. Orignally I thought I would biamp and biwire the L and R fronts using 4 channels of the RMB1077 while using the remaining 3 channels to drive the center and back surrounds.

Then I started thinking that since the center channel is so important, and the HTM3s is such a close match to the 804s it might be better to biamp and biwire the entire front end using 6 of the RMB1077 channels, and use the RSX1057 to power the rear surrounds.

I still think the first setup would be best since having the L and R fronts biamped and biwired would have more power for HT and 2 channel both. I also like the fact that the center and rear surrounds are being pushed by the same identical amp signal, and I could upgrade to one of the new Rotel processors when they are released. I guess it basically comes down to how the center would sound in either case.

Opinions would be appreciated, Thanks, Ed ;x(
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Bi-amp the front three

Ed,

I currently have N804's and an HTM1. I am bi-amping the front three with a 1077. This set-up is very similer to yours. In my set-up, the integration of the front three is excellent. The same amp is powering all three speakers in the same manner. I have a 1066 amp to power my rears. The 1057 should be more than adequate for most rear speakers. I would go with your second scenario. The 804's are still bi-amped for 2 channel, while the center would sound almost identical to the 804's. For HT, I believe getting the center integrated into the mains yields more overall benefits to the total sound than
    powering the rears with the same amp.

You can always try both and see what you like.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Clepto
      • Feb 2006

Id say try single amping off the 1077 first, and then compare that to biamping with the receiver...

If you do determine you like biamping better, I'd think you'd be better served driving the HF from the receiver, LF from the 1077...

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
        • Sep 2006

I am still playing around with my set up but I have 804S and HTM3S in the front with 4 more surround speakers (2 with the 1077 and 2 with the 1057). I am bi-amping (with the 1077) the front two and bi-wiring (with the 1077) the center. The reason I am doing this and not bi-amping is I also am powering two speakers in a zone 2 (the 1057). I have listened to it bi-amped and not and I do think the bass is a little cleaner/tighter. To be honest I can't tell much difference with the bi-wired center vs. straight wiring on the center. The timbre match seems very good in the front and I don't hear any issues in the back (so much of the sound back there is effects and not voice or music). If you do bi-amp the center as well, please post back as I have been debating doing this as well.

I also am thinking that this setup will change when Rotel has a new processor available. What are you thinking of doing from an amp standpoint if you do this? I have been debating this alot in my head. Which is ironic because I have only had this system up and running for about 2 weeks and Rotel hasn't even launched the new processor yet. :lol:

Comment

• bullitt731
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Sticky Hawk
          I am still playing around with my set up but I have 804S and HTM3S in the front with 4 more surround speakers (2 with the 1077 and 2 with the 1057). I am bi-amping (with the 1077) the front two and bi-wiring (with the 1077) the center. The reason I am doing this and not bi-amping is I also am powering two speakers in a zone 2 (the 1057). I have listened to it bi-amped and not and I do think the bass is a little cleaner/tighter. To be honest I can't tell much difference with the bi-wired center vs. straight wiring on the center. The timbre match seems very good in the front and I don't hear any issues in the back (so much of the sound back there is effects and not voice or music). If you do bi-amp the center as well, please post back as I have been debating doing this as well.

I also am thinking that this setup will change when Rotel has a new processor available. What are you thinking of doing from an amp standpoint if you do this? I have been debating this alot in my head. Which is ironic because I have only had this system up and running for about 2 weeks and Rotel hasn't even launched the new processor yet. :lol:
          I went ahead and ordered a new biwire center channel cable so I can test the speaker in single and biamp, biwire configuration. I will post the evaluation of this comparison when completed. If the entire front end sounds better biamped and biwired I will probably just hold on to the 1057, if the difference is minimal I will sell the 1057 and pick up one of the new processors depending on what they have to offer in terms of improvement over the 1057s processing abilities. I do not have room to do anything other than a 5 channel set up so some of the new processor advancements may not be useable in my case. I am going to pose these questions directly to Rotel and see where they stand on the issues. I will post their reply for anyone interested.

Thanks to all who have relied, :B

Regards, Ed

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Sounds good. FYI, while technically having two sets of wires in a bi-amp situation, bi-wiring only involves one amplifier output. The two sets of speaker leads go back to the same terminals on the amp.

So you can test it bi-wired and you can test it bi-amped, but not at the same time.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bullitt731
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Sounds good. FYI, while technically having two sets of wires in a bi-amp situation, bi-wiring only involves one amplifier output. The two sets of speaker leads go back to the same terminals on the amp.

So you can test it bi-wired and you can test it bi-amped, but not at the same time.

Kevin D.
              Wouldn't a biwire cable fed by two separate amp channels simultaneously into a biwireable speaker with 2 sets of bananna plugs be considered a biamped biwired speaker?

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Nope. It's just bi-amped. It's more semantics then anything. A lot of bi-wire cables come pre-terminated to just one amplifier channel and I didn't want you confusing someone when ordering cables.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"