X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meltdown
    • Apr 2006

Rc 1070

Just wondering if anyone has tried this stereo preamp. I was thinking of putting together another small system, and thought that this might be a decent preamp to use.
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

I use it... I think it's a solid preamp. There are better, obviously, but you have to draw the line somewhere, right? Even when you stepup to the 1090, there's still better.

The 1070 is good preamp and I use it in my system. When the time comes for an upgrade, then the 1070 will go... but for now and for the past year or so, the RC1070 has been a solid part of my Rotel system.
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

I use the RC-1070 & RB-1070 as my BR system. A very solid pre - I have read one review where the writer thought the phono pre on it is worth the cost of the unit. My main unit coinsists of the RC-1090 & RB1092.

Comment

• benny
        • Jan 2005

It's been worth the price for sure. I had a couple of QC issues, but from what I've heard Rotel has taken big steps to resolve that. It sounds great.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by benny
          It's been worth the price for sure. I had a couple of QC issues, but from what I've heard Rotel has taken big steps to resolve that. It sounds great.
          What type of QC issues did you encounter?

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I've owned an RC-1070 for about 18 months and I'm very happy with it.

Comment

• benny
              • Jan 2005

Well miner, I almost hate to open this can of worms (because I took alot of smart ass comments when I posted about it almost a year ago) but here's the deal: I had two units that got "zapped" by static shock when I touched them and it caused the unit to fail. It was in the dry winter months, yes I could have used the remote exclusively, but I believe a Rotel product with their power supply build should not be this sensitive to minor electostatic "shocks". Several others reported the exact same thing and then there were plenty of posters who thought it was funny and assumed that I'm type of moron. Whatever... And oh by the way, the one I have now that sounds so good, has a burnt out LED in the volume knob. No idea how/why this happened. I take care of my gear, isolation racks, etc. so know that neither of these problems were a result of misuse or abuse. -L8

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I recently picked a silver one up for a 2ch setup I'm putting together. I like it's simplicity. A great Rotel feature is the volume knob. When you turn up the volume with the remote, a motor in the 1070 physically turns the knob. :lol:

Using my "more weight is better" theorem, it passes the mark in that category too.

Yesterday I was in a local hifi shop where I listened to a pair of Signature S4's through a RCD-1072/RC-1070/RB-1080, and it seemed as transparent as anything I've ever heard.

I wouldn't try to build a home theater around it though. :B
                ~Nick

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

Love the S4s... especially cant wait to hear the NEW S4 v2... drool.

Sorry for the side track! :P
                  Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                  Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• adinfinitum
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                    I wouldn't try to build a home theater around it though. :B
                    I disagree,

I had a RC1070/RB1070 for 2 channel for a while. Integrated into this was my RSX1055 for HT. Admittedly, it was a little fiddley having to set a pre-set volume level on the pre-amp but it was well worth it for me having a great stereo and a great HT for a small cost. I only have one room and can't seperate the 2ch from the HT.

OF course, Nicholas is partially right, if I had more money I would have looked for a preamp with HT bypass, but there was nothing even close to the RC1070 for anywhere near the price.

A great pre-amp for a low cost with a great Phono board as miner said.
                    http://www.couchpotatosolutions.com.au/

Comment

• miner
                      • Mar 2005

When I replaced my RC-1070 with the RC-1090 I did hear a samll improvement. For the difference in size/wt & internals I was expecting more improvement. Rotel did a fine job with their 2 2-ch pre-amps.

Comment

• Nick M
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Yeah, that sounds kinda "touchy" having to find a volume for your mains that matches the center and surrounds everytime you sit down to watch, unless you listen at the exact same level every day at every hour. :lol:

What I meant with my above comment was that when starting new for a home theater that will be used for 2ch as well, the 1070 wouldn't be my first choice.

It was my first choice for my current 2ch project though. :T
                        ~Nick

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by benny
                          Well miner, I almost hate to open this can of worms (because I took alot of smart ass comments when I posted about it almost a year ago) but here's the deal: I had two units that got "zapped" by static shock when I touched them and it caused the unit to fail. It was in the dry winter months, yes I could have used the remote exclusively, but I believe a Rotel product with their power supply build should not be this sensitive to minor electostatic "shocks". Several others reported the exact same thing and then there were plenty of posters who thought it was funny and assumed that I'm type of moron. Whatever... And oh by the way, the one I have now that sounds so good, has a burnt out LED in the volume knob. No idea how/why this happened. I take care of my gear, isolation racks, etc. so know that neither of these problems were a result of misuse or abuse. -L8
                          benny, my teenage daughter told me she got zapped by my RC-1070 the other day. It closed the pre-amp down for a few seconds. That's the one and only time this has happened in 18 months.

Nigel.

Comment

• benny
                            • Jan 2005

^exactly. the first one or two times i could unplug/plug it again and it worked. the third time it went down...........and never came back. i really try to use the remote only during the dry months for fear of it happening again. good luck with yours.

Comment

• JimJ
                              • Aug 2006

Figured I might as well bring this back instead of making a whole new thread...

I'm trying to decide between the RC-1070 and the B&K Reference 5 S2...can anyone with experience with these chime in?

Thanks

Comment

• Blindamood
                                • Sep 2003

I have not used the RC-1070, but I do have the B&K Reference 5 in my two-channel setup (paired with the Reference 125.2 amp). I have been very happy with the sound and usability of this preamp. I went with B&K primarily because of the inclusion of the FM tuner, but ironically, I hardly ever use it since I now have both Sirius and Internet radio available in the same system.

Another advantage of the B&K is that it has an LED interface, which can be seen quite clearly from up to 8-10 feet away. Also includes the 12v trigger and balanced (XLR) connections to amp, both of which I use.
                                Brad

Comment

• JimJ
                                  • Aug 2006

Yeah, the decision is a little tough for me because I'm going to be using an outboard MM phono stage, so I don't really need the one built into the Rotel...and I don't really listen to a lot of local FM stations.

Guess it comes down to whatever sounds/is built the best.

Comment

• SIH
                                    • Jan 2003

I have also encountered QC issues with the RC-1070. When it worked it was was an adequate preamp for the money but because of the poor reliability I would never recommend it...ever.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"