X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MeAN
    • Jun 2007

RB970BX Amplifier

Hello everybody, first post here! :roll:
    I am the proud owner of a couple of vintage Rotels, the RA1312 and RT1024, and I recently decided to taste a bit of the Rotel's more modern amplifiers' line.
    My decision was for the RB970Bx (1994, 60Wx2) that I got rather cheap.
    Now my question is: does anybody know the correct bias value for this ampli?
    As I'm used to do when I buy used equipment, I checked both the DC-offset and the Power BJT's bias. It turned out that while the DC offset was quite good (2 and 4 mV), one channel had a 9mV bias, while the other only 1mV.
    I read on a RB991 service manual that the bias for that model should be 7mv.
    Do you think that this could be applicable to the RB970BX, too? Or - even better - has anybody the 970's service manual? ;x(

Thank you and pls forgive me for having started with a request :roll:
    Carlo
    vintage Rotel: RA1312 + RT1024
    other Rotel: RB970BX
  • trats
    • Aug 2005

Carlo,

I've got an RB970BX mk2, with modded PSU section. The bias was around 8 mV each channel, and might be the same for the mk1 model. In case you haven't seen these before, the schematics for RA970 and RA971 are here,

Download Rotel RA-970BX Service manual Rotel RA-970BX integrated amplifier. ✅ Audio equipment,digital audio, home audio, professional audio systems service manuals and repair information

Download Rotel RA-971 MkII Service manual Rotel RA-971 MkII integrated amplifier. ✅ Audio equipment,digital audio, home audio, professional audio systems service manuals and repair information

The amp section of my 970 is very similar to those integrated models. The offset of 2-4 mV seems v. good, but the bias on the other one seems off. Note the polarities of the DMM leads on the test pins in the technical manuals.

Comment

• MeAN
      • Jun 2007

Thank you trats for the very useful reply :T
      You see, I'm used to deal with vintage equipment that usually uses a much higher bias (25-30mV).
      At this point, I'd say that an 8 mV bias really seems the right choice to go for the rb970bx, too.

Thank you again,
      Carlo
      vintage Rotel: RA1312 + RT1024
      other Rotel: RB970BX

Comment

• deepakvali
        • Apr 2007

can u share whats e purpose of measuring bias?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"