X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boxer82003
    • Apr 2006

RMB 1077 vs Rmb 1075

i dont need a 7 channel amp the option to upgrade is nice but for a 5 channel system which is the better choice.regardless of price
    Main Linn Ninka
    Center Linn AV5120
    Rear Linn Ninka
    Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
    Amp Rotel RMB-1075
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

With price not a concern the 1077 hands down. A 1095 would be a better comparison for the 1077.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

I agree. the 1075 is no match for the 1077. (1077 doubles down in 4 ohms easily too)

Comment

• apodaca
        • Jun 2006

Below are two links that show performance in lab in both multi and stereo.

and

Based on the measurements, it seems the 1075 is more robust.

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

wow that review murders the 1077. it looks like they test stuff differently than other reviewers

quotes:

With all five channels driven into 8ohms, the Rotel clipped (1% THD+noise) at 131 watts per channel at both 20Hz and 1kHz. Into 4ohms, clipping occurred at 204Wpc at 20Hz and 212Wpc at 1kHz. With two channels driven, the RMB-1075 clipped at 161Wpc into 8ohms and 264Wpc into 4ohms. All results presented here are for the left channel, to the nearest watt, at a line voltage of 120V.—TJN

Driving seven channels into 8Ω, the Rotel delivered 130Wpc at 20Hz and 118Wpc at 1kHz before clipping (1% THD+noise).

Into 4Ω with seven channels driven, the amp's current protection circuit kicked in before the continuous output reached the 1% THD+noise level. The output just before protection engagement was 73Wpc at 20Hz and 74Wpc at 1kHz. The Rotel's instantaneous power output with real-world program material should be closer to the results obtained with only two channels driven (below).

With just two channels driven into 8Ω, the RMB-1077 delivered 133Wpc at 1kHz at clipping (1% THD+noise). Into 4Ω, two channels driven, it delivered 257Wpc at 1% THD+ noise at 1kHz.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by apodaca
            Below are two links that show performance in lab in both multi and stereo.

and

Based on the measurements, it seems the 1075 is more robust.
            Based on measurements a lot of things will appear more robust. However if you listen to it you can throw measurements out the window. I went from the 1095 (which on paper is even more robust) and you couldn't pay me to go back.

Kevin D.

Comment

• apodaca
              • Jun 2006

What concerns me is the frequency response of the 1077 at the extremes and I know it was brought up in this forum before. I believe the analogs are more extended, since in both professional reviews that are available for 1077 they mention the treble is recessed.

It really all boils down to system matching and the fact that this small digital box can put out respectable numbers compared to amps many times its size. The used market will be a good indicator of the performance of these amps, so far I have seen a few go little over the 1k mark - not encouraging.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

The one thing I find most consistantly agreed on this forum is the positive reviews of the RMB 1077. You get the odd person who dissagrees, but it seems to be always someone who basis their opinion on paper, and not their ears.

Has any heard the 1075 vs 1077 and prefered the 1075? I have never seen that posted on here and in addition to auditoning the two myself before ordering the 1077 on the weekend I check.

I doubt Rotel would charge 2-3 times the price for the 1077 over the 1075 if the 1075 outperformed (sounded better) then the 1077.

Comment

• BigBlue1974
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
                  The one thing I find most consistantly agreed on this forum is the positive reviews of the RMB 1077. You get the odd person who dissagrees, but it seems to be always someone who basis their opinion on paper, and not their ears.

Has any heard the 1075 vs 1077 and prefered the 1075? I have never seen that posted on here and in addition to auditoning the two myself before ordering the 1077 on the weekend I check.

I doubt Rotel would charge 2-3 times the price for the 1077 over the 1075 if the 1075 outperformed (sounded better) then the 1077.
                  I think it will often come down to personal taste and opinion on which sounds better. Naturally though the 1077 should be pricier as it's 7 channel versus 5 channel and it is also a much newer model in terms of how long it's been available on the market which will also tend to elevate the price.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                    • Apr 2006

I had a chance to audition the 1077. Very impressed. That's all i can say. This thing drove the B & W 803's without a sweat. Ohhh, also did i say it runs very cool.

Comment

• Clepto
                      • Feb 2006

They're also supposed to be making a 5 channel version of the 1077, but it might be a year before it's on the market...

Comment

• dmensi
                        • Aug 2006

How do you like the RMB1075 with your Paradigms, I am looking for an amp to drive my studio 100's.

