X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DER
    • Sep 2006

About to pull the trigger: RMB-1075, 1095, or 1077

I have a home theater with B&W 803s front and surrounds with the HTM-3 center and a powered subwoofer. I'm upgrading my electronics and have pretty much decided on Rotel. My room is ~3500 cubic feet and I am struggling in my decision about which amp to buy. I'd appreciate any thoughts from others. The RMB-1075 may be sufficient, but I wonder whether I should up the power with the RMB-1095. Alternatively, I've seen good reviews of the RMB-1077 which, while giving me 2 more channels than I need, would be smaller and run cooler.
    Cost isn't a huge issue (although I obviously don't want to throw out money), given the amount I have invested in speakers.
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

I was where you are now a few weeks ago and decided to get the 1077. You can use the 6th and 7th channels to biamp the 803s thus using all seven channels.

Comment

• 2manyremotes
      • Oct 2006

803s want current

I have the org. 803N and SCM1N and the org HTM1N and found that I would not want any less power then the RMB1095 for the 803. They just start sounding good at 60 on the volume and the 803N purrrred at 70. They love power.
      ;x(

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

yea..although the 1077 is an extremly efficient amp @100wx7, speakers that are more power hungry still would need more power? I can't imagine the 100 watts are capable of trying speakers that spec'd at 200+ watts to louder and dynamic levels? Is there something about the Class D 1077 that I don't know about?

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

A 200 watt speaker doesn't need a 200 watt amp. The 1077 is very capable, you'd be surprised!
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Dont be fooled by the 100 wpc spec of the 1077. 100 watts may not seem like a lot but its the quality of those watts that counts.

Comment

• 2manyremotes
              • Oct 2006

B&W 800 series do unless you want to max your amp all the time. But it depends on the room and your listening level. I am sure the 1077 would work fine with biamping the 6&7

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Went from 1095 to 1077

Originally posted by DER
                I have a home theater with B&W 803s front and surrounds with the HTM-3 center and a powered subwoofer. I'm upgrading my electronics and have pretty much decided on Rotel. My room is ~3500 cubic feet and I am struggling in my decision about which amp to buy. I'd appreciate any thoughts from others. The RMB-1075 may be sufficient, but I wonder whether I should up the power with the RMB-1095. Alternatively, I've seen good reviews of the RMB-1077 which, while giving me 2 more channels than I need, would be smaller and run cooler.
                Cost isn't a huge issue (although I obviously don't want to throw out money), given the amount I have invested in speakers.
                DER,

I had a similar issue. My room is smaller (about 2000 cf) and I have N804's, HTM1 and 705's for rears. I had a 1080 running the 804's and a 1095 running everything else before. I got a 1077 and bi-amped the front three. I use a 1066 to power my rears and a second zone. The overall performance of this set-up is better than before (do a search on my other posts, you can find a review of the 1077). Don't let the 100 wpc fool you. The 1077 is quite capable. Couple the performance with the small size and low heat output, and you get a terrific package. As bullitt suggested, you could bi-amp the 803's and run the rest all from the 1077. Another alternative is to bi-amp the front three speakers and run your rears off your existing amp/receiver (space permitting).

As to your other candidates, the 1095 is a bit less expensive and a very good amp, but I also feel that the 1077 is more refined. Given the size of your room, I am wondering if the 1075 would be enough to do the job. The price certainly is better than the other two.

Hopefully you can demo the 1077 and 1095. Then let your ears decide.

Hope this helps.

PS My wife refers to the 1077 as the mini-beast. Mini for size and beast for performance. The 1077 has good WAF.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I 'upgraded' from a 1075 & 1080 combo to the 1077: and this little chap kicks butt! It might look small, but it packs a mighty punch. Its incredible! A 12 inch tower replaced with a 3 inch box that IMO way out performs the former. Don't let its size fool you
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"