X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csturnbull
    • May 2007

RCD 865 help required

I have just saved a Rotel RCD865 CD Player and a RA810A Amplifier from the skip. A customer of mine asked me to bin them on my way home but curiosity got the better of me and I took it home, connected it up and what a surprise! It is now staying put!
    Just a couple of things:
    1) The headphones when plugged in don't cut out the speakers(am I missing something?)

2) On rare occassions the cd jumps a bit. Is this serious or can I do something?

Sorry if these are elementary things but I have no knowledge of audio so all help is appreciated. I just cannot bring myself to scrap thes items.

Thanks
    Clive
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

No you're not missing anything. There are quite a few amps that shut off the speaker outputs when headphones are plugged in. Headphone need an amp to drive them so most companies don't add a second amp just for the headphones, they use the one already there.

The laser in the CD player is probably weak due to age. It's more of annoyance than anything. If it gets really bad you'll have to get the laser fixed/replaced. Because it is old, there may not be parts available so you'll have to find out when that time comes.

Eric

Comment

• csturnbull
      • May 2007

Eric
      Many thanks, I have been using it throughout the day and now the skipping seems to have disappeared. Could it have been that it has been lying in a garage for a couple of years and not used? Not bothered about the headphones so all in all I am happy. Any idea about it's date of manufacture?
      Thanks again
      Regards
      Clive

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

It's probably about 15-17 years old.

The laser section might need nothing more than a light cleaning... but as noted, it is elderly and could die sooner rather than later.

But maybe not, if it was lightly used over that time... I've got a subsequent model that has never failed after 13-14 yrs of regular use.

Enjoy.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• csturnbull
          • May 2007

Many thanks, I will keep using it and now I am converted I will buy a newer model if it does die.
          Regards
          Clive

Comment

• cfrizz
            • Apr 2006

See Clive, I told you someone over here would give you a hand. As for the age of your players.

Player Descrip Yrs Manf. Price
            RCD865BX Bitstream, remote 1990-1991 $599
            RA810 40W 1973-1978 $350

Holy Smoke The IA is ancient & still going strong!!!!

Now you see why I will ALWAYS have a piece of Rotel equipment in my rack!
            Cathy
            ---------
            Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• Destruction
              • Dec 2006

I have just saved a Rotel RCD865 CD Player and a RA810A Amplifier from the skip. A customer of mine asked me to bin them on my way home but curiosity got the better of me and I took it home, connected it up and what a surprise! It is now staying put!
              Just a couple of things:
              1) The headphones when plugged in don't cut out the speakers(am I missing something?)

2) On rare occassions the cd jumps a bit. Is this serious or can I do something?

Sorry if these are elementary things but I have no knowledge of audio so all help is appreciated. I just cannot bring myself to scrap thes items.

Thanks
              Clive
              Hi Clive,

The headphone situation is normal for this amp - dont ask me why, but the idea was that a separate speak switch is intended. The headphone output is also taken directly off the high level speaker output for best sonic performance using a series resistor. If you want the owners manual just email Rotel Europe, they should be able to help.

Re. CD player: The laser used is a Philips type (CDM9 I think), you can still get them in some places but they are expensive - £80 - £100 +. Given the age of the player it's probably worth running it until it dies completely then upgrading.

All the best.
              Best regards,

Comment

• dmcgowan
                • Sep 2003

Still got an RCD865BX LE in our study and works / sounds a charm. One day it will pack up but in the meantime it still sounds great. Maybe the RCD1072 to match the rest of the new kit then

Comment

• csturnbull
                  • May 2007

Thanks all for the information. I find this a very friendly and helpful forum and I will always be popping back for a browse etc.
                  Regards to all

Clive

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"