X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geminiix3
    • Feb 2011

ROTEL RCD 865 modification

Hello,

This is my first posting here, just signed on from Scotland.

There is a Rotel ROTEL RCD 865 coming up on eBay UK in a couple of days (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MEWAX:IT), from a UK dealership, noting that " It was upgraded by installation of high end level valve output stage to enhance sound quality."

Economics are a key element for me, thus I'm not able to look toward newer equipment. I'm also considering ARCAM CD7, CD73 and CD92. Prices are in the ranges of ca £80-140/$120-215.

Does anyone have any thoughts/input about this? My system is an ART AUDIO valve/tube amp and pre-amp, with AUDIO NOTE ANJ-1B speakers.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

DB, Edinburgh Scotland
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Hi DB....Not too many people buying stand alone CD players anymore but the Rotel looks like a good one with many good reviews on line. However, it's a good 10 years+ old and that is a bit risky in terms of longevity. Laser assemblys, belts and the like do not last forever and eventually fail. My Marantz unit (CD67SE) is a good 12 years old and still works fine and sounds great but I am waiting for it to start to fail at this point. The fact that the unit your going to buy has been moded kinda' worries me as well. On another note, DAC's and just about everything that goes into players has improved dramatically since the 1990's. $200+ bucks for a 10yr+ old CD player that retailed for $600 is too much in my opinion.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• geminiix3
      • Feb 2011

Hello, MadMac:

Thanks for your input, it somewhat mirrors my reservations and sentiments. Budget limitations have attracted me to potential, the major uncertainty as you pointed out, are the improvements in workings of CDs since then, as well as failure element.

The other options i've been considering are the Arcam 7 &73 which seem to be at the top of my price range in 2nd hand gear.

Any thoughts on this area?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

At the end of the day, I would buy the best and most recent CD player you can afford. I am sure the Arcam players are very good and I have heard a lot of good things about them. I have never auditioned one though as they are not super common here in Canada. Most people are using Blu ray players now and there are some really good one's for audio performance,,,,,,,The new Oppo BDP-95 and the older BDP-83SE being some of the better one's. Those are probably out of your price range however. If you are going to buy an old, stand alone CD player......regardless of the retail cost, you should be looking at around $100 bucks tops[U].....especially if it's 5-15 years old. Technology works that way now. You buy something, and then it's obsolete and worth nothing in no more than 2 years!!. I paid $2300 bucks for my TV 2yrs ago and love it.....but if I wanted to sell it, I would have to practically give it away now!!. Stand alone CD players are basically obsolete now. You can VERY much bargin now regarding price. Bottom line......they want to get rid of it!!.

Comment

• geminiix3
          • Feb 2011

CD/Canada Rotel

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You mention that standalone CDs are 'out' nowadays, and blu-ray is in. In the UK on the other hand, CD is CD, and home video is that. Second hand CD units for $100 (£65)? they can be had on ebay and local charity shops for upwards from £20, but anything 'serious' audiophile in nature is at least £65$120 on up +. A truly decent 5-10 yo will fetch more. I'm keeping an idea on a later Rotel 965, and Arcam 73 coming up on eBay here.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Make sure it looks pristine and has been well taken care of. The better the player has been treated, the less likely it will fail early. It's interesting that CD players are still common in the UK. Very interesting !. I paid around $650 for my player and now it's about 12 years old. If I tried to sell it here in Canada, I would be really LUCKY to get $100 bucks for it. Then again,,,,,,,probably not !!. To give you an idea where technology has gone in the last 10yrs, I have done A-B comparisons with my Oppo dvd player and my Marantz which I paid MUCH more for, and the Marantz is better than the Oppo.......but not by a huge degree. DAC's and all the electronic components that go into players now are better than in the past.......and cheaper. Bare that in mind when you pay a premium for 'old' technology!.

Comment

• vifferboy
              • Mar 2007

Don't be so sure, I sold a twenty year old Rotel RCD855 for $250 to a dealer in Toronto a couple of years ago ...

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

@vifferboy....20ys old?? $250 bucks!!??. Wow.....you did good!. The fact that it was still working is another shocker !!. That unit was built shortly after the birth of CD technology !!

Comment

• vifferboy
                  • Mar 2007

The RCD855 was built like a tank I bought it in 1990 I think . I did have to have it repaired twice, once I dropped it and then in 2007 part of the transport had to be repaired after 17 years of almost daily use.

My Dad home in England still uses my first Rotel RA820 amp which I bought in 1985. It powers the speakers in his home office and still works flawlessly..

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"