X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • polik71
    • May 2006

RCD 991 laser fault? (HELP)

Hi , maybe I posted my question in the wrong place last time.
    Like some other Rotelians I started to have some bad problems reading CD-R and even CD with my RCD 991 (an used one...quite heavily and old item...but had at a very good price)
    Of course now I am in trouble :rofl:
    I disassembled the laser mechanism and found on the net some good infos about the Sony KSS213-B laser unit but not about any improvements of that unit or compatibility with the KSS213 family.
    This was my previous post and question in the RDC991 vs RCD991AE thread :

Hi to everyone I have the same problem with my RCD991 , the laser seems faulted and the spin motor is a bit noisy. I found the Sony KSS-213B laser on the Net for about 15-20Euros (if asking to Sony local assistance center was 47Euros...). I think I will try to change it by myself.
    Do anyone knows about the laser calibration procedure on the KSS-213B trimmer?
    And what about the other KSS-213 family lasers? Is there any better quality/reliability compared to the B version? (compatibility issues?)

Thanks in advance for the interest

Marco
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Very few of us here have taken things to that level. It might be a while before someone comes in that knows an answer.

Good luck!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

It could be that the laser was/is ok and that the motor which moves the laser is worn out (The symptom would be frequent skipping). I've come across that before on an RCD-855. If that is the case, a Rotel service centre should be able to fit a new motor for somewhere around $100. You could try that.

Good luck, Ben.

Comment

• polik71
        • May 2006

Thanks Ben , infact I also ordered some days ago the 2 motors (spin+sled motors) for a better and complete replacement. Anyway ,apart the motors that doesn't need any calibration , the new laser I think needs it. I was reading time ago that the current flowing in it can heavily affect the real life before failure.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"