X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Another happy 1077 owner

This post is a bit lengthy, but I wanted to get all of my thoughts in. I recently purchased a Rotel 1077 amp. Below are my impressions after about 3 weeks. First, to give context to the 1077’s performance, I want to quickly review were I was and how I got to where I am now. I have B&W N804’s mains, HTM1 center and 705 surrounds and a 1068 pre.

My room is 12' x 15' with vaulted ceilings. These speakers were originally powered by a Rotel 1095. This was a very nice combination. Last year I purchased a 1080 stereo amp to power the mains (I used the extra channels on the 1095 to power some patio speakers(!)). On the N804’s, the 1080 had better bass response, wider soundstage and better clarity/openness than the 1095.

I have had issues with the channels of the 1080 going out (due to different problems each time). The right channel went out again recently and my dealer gave me full credit for the 1080. I also found a taker for my 1095 and, presto, I got a 1077 (and a 1066 to run the rears and patio). I passively bi-amped the N804’s and HTM1 with the 1077. I am bi-amping the 705 rears (why not, I had the channels to do it) with the Rotel 1066. Below are my impressions of the 1077.

BASS: Better on the N804’s. A little tighter and faster than the 1080. The center channel bass (previously on the 1095) is substantially more noticeable and tight. The cohesion of bass across the front three is noticeably better with the 1077.

SOUNDSTAGE: The soundstage is about as wide as the 1080. However, it is deeper than the 1080. I’m still getting used to this, but it is quite good.

DYNAMICS: Dynamics were excellent before and remain so. I haven’t noticed much change in this area.

LOW VOLUME: I’ve noticed that listening at lower volumes is a bit easier. Not a big change, but a welcome one nonetheless.

VENTILATION: It runs relatively cool. At first, I had less than 2” clearance above the amp. It ran warm, a bit warmer that I expected. However, it was still much cooler than the 1080. I now have more than 2” clearance. This has helped. The unit runs lukewarm now. I’ve attached a picture for reference.

TREBLE/MIDRANGE: On the N804’s, the treble is a bit more open with the 1077. So far, midrange is about the same as the 1080 (which was already quite good). For the HTM1, both midrange and treble are definitely more open and cleaner. The HTM1 has benefited the most from this upgrade, which is good from an HT perspective.

OTHER: The 1077 has handled anything I’ve thrown at it. The 1080/1095 amps are powerful and quick, but the 1077 seems quicker. It’s hard to put my finger on this exactly, but that is the impression I get. Finally, the 1077 has high WAF. We had the 1080 out in the open. The kids haven’t touched it, but that wouldn’t last forever. Now all amps are in on shelves and out of the way of curious fingers.

SUMMARY: To me, the 1077 is essentially a slightly better multi-channel version of a 1080, in a 3” package that runs pretty cool. To me, that’s quite an accomplishment. :T

EDIT: NOISE: This amp is VERY QUIET. Previously, with my 1095 and 1080, I have heard a small bit of noise, hiss, background noise, etc. With this amp, I simply don't hear much at all. I have to be right next to the speaker and then it's very, very faint. I'm quite impressed. I've worked to drive noise from my system. This amp goes along way to achieving that goal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by htsteve; 09 June 2006, 09:00 Friday.
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

Nice review, thanks for the effort.

Kobus

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

I just ordered another RB-1092 and a RB-1091 to go with my current RB1092 to complete my HT. Now I need a good pre/pro. My current pre is a 2 ch RC-1090. Any recomendations from anyone on a pre/pro?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

What Speakers?

miner,

What speakers are you planning to drive? You've ordered some serious amp's. If B&W (like 800 series), I've always had very good success with Rotel. You might consider a 1068 for now. Based on other threads, there may be a replacement within the next year that has updates for HDMI and the new HD digital processing. If you wanted to upgrade then, the 1068 should be sellable. The 1068 is very good in its own right (I have one :T ).

Hope this helps.

Comment

• foeth
          • Apr 2006

Arcam already sells 2 pre-processors (AV-9 and AVP700) that have HDMI and all the usual trinkets, and will combine nicely with their new DVD player that is also SA-CD capable. Rotel does not support SA-CD now, a serious drawback.

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
            miner,

What speakers are you planning to drive? You've ordered some serious amp's. If B&W (like 800 series), I've always had very good success with Rotel. You might consider a 1068 for now. Based on other threads, there may be a replacement within the next year that has updates for HDMI and the new HD digital processing. If you wanted to upgrade then, the 1068 should be sellable. The 1068 is very good in its own right (I have one :T ).

Hope this helps.
            I currently have N804 (mains), ASW800 sub and plan on N805 for surrounds. I may consider 803D or mains and use the 804 for surrounds.

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by miner
              I currently have N804 (mains), ASW800 sub and plan on N805 for surrounds. I may consider 803D or mains and use the 804 for surrounds.
              how did you integrate a 2 ch preamp to your HT setup?