Comment

• Pez
                          • May 2004

After going through some equipment changes I was going to get a 1075 but the store didnt have any in stock (which they usually do). I figured why not use this opportunity to try out the 1077 and I ended up leaving with one. It may have been more than double the price of the 1075 but I would have still needed to get another 2 channel amp for a second zone. Having 7 channels in such a small package with amps that can handle some demanding speakers is a great thing. I was a little worried that I was giving up performance for convenience but I certainly dont feel that way after having it in my system for a few months.

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by apodaca
                            What concerns me is the frequency response of the 1077 at the extremes and I know it was brought up in this forum before. I believe the analogs are more extended, since in both professional reviews that are available for 1077 they mention the treble is recessed.
                            Yes the treble is a little relaxed vs the 1095, but that was good for me. With my brighter CDM's I had always had to put the treble on -2. With the 1077 my tone controls are now set to bypass.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mike c
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pez
                              ... I would have still needed to get another 2 channel amp for a second zone. Having 7 channels in such a small package with amps that can handle some demanding speakers is a great thing. I was a little worried that I was giving up performance for convenience but I certainly dont feel that way after having it in my system for a few months.
                              since there is only 1 trigger input on the 1077 ...

do you turn on the amp everytime you use the HT or second zone?

or

do you leave it on?

Comment

• mjb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mike c
                                since there is only 1 trigger input on the 1077 ...

do you turn on the amp everytime you use the HT or second zone?

or

do you leave it on?
                                FWIW, I turn mine off. Although each module only consumes around 10 watts when idle, there are 7 modules meaning some 70 watts are consumed doing nothing. This compares with 3 watts in standby. Got to think of those electricity bills, and the environment :T
                                - Mike

Main System:
                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Pez
                                  • May 2004

Mike C - I leave my amp on all the time.

Comment

• mars
                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mike c
                                    wow that review murders the 1077. it looks like they test stuff differently than other reviewers
                                    quotes:

With all five channels driven into 8ohms, the Rotel clipped (1% THD+noise) at 131 watts per channel at both 20Hz and 1kHz. Into 4ohms, clipping occurred at 204Wpc at 20Hz and 212Wpc at 1kHz. With two channels driven, the RMB-1075 clipped at 161Wpc into 8ohms and 264Wpc into 4ohms. All results presented here are for the left channel, to the nearest watt, at a line voltage of 120V.—TJN

Driving seven channels into 8Ω, the Rotel delivered 130Wpc at 20Hz and 118Wpc at 1kHz before clipping (1% THD+noise).

Into 4Ω with seven channels driven, the amp's current protection circuit kicked in before the continuous output reached the 1% THD+noise level. The output just before protection engagement was 73Wpc at 20Hz and 74Wpc at 1kHz. The Rotel's instantaneous power output with real-world program material should be closer to the results obtained with only two channels driven (below).

With just two channels driven into 8Ω, the RMB-1077 delivered 133Wpc at 1kHz at clipping (1% THD+noise). Into 4Ω, two channels driven, it delivered 257Wpc at 1% THD+ noise at 1kHz.
                                    To say the 1077 was "murdered" is probably on overstatement:
                                    Amps designed for reproducing music are optimzed for delivering transients not sine waves generated from test equipment. I'm not sure how meaningful these "continuous" measurements are with regard to a switching Class D amp--the above reviewer admits as much in a parenthetical comment. I suppose they can reveal differences in power supply for amps using a bias current, but even there such tests are interesting at best as they do not replicate what an amp does in use, nor what it's designed to do. Comparing the 1077 with 2 vs 7 channels driven is also not terribly meaningful as the left and right channels use more powerful 250ASP icepower modules vs 200ASC's for the remaining five.
                                    You can probably tell that I'm somewhat skeptical of benchmark comparisons for AV gear, suffice to say it may take some time for the review industry (anyone who doesn't recognize it as an industry is kidding themself) settles on appropriate benchmarks for digital amps.
                                    What I can tell you that when it came time for me to lay my coin on the counter for new amp(s) the 1077 was able to drive my "difficult" older NHT (min impedance in the 3's) speakers effortlessly at higher sound pressure levels more cleanly than a 1075 (or any of the other multis) I auditioned. I found the sound very pleasing and detailed without much added color or emphasis--which is what I look for in an amp. YMMV

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"