X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffo19
    • Oct 2006

RB 1050 or 1070?

My first question is, will small speakers benefit with more power. I am currently using an Rotel Ra-02(40W), and was thinking if there would be any sound improvment if I used the Ra-02 as my preamp, and got a seperate power amp? I can understand large speakers needing more power, but small monitors.
    Second, has anyone heard these 2 amps, and is there any sound difference between the 2? I would imagine the 1070 would have more bass output. Thanks..Jeff
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

The 1070 will go louder without distortion. If it has more bass than the 1050 at a matched volume level (without distortion) I would say something is wrong with one or the other.

Chris P.

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jeffo19
      Second, has anyone heard these 2 amps, and is there any sound difference between the 2? I would imagine the 1070 would have more bass output. Thanks..Jeff
      The RB-1070 won't have more bass, but it will have better control of the bass. Some people think it sounds like more but it's not. The RB-1070 is better is all areas IMO. Having a bigger power supply, and more output in this case, it controls speakers better.

Eric

Comment

• Jeffo19
        • Oct 2006

Yeah. It always seemed to me that anytime I would go with a higher powered amp,(lets say 70W-200W), it always sounded like more bass was coming from the speakers. From what I have read, the higher current pushes the drivers harder, thus producing a stronger bass response. Sometimes, I would prefer a lower wattage amp, just because the higher powered amp made my speakers sound too bass heavy. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this was always my observations when changing power amps.

Comment

• Redhawk
          • Feb 2007

When listening at normal volumes, something that you can still talk over comfortably, is there more details with more watts in the mids and highs?
          RDV-1045 - RMB-1075 - RSP-1069 - RCD-1072 - CM7 - CM1 - ASW 608

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Redhawk
            When listening at normal volumes, something that you can still talk over comfortably, is there more details with more watts in the mids and highs?
            If you are comparing two similar amps like the RB-1050 and the RB-1070 that is usually the case, but not always.

I have also compared plenty of amps with smaller outputs (like a Classe CA2100 at 100 watts per channel) to bigger amps (like the Rotel RB-1080 at 200 watts per channel) and the smaller output amp sounds better. It comes down to quality of design, parts, etc.

Eric

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"