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

I have been thinking about getting a 1077 to replace my current amp for space issues. However I really like my current amp, an Earthquake Cinenova 3 channel beast. From a purely superficial level in terms of looks its hard to think the tiny 1077 will have the same visiual impact of the Cinenova. I know, I know, its the sound that matters. I am curious to see how they compare, hoping my dealer will let me demo one at home.

Comment

• stewfoo
                  • Jul 2005

The cinenova looks bigger. But, it looks very industrial. I know it is hard to believe that the small package of the 1077 will be able to compare. But, it sounds like it does well relative to its cost. I will let you all know. I just ordered two of them to run 7 of my whole house distribution in-ceilings....
                  Stew
                  Stew

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

300w is 300w ... your cinenova will definitely sound "louder" (therefore IMO better) than the 1077.

take into consideration I am comparing a 150wpc amp to the 1077 powering a pair of TOWER speakers

Comment

• boe
                      • Jul 2004

I definitely would like to hear comparisions from people who have the cineova and the 1077 or the 1092. I'd like something with the good sound of the cineova and reasonable price but also would like something that doesn't run like a furnace. I'm not saying the Cineova does, I have a 3 channel rotel and 2 channel parasound that throw A LOT of heat (I don't have Cineova). Hopefully next year will build upon what they've learned with the 1077 and make a nice three five channel amp with some good increased power such as the cineova.

Comment

• Pez
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by boe
                        I definitely would like to hear comparisions from people who have the cineova and the 1077 or the 1092. I'd like something with the good sound of the cineova and reasonable price but also would like something that doesn't run like a furnace. I'm not saying the Cineova does, I have a 3 channel rotel and 2 channel parasound that throw A LOT of heat (I don't have Cineova). Hopefully next year will build upon what they've learned with the 1077 and make a nice three five channel amp with some good increased power such as the cineova.
                        I am hoping me dealer with let me take a 1077 home to demo against my cinenova, if so I will certainly report back. I should find out this week or next when I have some time.

Comment

• boe
                          • Jul 2004

That would be great! I was considering getting the cineova as I was told it would be a step up in sound quality but it would be nice to get something lighter and with less heat. I wonder if Cineova is considering making any class d amps. They get great reviews but their web page has nearly no info on their amps - there is far more info in the reviews than the specs on their own web page.

Comment

• boe
                            • Jul 2004

Pez - any luck? I'd like to replace my bedroom amp but doubt that the 1077's will cut it for my 8 ohm speakers. I'd get the 1092's but cost and space are a consideration (mostly cost)

I'm in Los Angeles and surprisingly I haven't found too many good listening locations for the Rotel equipment. I've found a few dealers - mostly asking MSRP! You'd think they'd have really good listening rooms at thos prices!

Comment

• mike c
                              • Dec 2005

why won't the 1077 cut it for your 8 ohm speakers?

Comment

• Pez
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by boe
                                Pez - any luck? I'd like to replace my bedroom amp but doubt that the 1077's will cut it for my 8 ohm speakers. I'd get the 1092's but cost and space are a consideration (mostly cost)

I'm in Los Angeles and surprisingly I haven't found too many good listening locations for the Rotel equipment. I've found a few dealers - mostly asking MSRP! You'd think they'd have really good listening rooms at thos prices!
                                Actually went to my dealer yesterday to see if they had a 1077 I could bring home and demo - they didnt. They are going to order one so as soon as its in I can try it out at home. Probably going to be a week or two. As dumb as this sounds I hope I dont like it as much as my current Earthquake amp cause I just love the visiual impact the EQ has, the sheer size and handles just scream bad-ass. However with the 1077 my audio rack would look a lot more streamlined. I will be the first to admit aesthetics play a big part in my setup and I could go either way on this one.

Comment

• boe
                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by mike c
                                  why won't the 1077 cut it for your 8 ohm speakers?
                                  I can't say for sure but I doubt it will have enough oomph. My 200 Watt at 8ohm amp seems a little weak as it is. I could be wrong - that is why I'm anxious to hear what PEZ has to say.

Comment

• Pez
                                    • May 2004

Originally posted by boe
                                    I can't say for sure but I doubt it will have enough oomph. My 200 Watt at 8ohm amp seems a little weak as it is. I could be wrong - that is why I'm anxious to hear what PEZ has to say.
                                    At a hi-fi show rotel had the 1077 powering 6 B&W 803D's and center channel, and according to the article (which can be found on rotels website under producr reviews) did so with no problems at all. I had concerns about it being able to drive my 804S's but that article is what made me want to give it a try.

On the flip side my dealer did make a comment about it lacking some in the bass department. I take that with a grain of salt as they have only had one go through their doors and probably dont have much experience with it yet. Even though I dont listen to much music I do like to keep it pure 2 channel with no sub so that will be a good test.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"