X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len73
    • Jan 2005

Upgrade : RMB-1075 -> RMB-1077

Hello there,

My dealer just rent me a RMB-1077 (last piece - end of life, but huge discount).

I installed it next to my current RMB-1075 and I am trying to test them simultaneously. First feeling : the 1077 seems to produce tighter bass and softer mids and highs.

Two points here :

1) Have you got any advice to make this comparison as easy as possible ? (I always have to unplug and plug the signals and speaker cables...not easy and bit to long in my opinion.)

2) In the same idea, what advice would you gave me to really get out the most from such a comparison (I do not want to make a mistake).

I will have to make a decision by the end of this week-end, so any advice is more than welcome.

Cheers,

Len
  • Ferres
    • Jan 2007

I own a RMB-1077 and the first day out of the box I noticed the bass was very weak. It took 4 days to a week to get the bass out.

Plays great but really needs some break in time.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Len, direct comparisons are always hard but the best way is to probably listen to a few favorite tracks on one, then swap over to the other and listen to the same tracks again, then decide which presentation which you preferred over all.

I also moved from a 1075 to 1077 and I was really very pleased with it. The 1077 is a great amp. I loved the tighter base and softer mids and highs that you've already noticed too.

IMO, the "run in" period has more to do with YOU getting used to the sound, than the electronic components bedding in.

Enjoy the new amp :T
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Ferres
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by mjb

IMO, the "run in" period has more to do with YOU getting used to the sound, than the electronic components bedding in.

Enjoy the new amp :T
        The lack of significant bass plus the need for a higher volume setting is not something that can be put off as a placebo effect. I had to use a subwoofer, something I don't do with music just to have a semblance of normality. I was starting to think it was a bad purchase. 8O

But by the 4th day, bass was finally back up and the volume was turned back down. And I stopped using the subwoofer. :roll:

I did not have a similar experience with the RB 1092, out of the box it had great tight bass. :T

Comment

• sprout
          • Jun 2005

Make sure you use a sound meter to ensure the same over all listening volumes (SPL).

This is vital IMHO as it is easy to crank the one you feel you favour up slightly over the other and this can often seem to point to the winner, but may be false.

Ironically, I think I have owned most Rotel amps over the years but I to have a 1077 coming this week, which will be my first Class D experience :T

Comment

• len73
            • Jan 2005

Hello there,

Well. After some weeks of test, I finally have decided to get the 1077.
            BUT, at the moment, I still have the 1075 sitting im my HT, next to the 1077.

I am now asking myself if both could live together...

Well, my idea would be to bi-amp all front speakers (center + L + R) through the 1077 (digital), and amplify the rears (at the moment only 2 channels - some more planned in 2010) via the 1075.

Would such a scheme make sense or is it pure heresy (to mix a/b and digital amplification).

Thank you for you comment and feed-back.

Regards,

Len

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

I just moved up from a 1075 to a 1077. I believe its a better sounding amp for my setup. The high end frequencies seem a little rolled off thus producing a little darker sound IMO. The bass seems a little more controlled. I like it.

I used the 1075 to power other speakers located throughout my home in a 2nd and 3rd zone. Overkill yes. But I had it, so I'd prefer to use it.

Comment

• srb
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by len73
                Hello there,
                I am now asking myself if both could live together...

Well, my idea would be to bi-amp all front speakers (center + L + R) through the 1077 (digital), and amplify the rears (at the moment only 2 channels - some more planned in 2010) via the 1075.

Would such a scheme make sense or is it pure heresy (to mix a/b and digital amplification).
                Len
                Certainly both could co-exist. There would most likely be less of a difference in sound using a different amplifier for the rears than using a slightly different rear speaker.

But I have found passive bi-amping to give marginal improvement most of the time. The reason being is that the mid/tweeter may only be using 10% of the amplifier's power or energy versus the woofer, so there isn't a lot to gain.

Some people like to passively bi-amp, not for the (marginal) increase in power, but because they can choose the type of amplifier sound they prefer for low and high duties. (Like gutsy bass-controlling solid state amp for the lows, and a lower power tube amp for mids/highs).

Unlike active bi-amping, each amplifier is still amplifying a full-range signal and the signal is still going through passive crossovers, which are soaking up power just the same.

That being said, you can certainly try, but I would perform a carefull comparison to see if there really is an audible difference for you. Otherwise I would put the money gained from the 1075 sale into something else that might give your system a more audible improvement.

Steve

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

len73,

srb pretty much covers my thoughts when I read your idea. You can definitely use the 1077 to bi-amp, and the 1075 for surround duty. But it may not yield a ton. I've passively biamped a couple of times with only modest results. I've found bigger amps, and very high current stereo amps add quite a bit more, even in HT.

Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by htsteve; 03 November 2009, 22:55 Tuesday.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Nice amp.
                    I find bi amping not as important. What speakers do you own? I don't remember reading which ones you own. Anyway I would sell the RMB1075 and put that money to good use. The RMB1075 holds it's value very well and is a fantastic amp.

Good luck with the RMB1077 , I listened to it a few times and I like it a lot. I really like Rotel's Digital amps. They sound fantastic.

Comment

• len73
                      • Jan 2005

Thank you so much for all your comments.

I will give a try to this combo, but think of getting a 1572 for the mains as I use my system for 60% Stereo and 40% HT.

My current speakers are Monitor Audio GS20.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"