X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

RC-1070 preamp . . .

Hey everyone, in the event that I do not decide to go 5.1, I'm considering upgrading my 2 channel system to include an RC-1070 preamp. Right now I am using my old Yamaha Integrated Amp as the preamp in my system.

In your opinion, would the 1070 be a worthwhile upgrade (in place of the Yamaha) in these regards? My initial thought is that the 1070 would be a more refined piece of equipment for preamp duties than the Yami and that it should provide a noticeable improvement for music. My system currently consists of an RB-1080, Paradigm Studio 80's and a Paradigm PW-2200 sub.

Thanks for your advice on this subject,
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

NMG,

IMO your initial thoughts are 100% correct re what a RC-1070 will do for your system - CD stereo bliss!

Geoff

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Absolutely, I came to Rotel from Yamaha, and use the RC-1070, Sweet......

Comment

• NMG
        • Oct 2004

Thanks for the info. I am now the owner of an RC-1070 to go along with my RB-1080.

I'll be hooking everything up tonight to give it the test run. This should cure my "upgrade fever" for a little while

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

NMG,

Let us know how you go with it...

PS - Judging by all the questions about upgraded speakers in some of your other posts - I suspect that the "upgrade fever" will be raging again soon and you will have a stereo and HT system to work on - twice the fun!

Geoff

Comment

• NMG
            • Oct 2004

LOL, I was hoping this would be a bit of a "pre-emptive strike" to help cure my upgrade bug Judging by my initial listen, it certainly should assist in those regards for quite a while.

My first immediate impression with the 1070 was that the music was more "laid back" (in a very good way). The Yami seemed to be more edgy or bright, especially with the higher frequencies. The 1070, while still being very detailed, didn't exhibit any harshness. In one particular passage I was listening to, the female vocalist hits a fairly high note and holds it for a a couple of seconds. The Yami had trouble with this and there was a bit of breakup (I had always assumed it was the recording). Low and behold, there was no breakup whatsoever with the 1070, it sounded marvelous.

There is little doubt in my mind that the 1070 is more refined. The soundstage appears deeper and the various components of the music seem more distinct than with the Yami. The Yami tended to "blend" everything together a little bit more. Drums have great tight punch and I was impressed by the low volume detail. I didn't get a chance to really open it up because my fiance was sleeping, but that will occur tomorrow I'm really looking forward to that. I have a sense that high volume listening will be much less fatiguing than with the Yami, due to the lack of edgyness (is that a word?) that I noted above.

All in all, I'm very happy with this upgrade. The Yami will certainy find a home in a second system somewhere in the house because it is still a decent amp, however, if my initial listening is any indication, it has been trumped failry handily by the 1070 in my main system.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

My 1070 took about a week to really begin to loosen up and prove what a performer it is, but once it did, it was a treat to go back and listen to some familiar tunes. You will hear differences in the way the recordings were done, some good, some not, but none the less, I would be willing to bet you will enjoy your'e new toy a great deal, cool.

Comment

• NMG
                • Oct 2004

Absolutely soundhound. I was actually wondering how long it would take for it to break in. I'll be sure to make sure it is given ample opportunity to do just that in the next week or so

It's always neat to go back to familiar recordings and pickup on things that you didn't hear before. It just helps to reinforce that the gear actually is working and that it's not all in your head . . . LOL.

Comment

• KEF
                  • Aug 2004

I am in the same boat (long)

I will preface this whole summary by saying that I am new to all of this and can only try to articulate what I hear...

My current set-up is a pair of N804s, an RCD-1072 running into a Yamaha RXV-1400 and then out to a RB-1080

I have been toying with the pre-amp question for about a month and have even posted here several times asking such. Yesterday I went to my local dealer and did some listening to systems simply swapping out the preamp - and I can honestly say I was shocked at the differences the pre made. Actually in awe might be a better description…

So the set-up was a pair of N803s, a RCD-1072, a Bryston 4B-SST and three pre-amps, the Bryston BP-20, the VTL TL 2.5 (tube) and the RC-1070. I wanted to listen to the RC-1090 but there wasn't one available yesterday.

I was listening to music I am very familiar with - Norah Jones, Come Away With Me, track #4 - the first 30 seconds. I must have listened to this 50 times yesterday.

We started with the Bryston and I really liked the sound. I had a friend with me and we agreed that it just sounded good, at this point not better or worse than anything, simply right. Moving to the VTL all of the detail of the keys, the strum of the strings, her voice, etc were gone - I didn't like it as much as the BP-20 – but it was still nice.

I listened to these two back and forth until I would have been able to identify, which was playing with my eyes closed. Then we added the RC-1070, and I was quite disappointed. It was as if all the clarity in the track had been washed away -

Now, I fully realize that comparing a $600 pre to an $1800 unit isn't fair; the RC-1090 would have been a better comparison. But in any case I listened to the BP-20 and the RC-1070 back and forth until I was intimate with that sound as well.

Then I went home. Plugged in my CD and sat for a listen. Honestly, I was almost sick - my set-up compared to the RC-1070 and without a doubt the BP-20 was not even in the same league, heck, they weren't even playing the same game.

How to be disappointed with 7K in stereo equipment.... ah....

Anyway, moral of the story - I will be listening to the RC-1090 vs. the BP-20 again soon. Then I'll be adding one of the two to my system - but right now I am leaning towards the BP-20. I am still in a bit of shock at the difference these units made.

The RC-1070 sounded much better than my RXV-1400 (the SST could have also played a part in that), but was nowhere in the same league as the BP-20 or the VTL in my opinion.

My dealer will let me bring home anything I want and plug it into my system to see how it will sound, I am going to be doing this – my suggestion would be for you to try to do the same.

Cheers,
                  Keith

Comment

• NMG
                    • Oct 2004

Nice review KEF. I agree with you 100% about the difference the preamp made . . . I noticed it in my system as well. I would also expect that there would be a difference between the 1070 and the BP-20 given the price difference . . . at least there should be

I never did A/B it to the Bryston stuff (although my dealer does have it), but to be honest, it was out of my price range for what I was willing to spend right now. If I were going to spend that kind of money , I think it would go into a speaker upgrade first.

I think the Rotel gear is a little "warmer" than the Bryston gear I have listened to. My buddy had a pair of Studio 60's with Bryston stuff and it sounded very good but a little different than my system. I would almost describe it as being somewhat "clinical" in how it handled the music. I suppose allot depends on your own tastes. I liked the fact that the Rotel stuff tended to take a little of the edge off of the aluminum tweeters that are used in the Studio's. I'm not sure I would enjoy pairing the Bryston stuff with the Studio's, but there is no doubt it is top end gear. I haven't heard it with the B&W's but it sure sounds like you have found a winner for your particular system and that is the key.

Good luck with your choice and have fun with the auditioning!

Comment

• Twincam
                      • Feb 2004

Thanks Keith. I am also interested in a RC 1090 (and a RB 1080). I am keen to know how it compares against the (more expensive) Bryston amps. Keep us posted.

Comment

• Kevin97225
                        • Oct 2004

KEF, let us know what you think after you listen to the RC-1090.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"