X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konkame
    • Feb 2007

New comer faced with RSP-1098 PLⅡx mode change

Hi, Forum menbers . I have just joined this forum from Japan. I have recently upgraded the firmware of my newly bought RSP-1098 to Ver.2.1.8. I have a problem with the auto detection of input surround mode. I set my default surround mode to PLⅡx cinema. But whenever DVD disc with DD5.1 content is incerted to the player, my RSP-1098 would detect the surround mode as PLⅡx music, and I can not override this selection with th buttons on a remote. As we don't have Japanese user manuauls nor related information in Japanese, information from this forum is almost only useful information we can get in Japan.(Strangely enough, although Rotel is originaly an Japanese Audio manufacture, many of Rotel HT gears are not available in Japan.)
    Thank you for your help in advance.

konkame in Japan
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Hit the SUR+ button and then the Left/right (+/-) keys to change the applied mode. The 1098 will remember it based on the input signal, IE DD, DD-EX, DTS, nd DTS-ES can have different PLIIX/XS modes applied and remember.

A digital signal overrides the default surround mode, but once you set it up for each digital signal you shouldn't have to change it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• konkame
      • Feb 2007

Thanks Kevin for your advice, but still problem.....

Hi, Kevin, thank you for your advice . But I still have a problem with mode option change. As you pointed out, I can change the surround mode with sur+ bottom and +/- keys from PL11x-music to DD-ex or xs, downmix. But the problem is that I can not get the PL11x-cinema mode. Strangely enough, with 2ch stereo input source, I can change between music option and cinema option by pushing PLC button or PLM button. But these buttons will not function while playing DD 5.1 discs. These DD 5.1 discs will automatically change the mode to -music . I am a bit confused :cry: .

Konkame

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Hmm. It should cycle like it does but include PLII-C. What firmware was your unit at? If you had went from a 1.xx version to a 2.xx version without applying the needed EEPROM update you could get weird errors.

Last thing, did you DEFAULT the unit after the firmware update? It is required to insure no issues. Just write all your settings down, perform a factory default, and then reapply your settings.

Kevin D.

Comment

• konkame
          • Feb 2007

Since I researched firmware update issues here before...

Thank you again, Kevin, for your advice. Since I had researched the update issues here in this forum before I actually carried out the update, I did both eprom update first, and then updated my original firmware from Ver.1.1.4 to 2.1.8. and also defaulted the unit. To make it sure, I will try to default the unit again and I will report the result again.

By the way, my HT setup is as follows,

prepro: Rotel RSP-1098
          main amp: Rotel RB-1080
          surr amp: Rotel RA-980BX
          Center and CB(1,2) amp : Flying Mole mono amp DAD-M100 pro(×3)
          Main SP: B&W CDMNT7
          Center SP: B&W CDMNCT
          Surr SP: Yamaha
          CB SP: Yamaha
          Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL-1000

Konkame in Japan

Comment

• konkame
            • Feb 2007

here is a report of the situation after defaulting

I will report the present situation of my RSP-1098 mode selecton after doing the factory default. Basicaly I got the same result. At the DVD opening main menu scene, the unit detect the DD 5.1 input source as set as my default setting that is PL11x-cinema. But onece the main content chaper begins to play, the unit will make a click sound and change the mode to PL11x-music and I can not get the cinema mode again (but dd-ex, dd-xs, etc.) I tried the same thing with the DTS content disc. With the dts disc, my unit selected DTS-xs mode and I could not get the PL11x-cinema. I am afraid that I will have to be content with -xs mode for a while. :cry:

Konkame

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Hmm. Really sounds like something went wrong with the update. You probably did everything right, just some strange error. I would re-apply the 4 EEPROM updates and the firmware and try again.

Was the unit used or did you buy an old display model? While the warranty isn't transferable, I'm sure Rotel would be willing to perform a complete re-write on the EEROM if needed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• konkame
                • Feb 2007

the new progress report of my RSP-1098 PL11x problem

Thank you Kevin for your reply. The situation has changed today after I activated two center back speakers instead of only one. Up untill tonight I only used one center back speaker. I spent almost one day for rearranging my living theater room, wiring speaker cables all along the wall, ceiling and etc. After all these labor, I reset the speaker configlation of my RSP-1098(Center Bacd 2). all of a sudden, I can change the mode to PL11x-cinema with the SUR+ and +/- key on the remote. Does this mean that you can not use PL11x-cinema mode with the 6.1 ch speaker system? But anyway, my problem has been solved at the moment. Buy the way I bought my RSP-1098 from ROTEL JAPAN. This was the only one left which seemd to have been stocked in the ROTEL warehouse in Japan for guite some time. There are very few people who use this gear in Japan( As I said before there is no Japanese owners manual). And you probably know, there is no japanese ROTEL web site. So this forum will be my favorite site to visit from now on.

Konkame in Japan where ROTEL originated but not doing business well for some reason or other.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Doh.. Didn't even think about that. Yes PLIIx is technically a 7.1 only setup. I wouldn't think they would even give you an option on the 6.1 setup, but looks like there is a way for the music mode to be applied to a Dolby Digital signal.

Strange about Rotel not being available in Japan.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"