X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

What Speakers With RMB 1077

I just picked up an RMB 1077 and would like any insight as to what speakers pair well with this amp. I will be running a 5 channel HT system using a spliiter cable to bi amp the from speakers separately therefore using all 7 channels of power.

Electronics Include
    RSX 1056 used as aprocessor until the new 1099 is released.
    Arcam 137 combi player.
    Pioneer 5070 plasma.

Estimationg 70% for movies and 30% for music. Willing to spend what I need to in order to utilize the amp to its fullest potential but not overdue it.

Thanks for your insight. Ed ;x(
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

Depends a lot on budget. And the RMB-1077 will drive a lot of speakers. I am looking at your RSP-1099 plans and thinking your budget it reasonable so... Two standout choices for my tastes are:

B&W 803D series with the HTM2D centres and SCMS surrounds
    Or
    JM Labs Electra 1027BE with their matching centre and surrounds.

Of course you could go more down market in either range and still get great results. For example the B&W 803S or 804S makes a nice system as does their 703 with the HTM3 centre.... JM Labs have similar models down.

Geoff

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

Really, speakers are the most subjective part of an audio system. One person may love a speaker while another thinks it stinks, even if they are both expensive and quality speakers. Your amp can drive virtually any set of speakers so you need to allot a substantial amount of time listening to different speakers so that the choice you make will make you happy. Your room and source material will have much greater effect on any speaker than your amp choice. I use Martin Logans with my 1095 and they sound great. Paradigm has just come out with a new Signature line with new tweeters and midrange drivers. Thiel has some great new models including a $1000 each bookshelf that can be used for all five or seven speakers along with a sub. Speaker listening is great fun and there is no substitute for it when you make a decision you will live with for a long time! The bonus is your amp weighs only twenty pounds. You can make arrangements to take it to most quality dealers and have it drive the speakers you are auditioning. Remember that most likely the speakers you hear at a dealer will not sound the same as they do at home, so try to arrange a home test of two of the models that you like best to hear how they sound in your setup. You have great gear so I suspect that your personal taste plus room character will have the biggest effect on sound. Take your time and enjoy yourself. You will find what you want. :P

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
        • Sep 2006

Okay here is my experience so far, I have just set up my system so I have been doing some research. With a RMB-1077, I am using B&W 804S for fronts, B&W HTMS3 center channel. I am bi-amping the 804S (I know this could start another conversation) and bi-wiring the center. The last two channels drive the surrounds. I am using a Rotel RSX-1057 to act as the processor and drive the back two speakers (7.1). The RMB-1077 really does a good job of driving a clean sound with solid bass especially for movies, for two channel adding in the sub makes the whole system sound much more dynamic. But I like Metallica/Green Day/AC/DC/Ramones so the more bass the better. I had some friends over the other day and I go up to about 75 and they were impressed that we could not speak to each other :P , hey even at age 50 it's fun to rock.

My brief knowlege mirrors Shadow and Geoff much of this is what your budget and preferences are. When I listened to KEF speakers in my space with the same electronics the sound was much more bright which I did not like. I will say that I am really pleased with how much punch the 1077 had in every set up I had at home or with what I heard at the store, hopefully I do not sound too sophmoric :E , but for the size it really drove all four sets of speakers I have heard very well (B&W 704/B&W 804S/KEF/Martin Logan). Very neutral but a lot of oomph. My wife also loves it (it's so cute) and that did not hurt.

Best of luck listening. I had so much fun listening (do tell my bosses but I would make these small detours on my sales calls). My kids still think I am obsessed with "speakers", I guess there are worse curses. arty:

Comment

• bullitt731
          • Aug 2005

Sticky Hawk,

Your system sounds very similar to what I am considering, what sub are you running. I just sold my Signature 805s and Velodyne SPL 1200R which I thought was an excellent combination for my first system. I want to possibly move up to a floor stander, or I may just get the updated 805s set up and a Velodyne DD12.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"